PDA

View Full Version : Are you allowed to carry Paintgun in luggage?

RavishingEddie
02-20-2008, 10:49 PM
I might do some traveling soon and I was wondering how I would go about transporting my paintball marker. I know the tank has to have a removable reg, but is it allowed for my to carry a paintball gun in my luggage or will it be confiscated?

wetwrks
02-20-2008, 11:04 PM
You need to contact the specific airlines you are taking. I would bet that like forearms they each have their own specific rules. I will tell you that there isn't any reason you cannot take it in your checked luggage. Just the specifics of how they want it handled.

mag79
02-20-2008, 11:08 PM
If you call the airline dont tell that it is a paintball gun, say marker and go from there.

I fly back and forth from ATL to NYC with my markers in checked baggage and never had a problem.

pmstc
02-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Personally I would just take every last piece apart and store them in different parts of your luggage to be safe. But then I guess it could look like a bomb. Who knows.

mag79
02-20-2008, 11:20 PM
Personally I would just take every last piece apart and store them in different parts of your luggage to be safe. But then I guess it could look like a bomb. Who knows.

Take it apart but keep them together, you dont want it to look like your hiding something. I just remove my barrel. I work at delta airlines and as far as Delta is concerned you can even check a firearm as long as its not loaded.

robnix
02-20-2008, 11:59 PM
I might do some traveling soon and I was wondering how I would go about transporting my paintball marker. I know the tank has to have a removable reg, but is it allowed for my to carry a paintball gun in my luggage or will it be confiscated?

FAA rules allow you to take the marker in your checked baggage with no tank attached. You should state that you're checking it. Tanks can go in checked luggage with the regulator removed, state that you have the tank as well.

Spider-TW
02-21-2008, 09:12 AM
There is a TSA web page on paintball markers. They are not considered firearms, but they do have their own rules. You can't carry on a marker, but you can check it. Some have disappeared and I wish I knew if declaring them in your luggage would help those odds or not.

mpsd
02-21-2008, 10:57 AM
I've been traveling with paintball markers for the last ten years and never had a problem with it. In fact, I do have some funny stories about it:

- In 2000 I went to California visit my parents (they lived there for a year and a half) and, after spending a month with them for vacation I travelled from San Francisco to Miami, where I was going to try a relocation inside the company I was working for. They just opened an office there and I was going to be the technical manager for IT infrastructure consulting services (unfortunatelly that didn't work, since this new branch couldn't really do good business there and closed shortly after). When I arrived at the Miami international airport, three FBI guys stoped me close the bagage claim and asked to talk with me. My Minimag was in the bag, as well as several other equipment like the Air System, mask and so on. They made me some questions and, after some chat, they realized I was cool with it and wasn't doing anything wrong. They asked me if I was carring a gun or a rifle. I laughed and showed them my "rifle" and, when they see it, they laughed too... My Minimag had a complete splash kit and they realized it was just a paintball marker and let me go.

- In 2006 I went to Miami, for my sister's wedding, and took my e-Mag with me for a complete upgrade (done by Tunaman). When I arrived back in Brazil, I went to the customs department (they choose who goes to customs when you get you baggage) and had to put my bag into the X-Ray machine. Don't need to say that the three ladies saw the e-Mag, assembled with the battery case and everything and they kind of jumped :). They asked me to open my bag and said: "you know, there's something in your bag that I would like to see... I don't know what it is but took my attention". I, again laughed, since I knew what she was talking about - of course - and opened my bag. When she got to the Mag, she asked what was it and I told her: it's just an used paintball marker. I went to US and took it with me. She laughed and let me go.

- Last year, I went to Orlando for the Microsoft TechEd and again took my spare e-Mag, which I had sold here. When I was about to enter the airplane, I saw my bag standing out of it and thought it was really strange so I went to the air company lady and asked what was going on. She told me they separated my bag because there was a machine gun inside it :rofl: can you believe that? I explained what it was and the bag traveled with me, arriving with no problems at all.

So, the main thing is: yes, you can travel with your paintball marker. IF someone asks you anything, just keep calm, don't get nervous and explain what it is. You should have no problems.

Just remember to have your tanks completelly emptied and, if possible, remove the reg from it.

Regards,

Mendel.

RavishingEddie
02-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. It looks like I can carry a marker in my checked luggage then.
:clap:

gunangel
02-21-2008, 05:23 PM
sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm also going to be in the same situation pretty soon and I was wondering if you had to remove your reg in order to check it (never done it it before).

Thanks,
Brian

robnix
02-21-2008, 05:41 PM
sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm also going to be in the same situation pretty soon and I was wondering if you had to remove your reg in order to check it (never done it it before).

Thanks,
Brian

Reread the thread, you'll find your answer.