PDA

View Full Version : RT Classic Velocity Adjuster

BiNumber3
02-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Hey i just got in my RT classic. Was testin it and repaired any leaks i came across, but the velocity adjuster won't turn... at all.

So, i wanted to know if the velocity adjuster should be impossible to turn by hand, and what size allen wrench should be able to fit it (seems previous owner/s warped the hole with too much force perhaps). And should there be a situation where it isn't moveable without possible damagng the valve, what i should do. Tnx

Edit: also was wondering about the star system, do RT's not have it?

kcpaintballpage
02-25-2008, 01:32 AM
rt classic have 2 star when you send it in they will mark it that you have used a star. the damage done to valve was done by user thay willnot fix for free. the star when the gun is realy mess up thay rebuild valve and test it. new orings and seals.

secretweaponevan
02-25-2008, 02:33 AM
Hey i just got in my RT classic. Was testin it and repaired any leaks i came across, but the velocity adjuster won't turn... at all.

So, i wanted to know if the velocity adjuster should be impossible to turn by hand, and what size allen wrench should be able to fit it (seems previous owner/s warped the hole with too much force perhaps). And should there be a situation where it isn't moveable without possible damagng the valve, what i should do. Tnx

Edit: also was wondering about the star system, do RT's not have it?

1/8" iirc, same one that fits the grip frame and field strip screws.

I could never turn it by hand while the gun was aired up, but I could when it was degassed.

PhoenixWolf
02-25-2008, 02:59 AM
A 1/8" allen wrench is what you require. These things were never meant to be finger-adjustable. The wrench should sink in very deeply. Because Automag velocity adjusters are so deep, it's practically impossible to fully strip them to where they cannot be operated. Wear at the surface edge of the velocity adjuster is normal on used Automags, and will not affect operation. Even if it appears rounded out, that's just surface wear. It's only a problem if you cannot adjust it even with a wrench. If that's the case, the velocity adjuster has jumped a groove and is crossthreaded. AGD will need to fix it, if they can.

BiNumber3
02-25-2008, 03:38 AM
ah alright, i was just puttin the allen wrench into the surface part, ill test it out when i can, btw does that outer part turn as well?

PhoenixWolf
02-25-2008, 03:40 AM
Yes, the whole silver thing turns.

lediable
02-25-2008, 07:11 AM
rt classic have 2 star when you send it in they will mark it that you have used a star. the damage done to valve was done by user thay willnot fix for free. the star when the gun is realy mess up thay rebuild valve and test it. new orings and seals.
Unfortunately for myself and all the other classic RT owners, AGD's warranty info on their site states:
"All Automag RTs are out of warranty and are subject to the $65 rebuild fee ($85 for Alaska and Hawaii residents)."

Can't say I've ever had anything other than o-ring problems with my RT though... going to have to find some wood to knock on now...

MANN
02-25-2008, 10:12 AM
if you need another velocity adjustment nut pm me. I think I have some

BiNumber3
02-26-2008, 10:32 PM
well i finally got a chance to check out my valve, the 1/8 allen does go pretty deep, but doesnt actually catch on anything, so there's nothing i can turn. If I go one size smaller, it goes even depper but nothing to turn either.
Any ideas?
And would it be bad to stick the end into a vice n usin a strap wrench?

BiNumber3
03-01-2008, 02:39 AM
Finally got it off, using my biggest vice n my biggest strap wrench, and a lot of wrenching. I think the prev owner over tightened it, way over tight. But looks like it is the nut itself that turns, with nothing inside that does when adjusting. The brass piece within has no wrench hole, and between that and the nut are the springs. I did end up uglifying the adjuster nut tho, from the amount of force needed to even get the nut to budge:/

lediable
03-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Finally got it off, using my biggest vice n my biggest strap wrench, and a lot of wrenching. I think the prev owner over tightened it, way over tight. But looks like it is the nut itself that turns, with nothing inside that does when adjusting. The brass piece within has no wrench hole, and between that and the nut are the springs. I did end up uglifying the adjuster nut tho, from the amount of force needed to even get the nut to budge:/
First, my brass piece (the Regulator Piston Assembly) has a hole, but it isn't a wrench hole. I believe (and may be wrong) that this is where air vents if you crank the velocity up too high. Second, the nut should be the only thing that turns - screw it in, the springs compress and more force is put on the piston, which will cause the velocity to go up. Screw it out, less pressure from the springs, velocity goes down.

I'd suggest paying the $15 for a new Regulator Nut Assembly (http://store.airgundesignsusa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=114&categoryID=23) so you'll at least be able to adjust velocity without a strap wrench. The alternative may be to pay AGD the $65 rebuild fee. Not sure what they include in that, but I'd like to think it would be new o-rings throughout, plus any other part replacement you need.