PDA

View Full Version : Strength of JB weld...

senghing27
02-27-2008, 11:24 PM
So I stripped a screw threads, and i had no access to heli-coils. Sooo. I decided to run jb weld, and put the screw in place... to make ghetto threads. Anybody know the pressure that JB weld can withstand? Thanks

wetwrks
02-28-2008, 12:26 AM
The guy that recommended JB to me said he rebuilds lawn mower engines and uses it to fix engines that have blown a hole in the side. Said they basically glue the engine back together and have never had one come back for issues with the JB fix.

Dunno.

DevilMan
02-28-2008, 01:14 AM
I sealed up a hole in a crankcase cover about the size of a quarter on a 1200 Bandit with some of the stuff.. It's solid as hell if you mix it right.

Mix it as it says, shove in the hole let it cure I would give it a week at least. Don't require that long but it's better then goin in soft. Then tap the hole back out and you should be fine. Only issue you may run into is getting the tap to take in a straight line as the JB may end up being harder than the AL that its in.

DM

Wickwire
02-28-2008, 01:38 AM
I did exactly that to repair X valve threads. Either I didn't put enough steel in the mix, but it turned to dust after one outing. My next choice was this (http://www.rivetnuttool.com/) to repair it. So far so good, as I am running 1000psi in to valve. Just make sure you get the right depth-sized Rivnuts (http://www.enfasco.com/frame4.htm) (if its your X valve that has the problem). I had to modify the Rivnut with a Dremel because I got the wrong depth nut. If its something other than your X Valve threads(ex. ASA threads, grip screw threads) this would be perfect, and the threads will probably outlast the marker.

Unless, if you have a 'Mag :ninja: Good Luck

Wick

halB
03-05-2008, 05:09 PM
I JB welded my feedneck. The first time it fell off. My problem was I didn't sand the anno off. Took me about 3 hours of sanding (I'm meticulous) but afterwards it's holding on uber strong.