PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding hpa tank and regs

aiconstruct
02-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Now i looked and didnt see anything regarding this topic...(if there is a thread all ready im sorry, ill delete this and kick my puppy)

I have a 68ci tank and a raptor reg, it seems getting kits for recplacement parts is almost impossible I've got someone on ao thats gonna be getting some but im talking about on retail sites. Im looking into getting a guriella air myth reg for the interim and im wondering what is the safe procedure for changing a reg on a hpa tank. After accidently removeing the raptor i seen theres no locktight or goo of any sort just medal threads and a oring. Can i safely do this if im careful??? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Brian

BiNumber3
02-29-2008, 12:52 PM
ive heard some just tighten it hand tight, n others use a strap wrench to tighten it. Loctite doesnt seem to be a must, but if u don't plan on removin the reg then u may want to loctite it with some of the weaker stuff.

Madcat_MK2
02-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Yeah its possible. Just use all the hardware included with the reg and when you go to put it on, just use some pipe tape and locktite. I would deffinetly use locktite though because if you try just over tightening you could cause some damage to the bottle. Its better to go easier on the tightening with locktite, then overcompensating without it. If you do use the locktite your probably better going for the medium at least as the weaker blue really doesnt hold too well for what it is. Good luck.

nevtangle
02-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Now i looked and didnt see anything regarding this topic...(if there is a thread all ready im sorry, ill delete this and kick my puppy)

I have a 68ci tank and a raptor reg, it seems getting kits for recplacement parts is almost impossible I've got someone on ao thats gonna be getting some but im talking about on retail sites. Im looking into getting a guriella air myth reg for the interim and im wondering what is the safe procedure for changing a reg on a hpa tank. After accidently removeing the raptor i seen theres no locktight or goo of any sort just medal threads and a oring. Can i safely do this if im careful??? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Brian
First off don't just believe something that someone told you on a web forum. We're dealing with a lot of pressure here. A lot of people don't know what they are talking about. :tard: There is a channel in the threads that is used for a safety measure and shouldn't be blocked with locktite. Most places won't rehydro a tank that has had locktite put on the threads, from what I've heard. Talk to someone that knows what they are talking about or let someone else do it for you.

MANN
02-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Never put loctite on your reg threads. It is NOT nessary. There is nothing wrong with replacing your reg yourself. Make sure there is NO oil/dirt/debris allowed in your tank when you remove your reg. Just screw the old one off, and the new one on. Dont use anything but your hands to tighten it, but make sure you do tighten it as tight as you can.

BiNumber3
02-29-2008, 02:04 PM
well, seems loctite isn't needed then, but my myth came with a tank and was loctited, and guerrilla states that they loctite their 48ci tanks. Though of course they're proffessionals and know how much and where to put the loctite, but if anything, ask yer local shop to do it, or to show you how.

not startin an argument, just stating what my tanks have come with and what i read on guerrilla's faqs a while back

AT&T
03-03-2008, 04:50 PM
I just talked to GA on the phone, they said the Myth output was brtween 650 and 750 pounds. Kinda low for a mag isn't it?

tribalman
03-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Never put loctite on your reg threads. It is NOT nessary. There is nothing wrong with replacing your reg yourself. Make sure there is NO oil/dirt/debris allowed in your tank when you remove your reg. Just screw the old one off, and the new one on. Dont use anything but your hands to tighten it, but make sure you do tighten it as tight as you can.

don't risk it. send it to an airsmith to get done. some regs do use loctite, some don't. the ones that don't are not just hand tightened, they are torqued on. please don't risk it. i peronally don't want a tank flying off someone else's marker because they didn't do something the right way. also, assuming the reg does become loosened and not fully removed, that air goes somewhere. it comes out the vent and what happens when a pressureized tank becomes quickly depresureized? there is a loud noise as the venting occours plus the gas escaping will be cold. i don't know exactly how cold it will be, but it will be cold.(a good i.e. take a c02 tank and fill it. let it cool down to room temp and then hook it up to an spyder/cocker that can use it and just dry fire it until it's empty. how does the tank feel? it's pretty cold isn't it?)

tech-chan
03-03-2008, 07:42 PM
I just picked up a 70/4500 with no reg and I have a maxflo micro. The tank has been shipped to me, do I need to get it cleaned out? Or do I just screw it on there? Or do I send it to somewhere like crossfire and get it done? It has 1 yr left on the hydro so I could just send it in to somewhere and get it both done. What do you think?

SkinnyHare
03-03-2008, 09:00 PM
let it cool down to room temp and then hook it up to an spyder/cocker that can use it and just dry fire it until it's empty. how does the tank feel? it's pretty cold isn't it?)

dunno if i'd use that example, with HPA youre just talking about adiabatic cooling from depressurization. with CO2 you've got adiabatic cooling AND a phase change involved.

di96
03-05-2008, 01:26 AM
I just picked up a 70/4500 with no reg and I have a maxflo micro. The tank has been shipped to me, do I need to get it cleaned out? Or do I just screw it on there? Or do I send it to somewhere like crossfire and get it done? It has 1 yr left on the hydro so I could just send it in to somewhere and get it both done. What do you think?

SP regs are designed to be put on without loctite, so just screw the reg on there and torque it on as with your hands and the reg will be fine. The tank should of been sealed up before shipping to you so nothing gets inside during transit (something tells me this one was :D ). If you want just blow it out with a little air, or just inspect the inside with a flash light. It should be good to go.

For those who want to use loctite here is a decent article on it. If you choose to use it just remember it doesn't take much, about 1 drop on the threads is enough, place the drop somewhere in the middle, it will spread out as you screw it on. torque with hands and let dry for a few hours.

http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/loctite/index.shtml

Another link that may help you if you when you want to retest the tank. Here you can find your local company's that will hydro test the tank. Look for the ones that say high pressure cylinders.

http://hazmat.dot.gov/sp_app/approvals/hydro/hydro_retesters.htm

aiconstruct
03-05-2008, 02:04 PM
They'll customize it for you... I had them do mine 850-1000 adjustable

I just talked to GA on the phone, they said the Myth output was brtween 650 and 750 pounds. Kinda low for a mag isn't it?