PDA

View Full Version : Way to get air fittings closer?

Madcat_MK2
03-01-2008, 04:55 PM
I was just looking at the mag today and I noticed that the macroline ebows kind of stick out a bit from the air fittings holes. I thought about tightening them more to get them closer, but last time I put them in they were pretty tight as it was so I dont want to cause damage to the threads. Anyone else finding this with their mag as well? Would cutting off some of the threads on the macroline fittings get it closer to the body like I want so it be more flush or is that just how they are?

secretweaponevan
03-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Nope. Air fittings are NPT, National Pipe Taper. If you look close at them, you will notice that they are narrow at the nozzle and widen towards the fitting. Even if you ground some of the threads off the nozzle end, it will still only go into the hole so far until it seats.

Maybe someone can help you find some low-profile fittings (on airsoldier perhaps?), but the taper is generally there to take up tolerance differences as it is generally hard to have strict tolerances on Taper threads.

Or maybe you could get a 1/8"-27 NPT die and reduce the diameter far enough up until you get it perfect to your tastes.

Best of luck!

Hilltop Customs
03-01-2008, 06:04 PM
if your using a swivel macro fitting...a standard 90degree macro is slightly lower profile.

Oh and if you put a lot of teflon tape on it....take it off and put it on again with only about 1 1/2-2 wraps. Also if you take the tape and slice it in half and only place it about mid thread it will help get it on a little farther. If you do this, make sure to test it out and listen for leaks so you dont end up with a leaky gun at the field.

other than that...like secretweaponevan says...only other real option would be to use a die on your fitting.