PDA

View Full Version : Computer trouble

Kyle.Kimber
03-02-2008, 12:09 AM
Okay heres the deal.

I just got a new computer for 200 bucks. it has an amd 64 3800+ and sata. I am trying to put my old harddrive from my 32 bit p4 machine into the new one. The old hard drive is ide. When I put it in the new computer which has 2 sata ports and one ide port the thing wont boot fully. Right when you are supposed to see the windows loading bar it just restarts the pc. The harddrive can be seen if I boot with the sata drive. But by itself the ide drive just keeps on makin the computer reset. I need help thanks al ot.

Hilltop Customs
03-02-2008, 01:03 AM
Dunno if youve done this already or not, but check the jumper on the drives. IDK about the sata drives...but the ide harddrive has a jumper on the back to set as boot, slave, or master. Set your ide drive to slave because you just want to access your files right?

http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data/articles/2004/1192/07-optical-jumper.jpg

edit: as you can see its cable select, slave and master.....

Kyle.Kimber
03-02-2008, 01:16 PM
already did that

JJ8VAN
03-02-2008, 01:39 PM
I just went thru almost the same thing when i upgraded. Here is what i did: put my CD drive as slave and kept the HDD as master (with slave present). They are both on the same IDE cable. The hard drive is located on the top bay (where a dvd or cd drive would normally go) and the CD drive underneath. Make sure your pins are right so you have the HDD as master and the CD as slave. When you boot, you must go into the bios and manually set the HDD to slave and the CD as master, or you might be able to get away with saying 'cable select' if you have the option. save the settings to CMOS and you should be good to go.

also, make sure your boot order is such that the CD boots first and then the HDD, so that if you need to load windows from a CD you can.

neppo1345
03-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Why do I get the feeling that your "Lotions" thread and the "Computer trouble" thread are related...

robnix
03-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Okay heres the deal.

I just got a new computer for 200 bucks. it has an amd 64 3800+ and sata. I am trying to put my old harddrive from my 32 bit p4 machine into the new one. The old hard drive is ide. When I put it in the new computer which has 2 sata ports and one ide port the thing wont boot fully. Right when you are supposed to see the windows loading bar it just restarts the pc. The harddrive can be seen if I boot with the sata drive. But by itself the ide drive just keeps on makin the computer reset. I need help thanks al ot.

The problem is that you're trying to boot a hard drive that has Intel chipset drivers installed on it on a computer with an AMD chipset. You can fix this by getting your Windows XP CD, starting the setup, and then repairing the installation.