PDA

View Full Version : E-Mag Owners!!! ACE Board Upgrades!

KC
03-04-2008, 02:59 AM
EDIT: Its a GO! Please See Post 58(this post has been editied) -KC

Pleasa read before you vote. For those of you that dont know, the ace board is an eye found on the X-mag and SFL. The eye looks into the breach to ensure a paintball is chambered and ready to fire. Once that check is complete the electronics of the X-mag will allow the noid to trigger and fire the X-Mag.

Emags can be upgraded with ACE, AND its getting easier!

Recently:
-Papa has found a company to make the discontinued ACE boards (with a few modern improvements) @ a price tag of ~$99.99 With loopers help we will be offering E-mag Ace Board Kits. The kits will come ready to install and include the wires and mounting hardware.

Milling

I plan to work on it (Prototype) one day this 4th of july weekend. I should be able to knock the milling out.

ACE milling on body and a rail will be.....$30
ACE milling on a frame only will be......$30
If you want both done the price will be.....$50
If you want it wired and installed.....$25

New bodies pre milled for ACE!

I intend to offer the ACE option on my bodies in the future. The price will be $25. All XT customs bodies that were not millled for ACE can be sent back and i will do them for $25.
Jay

Board/Software
-The stock emag board and agd software (most) support ace already.
-The Xmod software has made ace adjustment issues a thing of the past.

Benifits
-Prevents chamber chops. Period. The gun cant fire if the paintball isn't chambered.
-Shorter firedelays. ACE delay recovery is much shorter then level 10 recovery.
-Doesn't detract from the aesthetics of your custom E-mag. ACE is completely internal.
-The ACE board power switch eliminating the need for the silly plastic pin.
-Allows easier, more reliable level 10 tunes without chopping.
-Can be used with LVL-7 to gain efficiency and reliability without chopping.

So the question is, would you buy an ace board for your Emag?

wetwrks
03-04-2008, 03:11 AM
I might be interrested in this. I have just recently gone the way of electronics and am still feeling my way around in the dark.

KC
03-04-2008, 03:34 AM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2488461&postcount=8

Sajjad
03-04-2008, 03:54 AM
Yes I'd go for it. My X-Mag doesn't have an ace board. The eye is on a loom so no switch.
I wouldn't mind trying it out on one of my E-Mags either.

evade
03-04-2008, 08:08 AM
As you might have guessed, I am interested.

Ruler_Mark
03-04-2008, 08:43 AM
I actually would like the idea of the sister board to be mounted ontop of the stock board and a eye wire be strung to the breech so that regular emags could have less milling, only a hole and a eye wire channel needed and eye wire could piggy back on where the red wire is strung

Empyreal Rogue
03-04-2008, 09:29 AM
For those that don't want to have their bodies millied (Like most Chord/Karta/Dallara owners), this is the best way to have eyes and not 'disrupt' the beauty of the Deadlywind bodies.

When my E-Mag is complete I'd be on board (*rimshot*) for this. My lowers were once X-Mag lowers in a former life, so only modifications I'd need are to my rail and body.

MiniSpdRcr
03-04-2008, 10:31 AM
I have the board, I just need someone to mill my stuff for me... grrr... :mad:

evade
03-04-2008, 10:37 AM
I have the board, I just need someone to mill my stuff for me... grrr... :mad: That is coming. Luke said he would be willing to do mine for me. He just needs the specs.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226906

robnix
03-04-2008, 11:00 AM
So the question is, would you buy an ace board for your Emag?

No, but I would buy an on/off switch.

MechMags
03-04-2008, 11:47 AM
ACE board maybe.. on/off switch in lieu of that yellow pin - absolutely so if the ACE is a necessary evil or evil for the purpose of good sign my emags up.

MANN
03-04-2008, 12:12 PM
what about ace repair?

MechMags
03-04-2008, 12:21 PM
another question or consideration: once everything is milled out, any recommendations for a lense to cover the eye or is that integral to the ace board?

KC
03-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Ace repair as well as replacement are options I didnt think about. Im sure they could be offered services. Please vote some form of yes for those options.

The eye element has its own protection just like the xmag its built into the component.

UberGeek
03-04-2008, 12:42 PM
I would love a ACE board for my Emag just for the switch but having backup eye for my Lvl 10 is also a plus.
But I'm wondering how hard would it be to mod the rail because I'm not the most mechanically inclined.

Old School 626
03-04-2008, 01:15 PM
KC - I voted "NO - costs" Here's my thinking; The complete and total costs are likely to be north of $200 and I'll have to send my parts out to be machined at that point other markers get in reach like the Mini.

If there where a way to control costs to do the whole conversion for under $150 or less I'd become interested.

KC
03-04-2008, 05:17 PM
KC - I voted "NO - costs" Here's my thinking; The complete and total costs are likely to be north of $200 and I'll have to send my parts out to be machined at that point other markers get in reach like the Mini.

If there where a way to control costs to do the whole conversion for under $150 or less I'd become interested.

Costs are expected to be around $150.00 with some additional shipping charges.

Estimates on milling are averaging about $50.00 or so total.

Papa_Smurf
03-04-2008, 09:09 PM
another question or consideration: once everything is milled out, any recommendations for a lense to cover the eye or is that integral to the ace board?

Why do you need a lens if this is what eliminates breaks? The xmag doesn't have a lens. It has a sleeve, but no lens. The sleeve is made to pop into the body and hold the eye up straight because it sits kind of low.

olinar
03-04-2008, 09:48 PM
I voted for the on/off switch as that it the only down side i see to my emag right now. I dont like having to put the pin in my pocket when i play. I wouldnt want ti flopping around on a string either as that would be teasing nature to have a tree branch rip it right off and fling my whole marker into oblivion.

I was contemplating going from e to full mech due to cost but it looks like i might be coming into come spare cash so I might do both.
Im interested in seeing this project come forth.

Silverback
03-05-2008, 01:05 AM
Absolutely YES! I have been wanting to do this since I got my E-mag!

blake20
03-05-2008, 11:58 AM
$150 for Ace board w/eyes and milling done to rail and body for eyes and board??? is that what you are saying. Sounds pretty cheap to me. It this is correct I'd say yes I have 2 emags that I would like to do that to. Does that mean I get to vote 2 times???

KC
03-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Yes we expect the total to be around $150 for parts and milling. We will be the first to say it could run more, but even then we would expect totals to be no more then $175. Shipping not included.

This is all subject to change but it gives and Idea of what we are shooting for.

Old School 626
03-05-2008, 01:28 PM
KC - This is getting more interesting. Let me ask to better clarify and just in case you have not thought about it.

Does it make a difference which rail we have? Most will probably be stock E mag rails but there are other like RT rails, ULE'd, etc.

Does it make a difference which body we have? Will this be AGE ULE only or SS as well? What about the custom bodies?

Will the fee include a flash to XMOD 1.8 if we don't currently have it?

LMK

KC
03-05-2008, 01:45 PM
KC - This is getting more interesting. Let me ask to better clarify and just in case you have not thought about it.

:ninja: -KC

Does it make a difference which rail we have? Most will probably be stock E mag rails but there are other like RT rails, ULE'd, etc.

No, it should not make a difference. ULE rails may be easier to mod for ace and that might make ace milling cheaper on ule rails. -KC

Does it make a difference which body we have? Will this be AGE ULE only or SS as well? What about the custom bodies?

The only modification to the body is a hole for the ace eye to look into the breach. Any body could be modified for ace. -KC

Will the fee include a flash to XMOD 1.8 if we don't currently have it?

At this time we dont plan to offer the boards as an installed service. -KC

LMK

:cheers: -KC

Empyreal Rogue
03-05-2008, 02:10 PM
i think he just wants to know if the existing board can be flashed, which just means plugging the board into the USB adapter and updating the software. Not replacing or upgrading the actual board itself.

KC
03-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Oh I see that now. The ace board and emag board are different boards. You will still need the emag board and the xmod flashing process will be the same.

Xmod is suggested for this mod.

Ruler_Mark
03-05-2008, 03:10 PM
kcs, could it be possible for the switch to be a port? so we can put a jumper theere and use the yellow pin or do something custom?

KC
03-05-2008, 03:21 PM
I dont really understand the question. If your asking if the switch could be replaced? Im sure it could... but that would be something you would need to do custome. The boards will all be the same to keep the costs down.

LOOKY! http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226906

Ruler_Mark
03-05-2008, 03:31 PM
I dont really understand the question. If your asking if the switch could be replaced? Im sure it could... but that would be something you would need to do custome. The boards will all be the same to keep the costs down.

LOOKY! http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226906

nvm my rambling. count me in for one of these jobs.

evade
03-05-2008, 04:41 PM
nvm my rambling. count me in for one of these jobs.

Unless I am missing something this is not being offered as a single service but rather an amalgamation of products and services. Anyone wanted to be "counted in" should contact the appropriate people.

1) Buy an ace board from Papa_Smurf in his thread here:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226778

2) Have your frame,body and rail milled for ACE by luke of lukescustoms.com or someone else with the specs being documented here:

3) Make an ace cable or buy one from Looper or tunaman and solder it to the board.

4) Buy an amtel ISP programmer from Lornecash and flash to XMOD 1.8(or if you have access to a programmer give him some money anyway)
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=219652

Ruler_Mark
03-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Unless I am missing something this is not being offered as a single service but rather an amalgamation of products and services. Anyone wanted to be "counted in" should contact the appropriate people.

2) Have your frame,body and rail milled for ACE by luke of lukescustoms.com or someone else with the specs being documented here:

3) Make an ace cable or buy one from Looper or tunaman and solder it to the board.

4) Buy an amtel ISP programmer from Lornecash and flash to XMOD 1.8(or if you have access to a programmer give him some money anyway)

im curious what soldering needs to be done?
http://www.airgundesignsusa.com/xmag/html/graphics/wiring.gif looks like it plugs in into the pc board in that pic

evade
03-05-2008, 04:50 PM
That orange wire doesn't come with the ace board. it is solderd to the ace board and plugs into the mainboard.

Ruler_Mark
03-05-2008, 04:52 PM
That orange wire doesn't come with the ace board. it is solderd to the ace board and plugs into the mainboard.

now I feel dumb thinking the wrong board. :shooting:

KC
03-05-2008, 07:04 PM

You are missing something. Im not going though all this work, and contacting members of this board for nothing. The idea is to bring this mod to the community at a a reasonable cost/low hassle upgrade. Not an amalgamation of services. -KC

You cant buy an ace board from him in that thread. Papa and I are officialy working together on this mod and the hope of bringing it to the emag community. -KC

I have already talked to XT and Luke, both parties have expressed interest in the mill work but exact costs are not known at this time. -KC

You cant buy a blank board at this time. Why buy a cable? -KC

Though suggested xmod is not needed. AGD software will work just fine. -KC

The old way of buying several parts from several people and hunting down someone to try to mill the parts, SUCKS. No one wanted to go though it. Thats why so few emags have ace. Papa and I want to change that. Board+Milling=easy -KC

evade
03-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Xmod is something most people have already and is not needed.

Unless they are running 1.37 which has no support for ace.

KC
03-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Unless they are running 1.37 which has no support for ace.

Very good point. I think that agd soft can be flashed for free, in that event, up-to 3.2 legally. But honestly, if someone has 1.37 they should already be looking to upgrade the software. Ace should just be another check in a list of motivating reasons. ;)

flyingpootang
03-05-2008, 09:10 PM
There is no need for an ACE board/eyes, because the L10 bolt is more reliable and cheaper.

KC
03-05-2008, 09:33 PM
There is no need for an ACE board/eyes, because the L10 bolt is more reliable and cheaper.

One could also say that about the Karta. I mean the AGD ULE is lighter and cheaper, why even buy a Karta? I think you see my point. :)

ts not "needed" but it is usefull and pretty dang cool if you ask me.

Id say ACE is more reliable...
The LVX requires much less tuning when you have the ace to back it up. Setting the LVLX too soft makes it less reliable and can lead to bolt stick. With the ace you can set up your LVX kit somewhere in the middle and use the ace as you primary anti chop measure with the LVX backing it up.

Or you can take the level 10 out all together and replace it with a lvl 7 for some added efficiency and a tune free setup.

And then there is the on/off switch. A VERY cool + to the ace board.

-Kristian

KC
03-05-2008, 09:52 PM

Didnt come with the ace board, not doesnt. Nothing is being offered at this time, that includes ace boards. But, if this project becomes a reality... ease of installation will be a huge selling point.

We/I are not going though all this work to exclude and alienate those who cant solder.

Ruler_Mark
03-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Didnt come with the ace board, not doesnt. Nothing is being offered at this time. But, if this project becomes a reality... ease of installation will be a huge selling point.

We/I are not going though all this work to exclude and alienate those who cant solder.
a molex port on the ace board might be smart then, then crimped wires can be made to wire it

evade
03-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Here here, Maybe mounted on its side so clearance won't be an issue

I just noticed that I have the earliest registration date of anyone who has posted in this thread.

a molex port on the ace board might be smart then, then crimped wires can be made to wire it

KC
03-05-2008, 10:16 PM

Very good idea actually.

EDIT: Wouldnt work. this needs to be one board that can be offered to the xmag AND emag owners.

evade
03-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Very good idea actually.

EDIT: Wouldnt work. this needs to be one board that can be offered to the xmag AND emag owners.

If it ships with a double sided cable wouldn't it work on X-mags too?

Looper
03-05-2008, 11:27 PM
a molex port on the ace board might be smart then, then crimped wires can be made to wire it If we are trying to eliminate the soldering for a true plug and play solution it will be very difficult. There are four wire connections on the ACE board and none of them are close to each other.

1. Red 18+ from battery to ACE board

2. Red 18+ Switched power wire from ACE to a solder connection on the back of the main board.

3. Yellow 5+ wire from ACE that gets soldered to the back of the main board.

4. Orange Signal from ACE board that has the 5 port Molex plug on the end

Here here, Maybe mounted on its side so clearance won't be an issue
Anyways here is the Mouser pages for the right angle PCB header plug

2 port
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Ntt=538-53048-0210

3 port
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Ntt=538-53048-0310

Forgive me if these topics get solved above. I've been tearing apart my Xmag to get information and it has taken about an hour to compose this post.

:cheers:

KC
03-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Cost and space are the deterrents. We are trying to keep the boards cost as low as we can.

Officially I can now say that (if and more likely, when) this project comes together the boards will be sold as complete ready to go boards. They will come complete with wires and will only require one soldered point. Edit: (err 2 solder points)

XT has given me permission to let a cat out of the bag. Edited post one.

NEW Phoenix body runs will have the option of ace milling straight from the factory at a cost of only $25.00 (frame milling extra if needed)

KC
03-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Luke and Evade are working with My-SFL to get milling set up at lukes customs.

I will be sending an emag off to mill at XT next week sometime.

This will solidify and refine the milling service and prices associated. :cheers:

KC
03-08-2008, 02:25 PM
BUMP for more votes.

Come on emag owners, VOTE!

03-08-2008, 02:43 PM
so what Im reading, this wouldnt work with a twistlock body, unless the barrel was also drilled to allow the ACE to see into the breech

KC
03-08-2008, 02:46 PM
so what Im reading, this wouldnt work with a twistlock body, unless the barrel was also drilled to allow the ACE to see into the breech

Correct, just send the barrel in with the other parts. ;)

evade
03-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Correct, just send the barrel in with the other parts. ;)

would the eye protrude into the outer diameter of the barrel at all? If it does it might be difficult to twist. :confused:

KC
03-08-2008, 08:11 PM
would the eye protrude into the outer diameter of the barrel at all? If it does it might be difficult to twist. :confused:

EDIT: The eye can read far enough away that it shouldnt be an issue. The ace eye would just have to be installed lower... I dont know exactly how we are going to handle it, but It shouldnt be an issue.

vikking_1
03-08-2008, 09:53 PM
i would love an on/off switch as i have misplaced my pin and havent found it yet. if i could have just an on/off and my board with xmod i would be happy.

KC
03-10-2008, 03:26 PM
i would love an on/off switch as i have misplaced my pin and havent found it yet. if i could have just an on/off and my board with xmod i would be happy.

You wouldnt save much with just an on/off, better to just spring for the ace board. imo.

KC
03-12-2008, 06:30 PM
SO we only have about 55 emag owners here on ao?

please vote...

MANN
03-12-2008, 06:46 PM
SO we only have about 55 emag owners here on ao?

please vote...

sounds about right. Each of us just own a half dozen :p

Dark Side
03-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Any possibility on getting a warped Emag with eyes? I just can't let go of my Warp.

KC
03-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Any possibility on getting a warped Emag with eyes? I just can't let go of my Warp.

Sure, why not? The warp body is no different then the other ULE bodies. The milling work wouldn't be any different.

KC
03-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Im sure most of you understand what this thread was hinting at. We have enough inplace now that Papa_Smurf and I would like to announce we will be selling E-Mag ACE board upgrades soon. X-Mag & SFL ace board replacements will aslo be available.

Looper has agreed to make signal wire kits for us. more details soon.

Next week we will be sending an emag off to XT along with a New ACE Board and my own X-Mag. This step will provide XT will the info he needs to mill the bodies, rails and frames.

Once we have the emag back in our hands we will make any corrections, if needed, and
the milling service though XT will "go live."

At that point a thread will be setup in the dealer section to begin the pre-sale of Ace Board replacements as well as E-mag upgrade kits.

Please post any questions you might have. :cheers:

-Kristian <excited! :dance:

Ruler_Mark
03-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Joy!,, mabey you should look into some rubber gromets to cover the hole where the switch is and all raw metal caused by this. so that we wouldnt have to get the guns re-annoed.

Empyreal Rogue
03-13-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm anxious to see before/after pictures. I've seen some ACE work on E-Mags with little slots milled into rails, but I never understood the purpose since X-Mags didn't have it. I always thought the design behind the ACE allowed all the milling to be inside the rail/body/frame so that nothing showed on the outside, gave everything a more seamless look, which is the exact route I'm taking with my E-Mag project.

Is it for the on/off switch? If so, couldn't that be re-routed someway? Couldn't it be possible to take advantage of the hole in the battery pack, thread it and insert a toggle switch or pressure button? That would certainly make the overall price a bit more expensive but would be a nice option, even if we have to buy the button/switch and re-wire the whole thing ourselves.

Thoughts, opinions?

KC
03-14-2008, 02:26 AM
The ace board switch slot is very small. About the size of 2 q-tip sticks layed side by side. Its actually smaller then the hole in the battery case. :)

When I was lookin at putting the 1000mah battery packs together I explored the idea of a battery pack top that included an on/off switch. After alot of trial I don't think its worth it ... especially now that the ace boards are on the horizon.

Ruler_Mark
03-14-2008, 10:23 AM
The ace board switch slot is very small. About the size of 2 q-tip sticks layed side by side. Its actually smaller then the hole in the battery case. :)

When I was lookin at putting the 1000mah battery packs together I explored the idea of a battery pack top that included an on/off switch. After alot of trial I don't think its worth it ... especially now that the ace boards are on the horizon.

any word on a gromet idea?

KC
03-14-2008, 03:57 PM
any word on a gromet idea?

I dont think its needed. Honestly. Im having my 2005 Karta milled for ACE and I have no plans of re-annoing. If you find something you think will work, im all for you posting it up. I just dont think its needed.

KC
03-14-2008, 06:46 PM
The signal wire will have a mode lock jumper similar to the one found in the xmod manual. This is a great feature for rec players, where selectable modes of fire are allowed.

Ruler_Mark
03-18-2008, 07:38 PM
any eta on when all services will be avalible?

KC
03-18-2008, 10:22 PM
any eta on when all services will be avalible?

Well the prototype is here in CO. Its going off to XT in the next day or so. Once I get it back we will be launching a pre-order thread.

Once we have the orders placed it will take 4-5 weeks to get the boards in.

-Kristian

KC
03-18-2008, 11:45 PM
just got word from looper that the prototype install kit is shipping tomorrow. :bounce:

KC
07-01-2008, 01:29 AM
If anyone hasnt voted, please do so.

-The prototyle should be done very soon.
-Install kits are going to be built inhouse. (looper has helped greatly in the sourcing and prototyping.)
-XT will also be offering the milling along with install service.
-DW has sent me word that New DW bodies can be milled with ace straight from DW.
-XT will infact offer ACE milling services on New XT bodies.
-RRfireblade has accepted our invitation to mill parts for ace board installation.

Feel free to ask questions. -Kristian

Ratt
07-01-2008, 02:52 AM
Personally, I am more concerned with the on/off switch than I am with the ACE. But, if getting a switch installed costs almost as getting the whole kit, then I guess I am in. It just might be a while before I am able to cough up the dough to get this upgrade.

MechMags
07-01-2008, 07:52 AM
any approximation when a prelaunch thread might get going?

KC
07-02-2008, 12:53 PM
I plan to work on it (Prototype) one day this 4th of july weekend. I should be able to knock the milling out.

ACE milling on body and a rail will be.....$30
ACE milling on a frame only will be......$30
If you want both done the price will be.....$50
If you want it wired and installed.....$25

Those are pretty cheap prices.

I intend to offer the ACE option on my bodies in the future. The price will be $25. All XT customs bodies that were not millled for ACE can be sent back and i will do them for $25.
Jay

-Kristian

BenoitOWN
07-03-2008, 12:36 AM
I am wondering something, this is just a extra board for the eye + eye? It still use the same agd board?

Sent XT a pm

paintball72
07-03-2008, 10:45 AM
how long are you planning to have this service available because it will definately be awhile before i am able to cough up the cash for an ace board setup. but its awsome what you guy's are doing :headbang:

KC
07-05-2008, 11:04 PM
BenoitOWN. The board will be an exact agd ace board clone. These boards were once only found in the Xmag and SFL but can now be installed into modified emags.

paintball72. Thanks, were are pretty proud of what we have accomplished. The parts and services will be available as long as their is demand for them.

KC
07-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Milling is all done!!!!!!! It fits perfect.

~Jay

-Kristian

paintball72
07-06-2008, 01:16 AM
i just had an idea could an ace board work with a hyperframe. i have a 20 bps hypermag that id love to get eyes on, i guess id even be willing to put a new board in there. so i guess the question is will the ace work with a stock 20bps board or a utb (the only other board i know that fits in there)

just thinkin :rolleyes:

Silverback
07-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Jay,

Got any pictures of the machined body/rail.... (like maybe, the Phoenix body and rail your machining for moi?)

I getting as excited as a pubesant teen back-stage at a Vegas show!!!!! :p

KC
07-09-2008, 04:06 PM
ACE milling and install services have gone live! Check out XTs thread in the dealer section. :headbang:

Papa and I will start taking orders for boards in the comming week(s) :cheers:

-Kristian