PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to all the old markers?

punkncat
03-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Lol I know they are out there somewhere, collecting dust in the bottom of a closet. There were how many tens of thousand Impulses made and sold...now days you would never see one on field. Old GZ Timmies that don't see the light of day anymore. Diablo trixes being used as boat anchors.....
I have a woodsballing buddy that still uses his old Shocker 4x4 every game. That thing is in such bad shape. There is a zip tie holding the front of the frame on. Still has air assist on it. We joke with him all the time that maybe, just maybe, he should consider retiring the old shoebox but he will have none of it.

I have recently been digging up some old markers and getting them working again. I have a line on the first Spyder One I ever owned. It hasn't been used in seven years or so. I ressurected an OLD pre 98 cocker, I am unsure of the year, but its one of the block types. I am getting a 32* Impy back up to speed after sitting for about six years minus one game.
I figured what the heck. These old things are still workable. Kind of in that forgotten age in between truly old and just out of fashion.

BigEvil
03-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Good question. Ive wondered the same thing.

Dawg047
03-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Alot of Timmys get hacked up for experimental Dremmel jobs and eventually thrown away. I see alot of Impulse bodys that get thrown away. Also, there are quite a few Sporting goods stores and paintball shops that still have NIB markers like GZ timmys and Impulses on the shelves. They most of the time know nothing about the product they are selling and are still selling them for what they went for 5 years ago. I see alot of Cockers this way. Also, I see alot of these "middle aged markers" at garage sales. Usually, the kids go off to college, leave the suff in a box in the parents garages and it ends up under a table at a garage sale. You will be suprised though how much stuff gets thrwon away :wow: You have seen what I have seen, you would cry. Boxes of parted Timmys and worn out parts just junked, boxes of Cocker bodies and Spyders junked because no one even shot a cocker or wanted to shoot a Spyder. I didn't touch the stuff because I did not have the time or patience to go through and try to sell everything but I have seen so many shops do this > I would never do such thing, it was not my shop. But, you would be suprised of what gets thrown away. There are a few people who have original markers though that are still in the boxes and they are around here somewhere. :ninja:

zondo
03-04-2008, 03:42 PM
I still have my original Pro/AM... 14" AA and a powerfeed for it. I haven't seen a PF on any of the other Pro series markers before or since. Definitely relieves some of the strain from the 5 lbs of forearm grip.

custar
03-04-2008, 04:06 PM
I still use two Vectors, both with serial numbers in the double digits. I just sold my third, and all three are in fine, working condition. One will see action at our local outing in about 10 days. I have a couple of Rainmakers, and one is still in its original box. I have an early Typhoon for sale, and it's also in good working condition. I have a couple of old Impulses, but they are hardly worth spending much time and effort into compared to the other markers I could spend the same time making work like new again.

custar

kurtisqpublic
03-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Old school cocker and RT mag here. I have no intention of selling them! The cocker was my gun back in the tournament days and has much sentimental value. The RT was a recent purchase because I've always wanted one and never got around to buying it when they were popular. I think a lot of players save them for their memories. :cool:

drg
03-04-2008, 05:44 PM
The truth is newer guns are by and large just better, and they are so cheap there is no excuse to not upgrade.

going_home
03-04-2008, 05:52 PM
They are all being hoarded by MCB members heheh .

:wow:

thegrayghost
03-04-2008, 06:47 PM
i have most of my original markers still...and a fire/play with each periodically...each had a memory in its day to me...i just keep them around...

be tiger shark pump...play on pump days periodically
piranha sts...down at this time
tippmann 68 carbine...hard/old trigger pull, but so am i old, lolo
shocker turbo...works just fine
automag classic...works just fine
aka viking...works just fine

the marker i miss the most in trading is the ule/mag/rt/umf marker, came from Mustangii, and went to Punkncat for the Aka....

not many markers in the arsenal, but each meant something back in the day...also each had its time in the paintball arena in shaping this great sport...just my 2 cents worth...

thegrayghost

mclaggan123
03-04-2008, 06:51 PM
the best marker i have is old, its an aurora eclipse cocker that doesnt even have a serial number. i got it about 5 years ago and i dont know the age but it wont fit any of the post 2k parts. does anyone know anything about them? i also have a minimag that i got back in 1999 that still looks and shoots like new. it doesnt get much use thanks to my xvalved mag but its a classic and ill keep it as long as i still breath.

halB
03-04-2008, 06:53 PM
I don't understand the question. I still have all of my old markers. I never sold a one.

custar
03-04-2008, 07:52 PM
The truth is newer guns are by and large just better, and they are so cheap there is no excuse to not upgrade.

I beg to differ on several points. First, I just plain enjoy playing with some of my older markers more. There is no new mech marker that is better than Automags. If I want to go with a cocker, I use a 1k Blazer or better yet, a Vector. I have yet to see any marker more consistent in placing paint than my Vectors. Second, my older markers by and large require less maintenance. The only markers I own that require grease are ones I want to be rid of. The need for grease internally is an indication of sloppy production tolerances, and it seems more and more newer markers require grease. Third, with the advent of lowered shooting limits (and my own limitations on fanning a trigger), there is much less of a reason to go with newer markers. Even my blind Excalibur with a stock Nelson board can go 13 bps, close enough to the PSP limit that it's good to go. Fourth, once you figure in the cost of "necessary" upgrades, newer markers aren't all that cheap. Sure, you can pick up a new electro for $200.00 or less, but once you buy a decent barrel, clamping feedneck, better regulator, etc., you have dumped quite a bit into one.

I'm not saying newer markers are bad, but there are drawbacks to them just like almost all things in life.

custar

JAMRENS
03-04-2008, 08:24 PM
i have 3 timys and a few impys and a sft shocker and 3 eblade cockers but i can bet you that when i am playing chances are i wil have my old asn gx3 in my hands it was my first marker. the problem with markers today are that they are set up fast from the box, when i started playing you kept the marker till you had to rebuild it a few times so it like a extension of your body, we didnt swap markers every week.

wHiT

koleah
03-04-2008, 09:17 PM
What has happened to all the old markers?

A-Tach has those too, he just likes to show off the X-mags more.

doc_Zox
03-04-2008, 10:50 PM
http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox//agro.jpg

drg
03-04-2008, 11:36 PM
I beg to differ on several points. First, I just plain enjoy playing with some of my older markers more. There is no new mech marker that is better than Automags. If I want to go with a cocker, I use a 1k Blazer or better yet, a Vector. I have yet to see any marker more consistent in placing paint than my Vectors. Second, my older markers by and large require less maintenance. The only markers I own that require grease are ones I want to be rid of. The need for grease internally is an indication of sloppy production tolerances, and it seems more and more newer markers require grease. Third, with the advent of lowered shooting limits (and my own limitations on fanning a trigger), there is much less of a reason to go with newer markers. Even my blind Excalibur with a stock Nelson board can go 13 bps, close enough to the PSP limit that it's good to go. Fourth, once you figure in the cost of "necessary" upgrades, newer markers aren't all that cheap. Sure, you can pick up a new electro for $200.00 or less, but once you buy a decent barrel, clamping feedneck, better regulator, etc., you have dumped quite a bit into one.

I'm not saying newer markers are bad, but there are drawbacks to them just like almost all things in life.

custar

I don't disagree with some of those statements, and obviously subjective judgments like enjoying playing with older markers is indisputable.

Hoewver when you have to restrict your comparison to "mech markers" you know full well what I mean.

ultralight
03-04-2008, 11:56 PM
heck heah doc!

i just picked up my second splatty and i am absolutely thrilled to have a pair.

i haven't gotten rid of any of my old markers either, i've still got the old VM-68 magnum kicking around the gear bag.

from what i've seen, many of those cool older markers are lying in "trade in" boxes behind the counters of older pro shops.

i recently stumbled upon two PTP FX Microcockers and a NIB AGD Z-frame.

edweird
03-05-2008, 12:14 AM
I've been toying around with an old VM-65 ive had laying around for a number of years...

been thinking of putting a 13ci tank under a lengthened and "quieted" brass barrel, adding a Qloader directly to the powerfeed, and putting a stock on it for some woodsball fun.

MoeMag
03-05-2008, 12:50 AM
I know where they are.

the back room of paintball shops. That bottom corner of the utility room, under the pvc pipe fittings. in the box with old lawnmower parts. still wrapped in t shirt you wore the last time you played. fallen to a state of utter disrepair. Guns that were never picked up for repair, that sat on the wall for so long, they went on the shelf... then into the back room... until nothing but the body was left. bodies with nothing but the goo of grease and duct tape. guns still with 5 balls stuck in the barrels. pump arms that were frozen stiff. piles of co2 tanks painted camo that were attached using a wrench. the 2 ft long feed tubes... cracked. all sitting in 2500 round paint suitcases with the stickers peeling off.

but most of them... in the attic at someones parents house, not to be seen for another 30 years.

custar
03-05-2008, 01:19 AM
I don't disagree with some of those statements, and obviously subjective judgments like enjoying playing with older markers is indisputable.

Hoewver when you have to restrict your comparison to "mech markers" you know full well what I mean.

I know what you meant; that's why I included the remarks about my Excalibur and the need for grease in most current markers to make up for sloppy production tolerances. We do agree that a lot of preference is based on subjective feelings, both as to the "feel" as well as the performance

custar

finnmanpa
03-05-2008, 10:27 AM
I still have my original Pro/AM... 14" AA and a powerfeed for it. I haven't seen a PF on any of the other Pro series markers before or since. Definitely relieves some of the strain from the 5 lbs of forearm grip.

Wow, my Mini-Lite has a Pro-Team powerfeed. And I thought I was the only one!