PDA

View Full Version : Changing a tank reg?

FallibleFlyer
03-06-2008, 10:15 PM
If I bought a new regulator for my tank, is this something I could swap out myself? If so How?

Im planning on buying a raptor regulator. I have a scuba shop a few miles away, but Id rather save the cost and do it myself if I can safely. My tank is a PMI Pure Energy 68/45

csallen039
03-07-2008, 03:18 AM
I just bought two strap wrenches from the local hardware store and i was able to get the regulator unscrewed from the tank. It took a little while, but came right off and i popped the new one in.

Hook
03-07-2008, 07:38 AM
I just bought two strap wrenches from the local hardware store and i was able to get the regulator unscrewed from the tank. It took a little while, but came right off and i popped the new one in.

Good to know. Does the reg's threads need some kind of sealant like loctite or teflon tape?

phatty123
03-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Use some blue loktite on the 1st few threads. Thats what I do.

-barry

Dawg047
03-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Yes, get some Loctite. Blue or Red, Blue is easier to get off and apply it to the threads at the end of the regulator, which would be the first ones that screw in. What you want to do is screw in the regulator into the tank causing the Loctite to then spread over the rest of the threads giving it a good seal. And like stated above, use a strap wrench so youu don't mar up your regulator.

FallibleFlyer
03-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Won't the loctite seize up before you can get all the thread in?

Looper
03-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Unless you want to never get your reg off again I would not use Red. I'm not a big fan of any loctite on HPA Regs but that is my preference. A good torq with a strap wrench and the proper reg tool should be all you need. Once the tank is pressurized with 2000+ PSI you are not getting that reg off.

Background:
I bought a used 68/4500 out of hydro tank with a crossfire reg and sent it in to have it tested. Reg snapped off clean with the top of the bottle because somebody had used red loctite. I now have a really expensive Easter Egg to give to the kids this year.

:cheers:

Looper
03-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Oh and on another note

If you have to ask you probably shouldn't be doing this. I'm not trying to be a jerk it's just that at 3000-4500 psi your messing with a bomb and if you don't know what you are doing things could go bad.

Best thing to do is find a Scuba Dive Shop, Air Smith or Paint Ball shop and have them work on it... of course the Paint Ball Shop might be kinda rude to you if you did not get the reg there but hey... they will get over it.

FallibleFlyer
03-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Ive read a lot of write ups and threads about it on pbnation and some here. I have a dive shop not too far from me. From the sound of it I could easily do it, Im just slightly nervous.

03-07-2008, 11:02 PM
The biggest thing is to make sure the tank is bone dry, dont trust the gauge, drain it completely with an unattached ASA or a remote

angrysasquatch
03-07-2008, 11:14 PM
And then push down on the pin valve with your finger (or a small coin, etc). I like being super-extra-sure :tard:

nevtangle
03-08-2008, 03:38 PM
It amazes me that people can't search and just ask the same questions, but this thread was about 1/2 way down the tech section. Take a look at it.

http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=227090

MANN
03-08-2008, 03:51 PM
DO NOT USE LOCKTITE.

/end thread

Shane-O-Mac
03-08-2008, 09:21 PM
DO NOT USE LOCKTITE.

/end thread

/Reopen thread

LOL, my how the uniformed are quick to use caps and try and end a discussion. :rolleyes:

You can use RED loc-tite on a tank reg, IF you do it properly. I have done it for years, AA did it for 15 years at least.

Ok heres how to properly do it. Make sure the threads on the tank are clean after removing your old reg, use a dental pick to clean out the threads. put 1 drop of oil on the o-ring above the threads that go into the tank, and smear it around the o-ring. Then put 2-3 drops of red loc-tite on the LAST 3 threads, which will be the first that go into the tank when you install it. Now let the loc-tite wick around the threads for 2 minutes or so. Then very lightly dab up any excess loc-tite with a q-tip. You want the loc-tite in the valleys of the threads. Now thread the reg into the tank and torque the reg down as hard as you can by hand. Let it dry for 12 hours or so (not necessary, but it wouldn't hurt). Then you set. IF you have to remove the reg, this method will not make it hard, and will not snap the reg off into the tank. The Raptors are made of Stainless Steel, they will not easily snap off in the tank. Also you can do the same thing with your fittings for a cleaner looking fitting, and you wont get teflon tape into your reg. If you us eTeflon properly it doesnt happen much, but it does happen and I have seen it on alot of regs.

I will say this though. do not do this job if you are unsure of how to do it, or afraid of it not working properly. Pay someone a few bucks that you can trust to do it. but it isnt really that hard if you are carefull and pay attention to what your doing.

FallibleFlyer
03-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Well its getting about time to hydro my tank anyhow. So I might as well kill two birds with one stone. Its not supposed to be due untill 2010, but SC Village doesn't always honor 5 year hydros last I heard.

nevtangle
03-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Check here. http://www.zdspb.com/tech/misc/hydrotest.html