PDA

View Full Version : Best Complete Setup for 5 Bills. What is it??

DevilMan
03-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Alright guys... one of the guys here at work is looking to pick up another gun to play with. I'm not big on "'lectros" so I'm resorting to asking you.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!! Try and stay on topic and if you don't have anything to say GOOD or BAD about a certain gun that may or may not get mentioned then please don't clutter the thread. I also would like this to become a Good/Bad/Ugly type thread for the different gats on the market these days and what upgrades and what problems and what they lack in.

Don't worry about critique'in the goggles, pod packs and such as that... We're planning on 50-75 for those parts but that can change. But mainly looking at Hopper & Gun options.

I've sent him over to PBN and PBReview to check out some things and he's liking these currently.

SLG
DM's
PM's
Ego/Etek's

Prefers Red/Black/Grey solids or combos....

I know there is the Threshhold, Fusion and alot of others I'm missing out there... that's where you guys come in. Keep in mind that it's a preference of looks as well as anything. He said he likes to change the modes and to tinker with the guns. He knows that most places will only allow semi auto and what the BPS limit is, but he wants "to be cool" amongst his family and what they have.... Yeah a tad bit AGG if ya ask me.

The Mini is semi ruled out because of the ASA and Front grip not being able to get changed out. That's what it's not on the list.

He don't have to have Brand NEW... But does want one in NEW GREAT condition. Upgraded is a plus. Sooooooooo tell me o wise ones.... What's his best option in terms of efficient, reliable, tweakable, etc....

Pics would be helpful!!! AND if anyone has something along this line that they'd like to sell PM me with info and we'll go from there...

Thanx folks!!!

DM

KevinA
03-07-2008, 11:29 AM
I personally have never owned one, but a friend of mine has an Ego 7, and I must say I am was really impressed with how incredibly light it was, the rate of fire was insane, and it was as quiet as... I don't know If I'd liken it to a cocker... He uses a V35 w/ his, and has no issues. I also owned a Mini E- Orracle, which I now regret selling everyday...

B-Pow
03-07-2008, 12:03 PM
if he likes the planet eclipse line, take a look at intimidators, gen3 gen4 and gen5. They function (basically) the same as an ego with slightly lower max rof (depending on the generation, partially due to the lack of qev's) but still top out at mid 20's which is more than anyone really needs. And depending on the generation less or simillar recoil to the egos.

Since they are not agg popular they can be had cheap on BSTs and even new from bob long. If you call up his shop (BLAST, you can get the number from their site www.boblongdirect.com) and ask if they have any gen3 or gen4s in stock and what he's selling them for you might catch a good deal on a brand new gun (that is not this years "hotness" but still a solid preformer). That and there is always some kind of happiness for me to have a gun that no one else on the field has that day (so not just another ion, ego, matrix, shocker, yadda yadda).

Worth following up on, if your friend perfers the stacked tube, poppit valve, air driven ram design.

AzrealDarkmoonZ
03-07-2008, 12:50 PM
I would go with the Etek, with the Etek 2 out there price is in the 300 dollar range. Lots of bang for the buck. Also Alias Gen Timmies are really good buys, though I prefer the more solid feeling Etek frame over the timmy clamshell.

Timmies and Eteks also don't require much in the way of maintenance, less than the spool valve type markers.

chairman_mao
03-07-2008, 01:40 PM
For a wee bit more he could get a Viking if he looks around. One of the best (if not the best) electro on the used market (or any market). Most of the ones kicking around are going to have some ups and they tend to be more muted colors (in my expereience).

DevilMan
03-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Thank you folks for the info.... it's looking promising. I'm kind of partial to the single tubed look of the guns, but not opposed to the Ego/Etek look hardcore....

Will run them by him to find what he likes.

DM

B-Pow
03-07-2008, 02:50 PM
If your friend is really liking the single tube style here's some more information to pass on to him.

One thing to keep in mind is that most matrixes are basically the same gun regradless of year. Dye/Proto only seems to make a few minor "preformance"/ease of use/ergonomics/efficiency/size/weight changes since say the DM4. I'm not saying the DM4 is the same gun as the DM8 but they are VERY simmilar in design, function, and most importantly max capabilities. Also DMs and PM depreciate faster then a Yugo, so you can find a DM4, DM5, DM6, PM5, PM6, PM7 for well under your price range...and the preformance will be more than needed for any style of play, well maybe not efficency wise but that's a spooler problem for ya.

And you can also find used shockers going for low prices because the used market is flooded with them, that's what happens when a company dosn't even change the body between '03-'06. Personally I wouldn't own a shocker, but that's a personal prefrence. Just keep in mind that an '03 shocker is basically the same thing as an '06 shocker...the 06 has a few more refinements to the drive train (for horrible efficiency issues) and regulator (origional non shoebox shockers lacked a regulator needing an adj tank to do the work and they also didn't have eyes for a touch...hence the "shocker vision" that came out shortly after the '03 shocker; you'll be hard pressed to find one on the used market now that dosn't have the reg or the eyes though because all of those are <i>probably</i> dammaged behond repair long ago), but even the milling didn't change.

Also FEP Quests are a little harder to find, because they are not as "mainstream" as matrixes or shockers, but can be had for cheap and many users describe them as "well built shockers", I have also heard many things about them having better efficency numbers than shockers.

Long story short if he's set on a single tube, the used market is going to be the better bet, where as several of the stacked tube poppit valve markers are sitting at that price point new. At least that's what I tend to have seen, I haven't seen everything though so I might be wrong.

Chaos_Theory!
03-07-2008, 04:36 PM
You can get a used 07 Cyborg for around $500, easily the best gun youll get for the price.