PDA

View Full Version : Ion Eyes in a mag?

koleah
03-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Has anyone thought about using the Ion eye set/chip/board/C-shaped thing in a Mag as its eyes? I'm thinking of trying it, but I've got no experience with an Ion whatsoever, and so I've got no idea as to the dimensions of the chip, or how far up into the breech it sits.

I was thinking a notch could be milled in the rail and the chip just sit in there and the body drop down on top of it, and the drilled eye holes in the body would just line up with the emitter and receiver of the chip, so that the beam could pass through the breech. Then just build some eye covers to cover up the sides of the chip that stick out over the rail.

Comments? Suggestions? Someone has to have/had an Ion and pulled out their eye chip and looked at it at least once.

K

03-08-2008, 12:14 AM
pretty sure the diameter on a Mag is bigger than the gap between the eye board of an ion
and besides using ion parts on a Mag is just wrong

druid
03-10-2008, 02:18 AM
You might do better with the Stage 5 styled "tethered" eyes instead of the daughterboard.

Hilltop Customs
03-10-2008, 05:01 AM
You would have to mill a slot in the bottom of the body to fit the eyes and board....the exact same way the ions are milled. And you would still need some sort of eye covers, because sunlight can effect they eyes(and to just keep them safe). Other than that I dont really see any problems with it. You just end up cutting more than whats really needed from the body.

As for ion parts in a mag....its just a phototransistor and an LED :rolleyes:

athomas
03-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Just drill a couple of holes in the side of the mag body and insert some standard break beam eyes. The holes would be so close the rail that it would be very easy to attach a flat cover to protect them. Thats the easiest way to get eyes on a mag.

koleah
03-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Well, I'd like to be able to pull the body apart from the rail without having to undo the eye covers and remove the eyes first, and then separate the eyes from the rail without having to carefully slide the eyes through a hole in the rail. Which is why I am looking at the Ion eye board since they're already mounted together where they need to be.

Hilltop Customs
03-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Well, I'd like to be able to pull the body apart from the rail without having to undo the eye covers and remove the eyes first, and then separate the eyes from the rail without having to carefully slide the eyes through a hole in the rail. Which is why I am looking at the Ion eye board since they're already mounted together where they need to be.

that is the exact same requirements I wanted for my eyes....heres how I planned on making mine. Heres a little drawing I did of how I'm going to make them:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/rhizzill/eyes.jpg

I'm not 100% sure it will work(depends on the range of the eyes) But it will hold the eyes outside the body, so the body easily can come off. The outside of the eyes and wires could be covered with another layer of alum or just something as simple as a sticker. The wires would be fed back throgh the holder between the body and rail(rail would still need a notch taken out)

just an idea for ya