PDA

View Full Version : thinking about getting a Tac-One

sunjess
03-10-2008, 07:58 PM
is this a good choice? I used to be in the game several years ago when it was mags and cockers, but to be honest is has been a while.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks!

MeŠiCX
03-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Depends, what is your playing style? Scenario/woodsball or tourny?

sunjess
03-10-2008, 08:05 PM
im all about woods and scenario...im not a fan of tournament style paintball at all.

Also as far as getting a left/right tac-one is the preference or if you are righty/lefty?? Sorry for the noob question. Its been a while

DanMan
03-10-2008, 09:59 PM
im all about woods and scenario...im not a fan of tournament style paintball at all.

Also as far as getting a left/right tac-one is the preference or if you are righty/lefty?? Sorry for the noob question. Its been a while
this has to do with the feed tube coming out the side for a warp or q-loader. If you are right handed then you want warp left so the warp is to the inside. If you have or intend to get one of these things then you will need to worry about this. if you are using a normal hopper then you want center feed.

sunjess
03-11-2008, 02:52 PM
I guess back to my original question, being is this a quality marker or should I look elsewhere? I am also looking to have the tank detached from the marker. For the money can I do better?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

B-Pow
03-11-2008, 03:19 PM
I guess back to my original question, being is this a quality marker or should I look elsewhere? I am also looking to have the tank detached from the marker. For the money can I do better?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

You do realize you are on a automag forum full of rabid loyalists. They are all going to tell you that the mag is god's (read: Tom Kaye's) gift to paintball, or at least something similar. If you have the money and you want a good, dependable, built-like-a-tank marker and you are not intrested in the screaming fast (read: excessive) speeds of todays electro market (even the low end electro market has excessively fast balls per second speeds) the mag is an excellent choice. There are many players (most of them on this forum) that have been using the same mags for 10+ years and are very happy with their results.

When it's all been said and done, the mag is a quality product. I personally don't own one, but I've barrowed several and they are all very nice. My suggestion is compile a list of all the markers you like, and see if anyone at a local field will let you try it out on the crono range or for a game or two. You may find you really like the way a mag handles/feels, or you may find a diffrent gun you like better for whatever reason.

InfinitR
03-11-2008, 08:43 PM
The Mag is God's gift to paintball.

Dawg047
03-11-2008, 10:41 PM
You do realize you are on a automag forum full of rabid loyalists. They are all going to tell you that the mag is god's (read: Tom Kaye's) gift to paintball, or at least something similar. If you have the money and you want a good, dependable, built-like-a-tank marker and you are not intrested in the screaming fast (read: excessive) speeds of todays electro market (even the low end electro market has excessively fast balls per second speeds) the mag is an excellent choice. There are many players (most of them on this forum) that have been using the same mags for 10+ years and are very happy with their results.

When it's all been said and done, the mag is a quality product. I personally don't own one, but I've barrowed several and they are all very nice. My suggestion is compile a list of all the markers you like, and see if anyone at a local field will let you try it out on the crono range or for a game or two. You may find you really like the way a mag handles/feels, or you may find a diffrent gun you like better for whatever reason.

You do realize that the X valve in a Tach-One is the fastest recharging valve made and with the correct input pressure, can reach 30+bps right? Yes, it is very reliable but also very fast. Can't go wrong with the Tach-One. Only problem you could have is the Level 10 kit and it just requires some tuning. Alaso, Tom Kaye is a God and the Automag is a gift. He has revolutionized the sport and not just with the Automag, do a search :cheers:

Steelrat
03-11-2008, 10:44 PM
I've gone to one scenario, and the mags were a terrible choice due to the available air supply. You really need good 4500 psi fills available for a mag, and even then, you need a bigger tank. I love mags, but I just don't understand their popularity with the scenario crowd.

lostprophet
03-12-2008, 04:26 AM
Reliability. Period. I have had an RT\Pro for 9 years and I have never had a problem. I also have a classic that I tell my wife is a backup (not that I need one), but it is really to loan out to people that are using rentals so that I can show people what a quality product it is. Even better than that many of them have bought one. Thats in germany where it is a pain to get them also. ;)

going_home
03-12-2008, 04:42 AM
I've gone to one scenario, and the mags were a terrible choice due to the available air supply. You really need good 4500 psi fills available for a mag, and even then, you need a bigger tank. I love mags, but I just don't understand their popularity with the scenario crowd.

Not true.
I play out of my scuba tank all the time and I dont run out of air.
What are you trying to do, shoot a case a game or something ?
I can get a hopper and 3 to 4 140 round pods on a 3000 fill.

I know a guy thats got an RT Pro with Xvalve and a DM6 and he says the
mag is better on air than the Dye marker.

;)

Hook
03-12-2008, 07:55 AM
A standard 68/3000 tank lasts me all day, but then again, I'm not a "spray and pray" type of player.

If you want to get a Tac-One for scenario play and run a coiled remote, I suggest you get the Special Ops T2W stock. It's light, solid and looks killer on the Tac:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g90/pvcHook/CADPAT/IMG_6156.jpg

jade_monkey07
03-12-2008, 08:06 AM
Not true.
I play out of my scuba tank all the time and I dont run out of air.
What are you trying to do, shoot a case a game or something ?
I can get a hopper and 3 to 4 140 round pods on a 3000 fill.

I know a guy thats got an RT Pro with Xvalve and a DM6 and he says the
mag is better on air than the Dye marker.

;)

i agree with going home on this one, i have a 68/3000 and while at dday i could shoot my hopper 240, plus all 4, 140 round pods off a tank and still have some left over, this crap about mags not being efficient enough is BS!!! i dont know about you but if im shooting more then i can carry (800 rounds) in a game then im shooting WAY to much. Iv been to alot of really big scenarios only once found a situation where i didnt have enough paint or air on hand. i ran out of air, and that was because we were away from a fill station for 6 hours on a rescue mission across the entire playing field. how often do you trek across 400 + acres without being shot out?
and if thats the case then carry 1100 rounds and get a 68/4500

Steelrat
03-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Sorry guys, but I disagree. Mags are fairly inefficient. Comparing them to a DM6 isn't doing them any favors, as the DMs aren't known for their efficiency either. The scenario I was at wasn't putting out any more than 2200 psi, and it just wasn't cutting it for the mag users. And it has nothing to do with being a "spray and pray" player, that's just an easy way to excuse a shortcoming of the mag design.

As for reliability, mags aren't lemons, but they certainly aren't the most reliable markers I've seen.

Don't get me wrong, I like mags, and I respect their engineering. But having owned quite a few myself (3-4 mech mags, 3-4 emags, 2-3 xmags), and playing with quite a few mag users, I just haven't seen any benefit to using one over a more efficient marker, other than size, or if you prefer they way they shoot.

But, as always, YMMV.

B-Pow
03-12-2008, 11:05 AM
You do realize that the X valve in a Tach-One is the fastest recharging valve made and with the correct input pressure, can reach 30+bps right? Yes, it is very reliable but also very fast. Can't go wrong with the Tach-One. Only problem you could have is the Level 10 kit and it just requires some tuning. Alaso, Tom Kaye is a God and the Automag is a gift. He has revolutionized the sport and not just with the Automag, do a search :cheers:

I am well aware of the ability to hit 34 cps (I've seen the vid...I'm pretty sure we all have). However considering the "rare-ity" of adjustable tanks that will allow an input pressure above 900 psi, fields that frown apon bounce (I got a "talking to" when I found the sweet spot on an emag in M using a PE preset hp tank), and the impractical-ness of hooking a rt enabled valve directly to a scuba tank; mech mags will not be winning any real speed records if set up in a pratical manner that abides by most field regulations. Am I saying it's slow...oh heck no...I'm just saying that making it a screaming death bps machine is impratical and will get you in some troubble with any feild that is worth their insurance.

MeŠiCX
03-12-2008, 11:18 AM
I get about 1500-1600 shots on my emag with a 92/4500. Mags are not the most effiecent markers. I get the same efficiency with an A-5 and X-7. Would I like more shots per tank? Absolutely! I don't own mags to get 2000 shots on a 68/4500 fill. It doesn't bother me.

Back to the topic.... I wouldn't hesitate to start with a Tac One for scenario/woodsball!

Steelrat
03-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Ever consider maybe starting with a cheaper marker to see if you enjoy it, maybe a tippman 98 or a spyder? And, after you figure out if you are going to continue playing, buying a tac one or other marker?

Or, as an alternative, buy a nice used mag off the BST. I still think there's better markers out there, but if you have your heart set on a mag, you can save yourself a few bucks that way.