PDA

View Full Version : I cant get my tank filled

Jim2752
03-13-2008, 02:39 PM
I haven't used my automag in about a year but I want to get back into paintball. Last year when I went to get my tank filled to shoot around in my back yard they said they wouldn't fill anymore. One guy was too scared to fill it. They said they never seen a tank that looked like mine before. They told me they wouldn't fill it up again till I got it hydro tested to find out if it was safe. They also said I had to get my gauges replaced because the plastic was cracked and they were reading a little off . How much does it cost to get my tank hydro tested and where can I get new gauges? Here is a pic of my tank that they have never seen before.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh24/souperpimpman64/DSC01329.jpg?t=1205438042

Lithium
03-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Most shops will send it off for you and they also carry the gauges. Just make sure to get one that goes up to at least 4500 PSI.

Hydro cost is like 40-50 bucks depending and its usually gone for 3 weeks or so.

Just for kicks, take the tank cover off and take a few pics of the tank and gauge for us to see :)

The tank does look old as hell though!

Karta-mag
03-13-2008, 03:09 PM
I just had 2 tanks hydro tested at Crossfire it was $48 total. That included removing the regs testing the tanks, reinstalling the regs and shipping them back. It took 2 weeks from the day they got them to the day I got them back.

Jim2752
03-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Yeah the tank and gun are old.
The shop I was at is pretty small and didn't do hydro test but they said a place a few miles away does it for like $20 or something like that. They also said they didn't install gauges but I wanted to get the airgun designs gauges if they are any good. I'll probably get my impulse tank tested too if its only $20.

Here are the pics!
The tank is 100% empty but the gauge reads 400psi.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh24/souperpimpman64/DSC01333.jpg?t=1205440953

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh24/souperpimpman64/DSC01332.jpg?t=1205442140

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh24/souperpimpman64/DSC01330.jpg?t=1205442162

Lithium
03-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Maybe think about a new tank. You can find them on PBNation for $100-150. You may need to pick up an ASA (the thing you screw the tank into), but then you wouldn't have to worry about getting that one up to date. Just a thought.

Good luck!

robnix
03-13-2008, 04:22 PM
I haven't used my automag in about a year but I want to get back into paintball. Last year when I went to get my tank filled to shoot around in my back yard they said they wouldn't fill anymore. One guy was too scared to fill it. They said they never seen a tank that looked like mine before. They told me they wouldn't fill it up again till I got it hydro tested to find out if it was safe. They also said I had to get my gauges replaced because the plastic was cracked and they were reading a little off . How much does it cost to get my tank hydro tested and where can I get new gauges? Here is a pic of my tank that they have never seen before.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh24/souperpimpman64/DSC01329.jpg?t=1205438042

http://www.hydrotester.com

A little over $30.00 including return shipping. They turn tanks around in 24 hours, so your biggest wait is shipping time.

Lithium
03-13-2008, 04:29 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's a cool site. Thanks for that.

Jim2752
03-13-2008, 04:39 PM
Do tanks really just go bad? Can someone tell me how old the tank is? I looked at the website above but I didn't get it.

robnix
03-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Do tanks really just go bad? Can someone tell me how old the tank is? I looked at the website above but I didn't get it.

http://ww4.paintball.com/content.php?aid=2747

Sumthinwicked
03-13-2008, 05:10 PM
most dive shops can hydro or send out for hydro fyi

Lithium
03-13-2008, 05:16 PM
It was made in '02 so...

E-10915 - "e" code

Last tested before May 11, 2001. 3 year. **
Newer than or last tested after May 11, 2001. 5 year test cycle

So it needed to be tested in '07, so it's a year out

DevilMan
03-13-2008, 05:38 PM
If it was manu'd in 02... its not that old!!! sheesh!!!

And on HydroTester you can find the code for your bottle and the lifespan of it. Should be 15 years. I can't see your pics so I can't tell you more.

But HydroTester should be able to do it and get it back to you within a week or so. For under 30 bones. If the gauges are cracked just buy a couple of new ones for 5 bucks and be done with it....

Simple really...

DM

shadowmaker
03-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Theres a fire extinguisher place here that refills fire extinguisher commerically, I thought I paid alot to have my hydro tested, Cost me $19.65 and that included tax and a $6 refill. It was less than $12 to test it. :headbang:

Jim2752
03-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Thanks for all the great info. But I still have two questions. I have a flatline o-ring kit. The regulator doesn't leak but should I replace the o-rings anyway? Can someone tell me when my impulse tank needs to be tested? Hopefully I fixed the leak in that gun and might use it a little. Sorry for the crappy pics. I just took them with my phone.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh24/souperpimpman64/joe2.jpg?t=1205467600

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh24/souperpimpman64/joe.jpg?t=1205467617

DevilMan
03-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Jim... We can't tell on yours because it's birthdate isn't showing. On the top tank it's the 2^02 with the ^ being that arrow with the A in it. That's means it was made Feb of 2002.

That's what you need to tell when it was made. And if you go to HydroTester.com you will find a page on there that has the numbers listed and when it's due for hydro.

I'm guessing that since it was made 2/02 and it's a 3 year tank that it came up in 05 but since it's after alot of the 01 year changes you may be good up to 5 years which would mean it came up due for hydro Feb of 2007... Meaning that if it's not been hydro'd since it was made then it's DUE HYDRO... So go to HydroTester print out the form fill it out, follow instructions and get back a fresh hydro'd safe tank.

DM

seekandestroy78
03-14-2008, 08:15 AM
how about you sell me your flatline and buy yourself a tank thats in hydro around here or the nation. let me know if your interested.

Foxworthy
03-14-2008, 08:24 AM
The ACI Bulldog tank needs to be rehydro but the tank still has 9 years left on its life. So it's better to not sell that as it would cost more than 30 bucks to get a new tank.

I can't see the date on the other tank. So its hard to say if its in hyrdo or when it needs to be hydroed.

Spider-TW
03-14-2008, 08:44 AM
Cracked and inaccurate gauges are not a safety issue technically. It may be the field's "prerogative" to only fill bottles with nice gauges, but the gauges are there for your use only. They are not 'safety gauges' nor fill gauges. The fill station controls the incoming pressure and the burst disk protects the tank.

The base of the gauges has a small orifice in it. So if you smash the face and then smash the metal tube inside of the metal case and the tube breaks, the air will come screaming out of a pin hole that is not big enough to jet the bottle around, but will poke you in the arm badly.

That said, it's really hard to deal with an adjustable reg without good gauges. :D

Jim2752
03-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Cracked and inaccurate gauges are not a safety issue technically. It may be the field's "prerogative" to only fill bottles with nice gauges, but the gauges are there for your use only. They are not 'safety gauges' nor fill gauges. The fill station controls the incoming pressure and the burst disk protects the tank.

The base of the gauges has a small orifice in it. So if you smash the face and then smash the metal tube inside of the metal case and the tube breaks, the air will come screaming out of a pin hole that is not big enough to jet the bottle around, but will poke you in the arm badly.

That said, it's really hard to deal with an adjustable reg without good gauges. :D

The guy at the shop said the gauges would blowup and kill me. I told him he was crazy. If I install the gauges myself is there anyway I can mess up?

Jim2752
03-14-2008, 01:36 PM
How come my impulse tank doesn't say when it was made?

Lithium
03-14-2008, 01:53 PM
It was made 11/00. There is just some extra stuff in between the dates. It's a 3 year tank until you get it hydro-ed and then its a 5 year tank.

:cheers:

Jim2752
03-15-2008, 12:12 PM
So if I install the gauges myself is there anyway I can mess up? And what kind of gauges should I get?

Lithium
03-17-2008, 08:30 AM
So if I install the gauges myself is there anyway I can mess up? And what kind of gauges should I get?

Make sure NOT to use ANY I repeat ANY oil. Throw some teflon tape on threads and screw those bad boys in.

As far as what kind of gauges, just got with ones you like. Make sure they are in thousands not hundreds, but other than that any will work.

Again, make sure you don't use any oil or you run the risk of your tank exploding. I've heard some CRAZY stories.

Jim2752
03-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Does anyone know if I should replace the flatline o-rings?

Spider-TW
03-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Does anyone know if I should replace the flatline o-rings?
You can replace the orings at any time, as long as the reg will shut off. Check the warpig article on flatlines. The on/off just depresses the pin valve in the bottom, so you can maintain the rest of the reg at any time. Your biggest worry is that the reg seat gets hard and dirty and leaks by, over pressuring the output.

My flatline gauges leaked with teflon tape when I put them back on. They had been installed with tape, but I couldn't get them to seal, so I used high pressure teflon pipe paste/stuff, which worked. The worst you can do crack the faces again or break them off. Try to put the wrench near the base and stay away from the top near the lens. Gauges look pretty nasty before they are beat up enough to pop. Think major body cracks and/or missing faces.

Even though the gauges had teflon tape, they also had some red locktite, which probably contributed to the previous seal or the later leak (or both). You would have to be a regular short bus rider to accidentally unscrew a gauge. :tard: