PDA

View Full Version : marker for my girlfriend

sunjess
03-15-2008, 06:19 PM
so I need to get a marker for my girlfriend now. I dont want to spend a tone of cash, but I would like to be able to use it in a pinch if she is not with me. meaning I want something very reliable. Would you guys go with a Tipmann A5 or X7. or go with a minimag with a lvl 10 upgrade? The one that is on AGD site for $259 + 100 bucks for the level 10

I know this is a mag forum and all but I am hoping I can get a unbiased opinion.

as always...thanks for listening to me ramble.

Doug

Steelrat
03-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Tippman 98 custom ACT, $139 at actionvillage.

halB
03-15-2008, 06:27 PM
It would be very helpful if you would post what marker you have now. Usually, when I'm in your situation, I buy a brand new gun for me, and my old one becomes their "new" gun.

But, without knowing which one is which, I would lean towards the tippmann. So many people have started paintball with it I don't see how it can be a bad choice. I also always hesitate handing noobs a marker that can be short stroked. It's not worth the trouble explaining what it is or how to stop it. Even the simple "you must pull the trigger and release it all the way" just gets me looks of confusion.

michbich
03-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Although this is a mag forum, most of us own or have owned multiple markers. My suggestion would be to try them both first. Simple as that. Most players will be happy to let you try there marker.

Geronimo7
03-15-2008, 06:30 PM
I'll have to agree with the 2 above. Tippman's are great guns to start with and relatively cheap.

sunjess
03-15-2008, 06:31 PM
as for what I am using now, I just ordered myself a tac-one. I have been out of the game a while and used to have several cockers which I dont have any more.

Steelrat
03-15-2008, 06:39 PM
If you want an electro, you can get a good deal on some of those:

Heres an unused fusion for $250 (note that I am not affiliated with this sale)

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=227620

BiNumber3
03-15-2008, 07:04 PM
i'd suggest u get something for her that has parts in common with your marker, that way u can switch stuff, trade stuff do whatever, and parts n o-rings dont have to be nearl as diverse.

but let her try out yer gun, see if she likes it, then decide.

Beemer
03-15-2008, 07:35 PM
I also always hesitate handing noobs a marker that can be short stroked. It's not worth the trouble explaining what it is or how to stop it. Even the simple "you must pull the trigger and release it all the way" just gets me looks of confusion.

Heh, I know what you mean there. The level 10 bolt fixes all that tho. Then again I can shoot all my mags all day long with out it and not break a ball. Go figure.

My opinion, Mag with lvl10 inside

Heh heh I see what you did there Steel. :ninja:

tribalman
03-16-2008, 12:15 AM
i'd say go with the cocker trilogy. i really like mine. all i've ever had to do was clean it cause i was shooting odd shaped balls that day and chopped, or to oil it up. plus the whole kit for it is cheap. i would recommend upgrading the barrel. but that is pretty much with any stock marker.

riceboi
03-16-2008, 12:28 AM
lady love invert mini

senghing27
03-16-2008, 12:50 AM
We talking woods? speedball or both?

Compressed air? More gear, etc?

I vote Mini....

pk5
03-16-2008, 12:52 AM
Go for the tippman if you want something reliable, depend if she like flashy or not too. If you already going to get a tac-one you may want the mag though, at least if the tac-one were to have some problem with it, you can pick up the mag and comfortably use it.

Unless you are used to pneumatic marker don't get them, some of them take time to tune or fix on the field and that may just make your gf mad ( had that happen to me :( )

paintball72
03-16-2008, 10:00 AM
mini or mag imo

KC
03-16-2008, 11:04 AM
A5 for the gf or as a loaner. I had a classic with level 10 I used as a loaner. People were always twisting the barrel closed, short stroking/double feeding and without an expansion chamber newbies had trouble with co2.

Ive moved over to a5 loaners. I can have 2 used a5s available for the cost of the classic and its nitro.

Its also a very easy gun for newbie to aim.

sunjess
03-16-2008, 11:15 AM
yea, I think im between an A-5 and Invert Mini right now. I like the mini for size reasons she doent want something too bulky. When I go without here I want to have a decent backup to the tac-one. I have been doing a lot of research on the mini and there is a lot of really positive feedback on it and its only 125 bucks more expensive then the A5. Not sure about maintenance on the mini though

Doug

Steelrat
03-16-2008, 12:15 PM
yea, I think im between an A-5 and Invert Mini right now. I like the mini for size reasons she doent want something too bulky. When I go without here I want to have a decent backup to the tac-one. I have been doing a lot of research on the mini and there is a lot of really positive feedback on it and its only 125 bucks more expensive then the A5. Not sure about maintenance on the mini though

Doug

Out of curiosity, why the A-5 ahead of a 98 with ACT?

riceboi
03-16-2008, 12:18 PM
i been using my mini for over 1 year now love the gun and it use cocker barrel. if u want know more about mini feel free msg me but u have put up with my bad english
:shooting: :shooting:

Foxworthy
03-16-2008, 12:36 PM
If you want an electro, you can get a good deal on some of those:

Heres an unused fusion for $250 (note that I am not affiliated with this sale)

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=227620

Is that an 07 Fusion?

Anyway Fusions are a nice marker but unless that's an 08 Fusion that's not a good deal. You can find 07 Fusions for 225 nowadays.

For an intro marker though I'd go with a used mag over a new tippmann I've never had much luck with tippys and they tend to be rental markers. I never really seen the point of buying what you can rent.

sunjess
03-16-2008, 02:07 PM
thanks for all the feedback guys. I showed her several guns and she loved the looks and the size of the mini the best. I checked the reviews on it and saw some youtube clips which reinforced the mini as a good choice. It was a little more then what I wanted to spend but now she is happy and I have a decent backup to the tac-one.

Doug

riceboi
03-16-2008, 02:33 PM
she will like the gun, just dont use egg it will be way back heavy.

Ruler_Mark
03-16-2008, 02:46 PM
make sure you get a light gun. most girls are whimps.

Built this for my girl, used it one weekend and it was 'too heavy'
http://www.modmymag.com/images/serviced/01-08%20Sold%20KnucklesMag.JPG

or running a remote could remove the tank's weight and help

riceboi
03-16-2008, 03:03 PM
dont think there any thing get lighter then mini.

pmstc
03-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Either get her a mini, or a Proto PMR would be perfect. If you have the money, I'd recommend a PMR with a UL frame, it will be easier for her to hold (plus UL frames just kick ***)

I don't think I'd recommend an A5

trevorjk
03-16-2008, 03:34 PM
thanks for all the feedback guys. I showed her several guns and she loved the looks and the size of the mini the best. I checked the reviews on it and saw some youtube clips which reinforced the mini as a good choice. It was a little more then what I wanted to spend but now she is happy and I have a decent backup to the tac-one.

Doug

im actually getting a mini myself for the girlfriend. very reliable markers, very easy to maintain. and will shoot faster then you ever need. plus they are tiny and for teh womanz this gun is perfect (imo)

halB
03-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Well, the girl has already decided on the mini, so you sure as hell better get it!

I wish I had added this earlier. I let my girl use my impulse for her first game. She did not have a fun time with that electronic trigger. She kept shooting people's feet in the staging area. She hated paintball when she was playing with it, and only started to enjoy the game when I whipped out my 10 year old spyder xtra.

ThePixelGuru
03-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Look for a good condition used 'mag for about $100. That's what I did. Then I put a splash kit on it...

Here's her 'mag:
http://people.umass.edu/jtaupier/paintball/splashmag/splashmag3.jpg

Sumthinwicked
03-17-2008, 04:05 PM
i got mine a goldrush splashed micro gen 1 with 8 in anno matched armson my girl wouldnt take a longbow in trade ! LOL crazy girl