PDA

View Full Version : HPA vs CO2

HyperSnyper
01-18-2002, 04:31 AM
Hello Fellahs,

Got a Q on gas systems. I was thinking about getting a new tank (not sure between a 45/4.5K or a 68/4.5K). I was thinking about keeping myold 68/3K for my second gun, a LP Spyder Compact Java, which my girlfriend uses when we play renegade with our friends.

Anyway, I did a visual test with HPA vs CO2 (oops forgot to mention it was antisiphon), the streams looked pretty identical at a 80 ft range. HPA on the Spyder put a spread on a 18" diameter circle, while the antisiphon co2 placed a maybe a 20-22" spread at 80 ft. Both were fired at a decent and modest 5-6 bps.

Over the chrono, HPA had a fluctuation of +/- 6 while the antisiphon CO2 had a +/- 9.

As you can see there are differces in improvement between both gasses, but by not really that much. Do you think its worth it to keep a second HPA tank for my 2nd gun? Or just run anti siphon CO2 and sell my old tank?

Is it the gun? Tank? Or the fact that I run CO2 in Hawaii?

Let me know guys...

-Hyper

HyperSnyper
01-18-2002, 04:36 AM
Then again, if I did decide to keep the second HPA tank, I always wanted to make a second backup mechanical Mag, a nice and compact RT, which my GF could use. So hard to choose, if she had the RT and I had my HyperMicro, then she could spray more than me =(.

Choices Choices Choices

HyperSnyper

Paintballer86
01-18-2002, 05:31 AM
Origonally posted by AGD:
Co2 Sucks...

I think that should answer your question

TheTramp
01-18-2002, 11:11 AM
Even if you do use CO2 I wouldn't get rid of your N2 tank. If you end up getting a retro you'll need it.

Wayland Fong
01-18-2002, 11:30 AM
lemme give you some advice. trust the nitro.

even if your tank is anti-siphoned, it only reduces the amount of liquid CO2 that gets into your marker, doesn't completely eliminate it. Mags hate CO2.

you don't think that there was much of a difference in performance. i beg to differ. that 3" difference in shot group gives you about an extra square foot area of misses. a lotta your fields are bigger than 80 ft, so that will just increase drastically with distance. the consistency of your tank ain't insanely great cause it's not regulated (ie Flatline or Armeggeddon). but it's still +-3 fps, honostly what more do you expect? frankly, i'm surprised that your CO2 was that good in the first place. one thing about CO2, however, is it will also fluctuate with the outside temperature.

one thing to consider is the fact that you're running nitro through a Spyder, which is a low-end marker not really designed to take full advantage of nitro. so to sum it up, i know its already been done, but to quote Tom Kaye, "CO2 sucks." and i agree whole-heartedly.

HyperSnyper
01-18-2002, 01:27 PM
Just to make sure we are all on the same track.

All my testing was done on my Spyder, I wanted to get another tank, I was wondering if I should keep a second HPA tank for my Spyder or just use anti-siphon CO2.

There is NO WAY IN HELL I would run CO2 on my Mag!

I did a test long time ago before I got my Micro. I had a Minimag and ran it with CO2 (no antisiphon no x-chamber) I rapid dry fired non stop until 100 rounds later there was a hiss down my barrel.

-Hyper