PDA

View Full Version : USPS stole my Valve

dubfunkstar
03-18-2008, 08:19 PM
So I mailed my Vlave of my classic mag to a buddy for some repairs....Stupid me didnt get the insurance...who would have thought...well anywasy he got the package today and it was ripped open and guess what no valve---no level 10 bolt---no spring!!! Oh well guess I learned my lesson..I will head to the post office tomarrow and file a complaint and mybe a police report...but non the less...I have a usless mag now...oh well live and learn...

olinar
03-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Im pretty sure that even without insurance if the package was received torn open The post office is at fault.

Good luck with whatever happens.

dubfunkstar
03-18-2008, 08:30 PM
yeah its just a matter of what will they do??

maniacmechanic
03-18-2008, 08:36 PM
you need to get this going from both end's the guy who got it in a damaged package & you who shipped it

dubfunkstar
03-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Yeah he is going to his post office tomarrow as am I..

jhill112
03-18-2008, 08:40 PM
good luck! they lost some stuff i had and the lady at the post office was a b---- about it.

halB
03-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Im pretty sure that even without insurance if the package was received torn open The post office is at fault.

Good luck with whatever happens.

Them: No, the machines did that. We are not responsible, this happens sometimes

Me: But this is the fourth time it's happened to me. I'm here with my friend who has had the same thing happen to him. And these people waiting in this room next to me had the same thing happen to me. AND A PERSONS HAND OPENED THIS, NOT A STINKING MACHINE!

Them: Fill out a form

Me: WHAT GOOD WILL THAT DO?! THERE'S A THIEF IN YOUR BACKROOM AND THIS AINT FUNNY!

Them: There are no thieves in our backroom. A machine opened it. We can look around the mailroom to see if it is on the floor.

Me: Ok, So I live somewhere for 18 years, this never happens, and I move here, and in 2 years this happens to me 4 times, to my roommate even more times, to my friend here, and to these people, AND YOU'RE TELLING ME IT'S A FREAKING MACHINE DOING THIS?! YOU HAVE A THIEF!!

Them: There are no thieves. Lower your voice.

Me: WHAT YOU WON'T EVEN HUMOR ME?! YOU WON'T EVEN LIE TO MY FACE AND SAY YOU'll LOOK INTO MY ALLEGATIONS? YOU'RE JUST GOING TO DENY IT STRAIGHT UP WITH NO EVIDENCE TO BACK YOU UP, WITH NO REASON FOR DENYING IT?

THEM: Lower your voice

ME: I'M NOT GOING TO LOWER MY VOICE, BECAUSE YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY IN WITH THE THIEF, YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T GIVE A :dance: , AND THE ONLY THING I CAN DO NOW IS CAUSE YOUR WORTHLESS :shooting: TO GET STRESSED OUT, SO THAT MAYBE, AFTER ENOUGH PEOPLE HAVE SHOUTED AT YOU, YOU'LL EITHER DECIDE IT'S EASIER TO STOP YOUR EMPLOYEES FROM STEALING AND DO YOUR DAMN JOB, OR YOU'LL SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE HEAD. EITHER WOULD BE FINE WITH ME

Them: We're calling the police

ME: GO AHEAD! I KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES FOR THEM TO GET HERE, AND IN THE MEANTIME I'LL SCREAM AT YOU, SCREAM AT THE CUSTOMERS OUTSIDE, AND THEN MERRILY BE ON MY WAY BEFORE THOSE DONUT EATING WORTHLESS SLOBS EVER GET HERE. AHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHH AHHHHH

The moral of the story is, go fill out that form and have fun!

BiNumber3
03-18-2008, 09:13 PM
could actually not be the post office's fault, there may be a thief around where u shipped it. Not too uncommon. Chances are it's someone nearby.

Dewok82
03-18-2008, 09:50 PM
How was the valve packaged?

wetwrks
03-18-2008, 10:27 PM
I will say it again. Always ship insured unless you plan on paying for whatever they will lose.

I shipped a barrel to someone out of the US. The package made it as far as the local hub where they decided it might be a firearm part and needed to inspect it further. They opened the end of the tube. I got the tube back without the barrel or the end cap. It was insured for $100.00 and so I ended up with a real nice Stiffi barrel as a replacement.

Sorry to hear about your valve. I have a few classic valves sitting around. PM me and maby we can do some trading.

Steelrat
03-19-2008, 12:13 AM
http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms/MLNtRcvd.aspx

Click it, fill it. Good luck. If you need to do any followup, the USPS Office of Inspector General is the agency that investigates theft of mail by employees. But you have to report it on the US Postal Inspection Service website, in the link I just posted.

AirAssault
03-19-2008, 03:34 AM
Funny story about postal inspectors.....

My buddy and I (16) are going out hanging around.... he says he needs to run by his dads work.... I say ok, what does your dad do?... he says he's a postal inspector..... ok cool. We get there, hey pops...... me quietly.... hey dude, why is your dad wearing a gun? He's a postal inspector.... yeah, you told me but why does he need a gun?

Yeah, I know but come on I was 16, how the heck do I know what a postal inspector is? He did show us a kilo of coke that they picked up, that was cool.

Tunaman
03-19-2008, 04:50 AM
Forget the Postal Inspectors. I am out 650 bucks because they wouldn't prosecute the biotch as the fraud wasn't over 10000 dollars. Dont even waste your time. Been there done that...

Mongoose
03-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Forget the Postal Inspectors. I am out 650 bucks because they wouldn't prosecute the biotch as the fraud wasn't over 10000 dollars. Dont even waste your time. Been there done that...

Do tell

50 cal
03-19-2008, 09:35 AM
I have had good luck with the 2 times I've had to use Postal Inspectors. YMMV.

Hilltop Customs
03-19-2008, 09:37 AM

Tuna you try getting someone from the police dept to give the lady a call? I had a guy(different state) try to rip me off for over 1500 on some motorcycle parts....this guy completely stopped communicating, ignoring calls and everything. When a state police officer and I spoke to him on speakerphone.....well lets just say I had my money back the next day. Most of the time the police cant really do anything, but people tend to take things a lot more seriously when dealing with them.

as for lost shipments, never had any*knock on wood* I had a $1000 package sit out in the rain for 3 days.....but DHL ended up paying me a couple hundred bucks in free shipping for that one :clap:

acropilot19
03-19-2008, 11:18 AM
...I'm still trying to find the o7 Ego I shipped over three weeks ago. The guy who bought it is obviously getting nervous. I have a tracking number, & it was insured. The tracking number shows it bouncing around the mid-west between Ohio & Chicago.
:tard:

pmstc
03-19-2008, 11:24 AM
The USPS, like all government organizations, is completely inefficient and worthless. You are never going to get your valve, or compensation for it. Sorry.

Hook
03-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Man, that sucks! I feel your pain, something similar happened to me back in December. I shipped a complete A-5 setup with Qloader, car stock, J&J barrel kit, Palmer's reg, remote, etc.

The parcel got there in one piece, but it was obvious that the box got opened and retaped.
The A-5, barrel kit and car stock were missing, leaving only the Qloader package and the remote in the box.

The excuse they gave me? "Machines must've done that, we don't have any thieves"

Right, and machines can put tape on open boxes :P

At least I was fully insured so I got refunded for the value of the missing items.

Good luck!

dubfunkstar
03-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Well I went back to the post office...filled out there stupid form..now to wait and see....I also need to come up with a new valve....might as well upgrade hehehe

punkncat
03-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Well I went back to the post office...filled out there stupid form..now to wait and see....I also need to come up with a new valve....might as well upgrade hehehe

I know it sucks, but for the trouble you are going to go through trying to find that valve, and considering that you can find nice classic valves for around $50 and even less. Consider the money spent a learning lesson and saving years on your life due to the stress you will not incur just forgetting about it.

Take a look through the misc. F/S section here. I am sure you will find many things to your liking, and as you say. Perfect excuse to upgrade.

Tao
03-19-2008, 11:28 PM
could actually not be the post office's fault, there may be a thief around where u shipped it. Not too uncommon. Chances are it's someone nearby.

Vicarious liability....the company can be held responsible for the actions of its employees.

BiNumber3
03-20-2008, 12:44 AM
Vicarious liability....the company can be held responsible for the actions of its employees.

hmm, i always thought that unless u expressly ask for signature confirmation or the like, then the post office just places the box on your doorstep, n once they do theyre no longer liable, or did i just assume that? (i make a lot of assumptions:P)

Steelrat
03-20-2008, 12:22 PM

Keep in mind that it's the US Attorney's office that makes that call, the Postal Inspectors don't prosecute anything, only investigate, which is true of all federal agents. A federal agent can investigate the crap out of something, get full confessions, and if they US Attorney declines prosecution, that's it.

And the local law enforcement in Erie county isn't really willing to do much either. NY doesn't grant full peace officer status to federal agents, so they need to go through a local to file local charges. In California, it's a different matter.

Tao
03-20-2008, 04:43 PM
hmm, i always thought that unless u expressly ask for signature confirmation or the like, then the post office just places the box on your doorstep, n once they do theyre no longer liable, or did i just assume that? (i make a lot of assumptions:P)

Well postoffice, courrrier etc liability has always been a questions for me too. But here are some of the things I DO know:

The post office is an "agent" of the receiver. Once you deliver something to the post office (I am not sure if the law has expanded this concept to any other service) it is considered in possession and owned by the recepiant. This is where the classic tale of the post office guy not giving your letter back once you hand it to him comes in. He can't give it back since technically it is not your property once you hand it in.

In law the owner suffers the loss. Technically it is the recipients problem, the sender has completed all he needs to do. ***of course common sense dictates that we should work together to solve the problem but I wanted to mention this for people to be aware of so they can avoid complications :eek:

For liability of the post office, at the very least I know that they are in breach of contract if the item doesnt arrive. So they are responsible for the value of the contract (and the contract alone for the purposes of breaching a contract). Therefore they are liable to reimburse the costs they charged under the contract.

Steelrat
03-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Well postoffice, courrrier etc liability has always been a questions for me too. But here are some of the things I DO know:

The post office is an "agent" of the receiver. Once you deliver something to the post office (I am not sure if the law has expanded this concept to any other service) it is considered in possession and owned by the recepiant. This is where the classic tale of the post office guy not giving your letter back once you hand it to him comes in. He can't give it back since technically it is not your property once you hand it in.

In law the owner suffers the loss. Technically it is the recipients problem, the sender has completed all he needs to do. ***of course common sense dictates that we should work together to solve the problem but I wanted to mention this for people to be aware of so they can avoid complications :eek:

For liability of the post office at the very least they are in breach of contract if the item doesnt arrive so they are responsible for the value of the contract (and the contract alone for the purposes of breaching a contract). Therefore they are liable to reimburse the costs they charged under the contract.

Yeah, good luck suing the postal service. Hope you have deep, deep pockets.

Or, spring for insurance next time?

Tao
03-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Yeah, good luck suing the postal service. Hope you have deep, deep pockets.

Or, spring for insurance next time?

Yeah exactly...just stating the facts to know, but I guess the one fact I should have mentioned at the end is that to enforce any of it you need to sue... :(

Also on the same note ensurance is just another element to the contract so if they dont pay up you have to sue to enfore it too.... :( :(

Steelrat
03-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Yeah exactly...just stating the facts to know, but I guess the one fact I should have mentioned at the end is that to enforce any of it you need to sue... :(

Also on the same note ensurance is just another element to the contract so if they dont pay up you have to sue to enfore it too.... :( :(

Actually, the postal service has a bunch of internal controls in regards to insurance. As long as you follow their rules, and provide the necessary information, they'll pay. There is no real incentive not too in a large bureacracy. The thing people forget is that they need some sort of proof of value. In the case of paypal, you need a bank statement showing the balance transfer to paypal, or a credit card transfer of money.