PDA

View Full Version : Smart Reg - is it ok or is it junk?

DJSOLID
01-18-2002, 07:37 AM
I purchased a Teflon body Minimag hopper right from the owner of a field I play at. It was his tourney marker from the mid ninties. It's got a trigger job with dual trigger and no guard (now not allowed in tournaments I've heard) and a Smartparts "SmartReg" and Venom Thunderbolt. Does anyone know how this SmartReg compares to the stock reg and also to the Retro valve? Anyone having info about the Thunderbolt would be appreciated too. This is my first Automag and it's quite an upgrade from that Brass Eagle Raptor piece of junk I had before. I've also just ordered a PMI 3K 68cu in tank - anyone see any potential problems with my setup and that tank? Should I get an inline reg, too, or will that smart reg do fine without it? I know many of you aren't very cool with smart parts stuff - just know I didn't CHOOSE this setup - I just want to know how to make the best of it. From what I understand - this thing was top of the line like 8 years ago - and i've shot it - it's slick. I also bought one of those crown points recently - accidentally, haha - that should complete my old skool mod.

Jonno06
01-18-2002, 08:20 AM
Sounds like a pretty sweet gun,can you get pics of gun w/ smartreg and bolts and stuff?

DJSOLID
01-18-2002, 09:28 AM
Yah - I'll post some pics this weekend.

OldSchoolMag
01-18-2002, 04:17 PM
This "Smart Reg" you speak of... where is it located? Is it in the normal reg position, under the body rail in front of the trigger frame, or what? It's pointless anyways! Here's why - the AIR valve (and RT, ReTro, E-Mag too) is basically a big regulator! You control the output by... yes, adjusting the velocity! It's really quite spiffy, I must say.
Some people will say that two regulators are better than one, and they're right, but it's not NEEDED to operate your gun, infact, it's more of one of those get it if you have 200 bucks lying around... I'd sell it. Hope I helped!

renegade2k
01-18-2002, 04:38 PM
correct me if im wrong but i think the "smart reg" he is talkin about is the smart parts "magic box" i agree though its better without it. look for a stock air valve and sell yours

a_malfunction
01-18-2002, 11:01 PM
Or he could be talking about the smartmag.... magic box without the big box. :)

DJSOLID
01-19-2002, 08:04 AM
To clarifiy I talked to the previous owner. It's a SmartMag "SmartReg" - it's basically a minimag A.I.R. valve that's been modified and then laser engraved with SmartMag. So just underneath the Minimag Laser engraved logo is this SmartMag logo. - Basically, SmartParts elves got in there and did their little ditty. 'Cept I'm not knowin' what they did.

apache
01-19-2002, 09:17 AM
The SmartMag modification has been discussed here before, do a search, you should find something. IIRC, its air chamber is enlarged slightly thus lowering the operating pressure a bit. I'd bet there's 8-hole mod too. If you used CO2 in your gun, those mods might do something but at least they won't hinder performance even with HPA. The Retro valve would be better though because it turns the gun practically into an Automag RT.

The Venom Thunderbolt is an awesome bolt if it works in your gun. Shoot it as long as it lasts. The middle stick inside the bolt (whatsitsname...) is known to be easy to break in Thunderbolts but if it works now, keep it that way. I have one but it's too worn to work in my gun :(

You've got a good setup, just add HPA tank and you're set. No need for inline reg, the Mag's valve is actually a regulator.