PDA

View Full Version : Question for you runners

Lohman446
03-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Looking for a new trail running shoe. My Nikes are about dead, and my treadmill Reeboks are not going outside at this point.

Looking at the Salomon XT and some of the New Balance shoes. Also looking for other opinions from those who have some experience. I run at a far more forward gait than I should (working on correcting this) and most of the trail running is going to involve clay paths, but intend to run these on ashpalt for a couple 5Ks I have planned this summer. They may also hit sand on the beach (though I still have a set of Nike's around somewhere that would be ok for that), so they need to be pretty versatile

kosmo
03-19-2008, 03:42 PM
How is your arch?

Lohman446
03-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Low

kosmo
03-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Try a set of New Balance 1122s. Those were my favorites for back when the army could make me run.

spacedtedybear
03-19-2008, 11:16 PM
How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Your weight determines first and foremost the kind of shoe you should have, not your arches, unless you have the biomechanics of a duck.

In regard to trail shoes: Avoid them, most of them are utter crap. Any good "road" shoe with good support is a trail shoe. The aggressive lugs simply increases your chances of picking up mud and clay. The only reason tires have them is because their high RPM allows them to throw off the excess. Despite what manufactures have you think, waterproof uppers don't breathe period. Either you sweat your feet off in them, or you peak up water from a stream.

Army
03-20-2008, 01:24 AM
New Balance is the only American made shoe. It is also the only one you can have custom sized from the factory. I've got a wiiiiiide foot, and NB was the only one that was able to accomodate my flippers. After decades after painful feet after running, I now have shoes that actually fit me and are painless at the end of day. Price is better than most too, as you are not simply buying a lot of name.

kosmo
03-20-2008, 01:34 AM
How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Your weight determines first and foremost the kind of shoe you should have, not your arches, unless you have the biomechanics of a duck.

In regard to trail shoes: Avoid them, most of them are utter crap. Any good "road" shoe with good support is a trail shoe. The aggressive lugs simply increases your chances of picking up mud and clay. The only reason tires have them is because their high RPM allows them to throw off the excess. Despite what manufactures have you think, waterproof uppers don't breathe period. Either you sweat your feet off in them, or you peak up water from a stream.

I should beat the crap out of you for talking like I dont know aaht IUm talking about,. I may be drunk right now, but Im pretty darn sure Lohman doesnt wiegh less than 160ish. Unless hes a midget. But trail sjhoes do suck.

Lohman446
03-20-2008, 05:40 AM
Yeh, I don't expect 160 is going to happen unless I start shedding muscle weight. I weigh in around 180lbs, 5'10"

I wasn't even able to touch the 160 mark when I was trying to sneak in lighter weight classes when I was fighting :(.

spacedtedybear
03-20-2008, 12:03 PM
I should beat the crap out of you for talking like I dont know aaht IUm talking about,. I may be drunk right now, but Im pretty darn sure Lohman doesnt wiegh less than 160ish. Unless hes a midget. But trail sjhoes do suck.
I'm talking like I know more than most people on this board, rather than your drunken assumption with an attached veiled threat.

Running literature, whether in books, magazines, and etc., are flooded with poor terminology with regard to running shoes. After working in a track&field/running specialty store for the better part of 7 years now, I've seen numerous ~100lbs girls running in shoes who are built for people more than twice their size and weight. When asked the reason why they bought them, the typical response was that they had low arches or flat feet. I've seen the reverse as well, IE 200+ pound clydesdales in shoes made for interval work on the track. Too much support can hurt you as much as shoes with too little.

So at ~180lbs, you're maxing out the weight handling your middle of the roads stability shoes and going into the motion control catagory. Though you might be good in in some of the higher end stability shoes ( the ones ~$130). Without looking at your feet and watching you run, I can't really recommend a particular shoe or even brand since your feet is unique to everyone else's. Try to look for running specialty stores around your area. If they're good, they'll make you run a few meters ( yes I use metric) to see if you have anything funky with your biomechanics, than they'll give you shoes that is appropriate your size, weight, and the way you run. Shoes also don't break in. So go for what feels the best right off the bat.

Lohman446
03-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Oh... my running stride is all screwed up. We used to run a lot (we're talking 2-3 miles at a time) in kenpo on the balls of our feet (with obviously shortened strides). Trying to get out of this habit and into a "normal" running stride is an issue, and at best I still am far too forward when running. Then again, I'm only doing it for fun so its not a panic thing.

Pacifist_Farmer
03-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Help me out here fella's...

I probably do have the biomechanics of a duck, flat feet, size 14 (in most things), never been a runner, I've started getting back in shape and I realized that running or at least hitting the tread mill is going to be integral to that.

Is there some place I can go to get an accurate and proper fit for a pair of running shoes? I'm not expecting miracles but some one out there must be able to tell me what size and shoe is best going to keep me moving.

custar
03-20-2008, 01:53 PM
New Balance shoes are quality, but I am a big believer in Asics with gel. When I was running to get into condition for the Marine Corps (many years ago), I developed a fierce case of shin splints. I couldn't stop the conditioning, so I picked up a pair of Asics gels. My shin splints gradually resolved even though i kept up the running. I have loved them every since.

custar

kosmo
03-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Help me out here fella's...

I probably do have the biomechanics of a duck, flat feet, size 14 (in most things), never been a runner, I've started getting back in shape and I realized that running or at least hitting the tread mill is going to be integral to that.

Is there some place I can go to get an accurate and proper fit for a pair of running shoes? I'm not expecting miracles but some one out there must be able to tell me what size and shoe is best going to keep me moving.

Your best bet is to forget running and go swimming. Its about 50x better for you than running, and gigantic duck feet are made for swimming.

spacedtedybear
03-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Oh... my running stride is all screwed up. We used to run a lot (we're talking 2-3 miles at a time) in kenpo on the balls of our feet (with obviously shortened strides). Trying to get out of this habit and into a "normal" running stride is an issue, and at best I still am far too forward when running. Then again, I'm only doing it for fun so its not a panic thing.
Well, what I do with my athletes who have this problem, is to start out with a brisk walk for a couple of steps, than gradually pick up the pace to where you're just getting airbourne. At this slow of pace, you wont have enough of a knee lift to where you're extending your foreleg excessively to where you involuntarily land on your metatarsals. Keep your toes pointed up and you should be fine. If you run too much off those metatarsals at your size you'll wind up with shin splints, stress fractures and petella tendonitis. Landing on your heels and pronation is how the body absorbs shock.

With size 14 feet, you're probably at least 200lbs or the upper hundreds. Motion control shoes are probably the safe bet. If you do want to stay on your feet, and it's been a while since you've been physically active, start with a walking program first.

The only shoe that I personally can give recommendations for people who are around and over 200lbs are the 'Brooks Beast'. It's been a solid shoe for the past 20 something years of its existence. I believe it was the first shoe that was built for the bigger guy. I've fit those things on Somoans whom easily top 300lbs with feet that resembles Fred Flintstone's, as well as big guys who are conditioning for the armed services and municipal duties ( firefighters, cops, and the like).

Pacifist_Farmer
03-21-2008, 06:41 AM
gigantic duck feet are made for swimming.

:) It's true I swim like a fish, I always have.

I will be looking into it, but I like the idea and flexibility of going for a run as opposed to swimming.

spacedtedybear: I weight in at about 190. I'm going to look into some motion control/Brooks Beast's, thanks.

spacedtedybear
03-21-2008, 11:00 PM
:) It's true I swim like a fish, I always have.

I will be looking into it, but I like the idea and flexibility of going for a run as opposed to swimming.

spacedtedybear: I weight in at about 190. I'm going to look into some motion control/Brooks Beast's, thanks.
Try to compare it to other shoes within that catagory, or some of the higher end stability shoes ( the ones with a ~130 price tag). You're not overly heavy, but if your feet are as flat as you say they are, than the motion control shoes is the safer route. You don't know anything about shoe A, unless you compare it with shoe B. Kinda like test driving cars...... or in your case, trucks.

Just be sure to take it easy the first couple of days. Those are going to be the most painful ones, even if you have the "best" shoes in the world. Try to stay on natural surfaces. Treadmills help to an extent, but be sure to mix it up a bit with some stuff on the dirt. Do a little bit a lot. Don't lump all your workouts in 3 or 4 days. Spread it out over the entire week. My boss likes to say, " The number of days you eat, should be the number of days you work out".

Lohman446
03-23-2008, 06:53 AM
I ended up buying some New Balance 903s. I took the advise that overly luggy running shoes were not a good idea and these had just enough "traction" to make me happy.

That and I was only looking at them. When I tried them on I was instantly happy about the feel, enough so that I'm going to look at another set of NBs.

I did a few miles in them last night on the treadmill as Tradehome told me they were returnable if not worn outside. I am not returning them.

Not exactly what was recommended (but I did listen) but I am happy with them.

kevdupuis
03-23-2008, 08:34 AM
I've worn only New Balance since 01 and would love to see them come out with a safety version of their shoes.