PDA

View Full Version : automag rt trigger problem

vmaxnick
03-20-2008, 02:40 PM
really quick answer please as I am mid strip down.
I've just received my automag rt classic and it was in a woefull state, I have striped down cleaned and replaced a couple of o rings and other things.
I just gassed her up
On the foregrip you have a knurled on off for the gas, move this into on and she fires off like a mad thing without me touching the trigger.
I know I have got the trigger wrong but can't see how to do it right.
Is there a demo or do you know what I've done wrong? I thought there would be a small hole in the back of the trigger cam for the trigger rod, but I don't see one so I just tucked the rod under the can which seemed to operate the shoe in the body of the gun so I thought I had it right. Wrong!!!!!
Advice please

vmaxnick
03-20-2008, 03:37 PM
have looked at the tom kaye video and thats not my problem, trigger is good.......Hmmmmm

03-20-2008, 03:37 PM
is your trigger rod tight against the trigger? if so thats the problem, there needs to be a little space between the trigger and rod when its aired up

vmaxnick
03-20-2008, 04:02 PM
I just tried again, she just goes ballistic, dry fired a few tines ok then went mental before leaking like a sieve thru the hopper and barrel
I can only find toms video for a 68 which is similar but not the same!
Have had the RT valve apart now (didn't want to do that!) but it all looks to be ok.

I haven't replaced any significant O rings the field strip pin and all inside the RT valve were good

I can't fathom it.
I am only gassing to 2500psi as the bottle is waaaay out of test and I don't want to push my luck but 2500 should be enough to get going?

03-20-2008, 04:07 PM
does it have level 10?

vmaxnick
03-20-2008, 05:05 PM
no, I'd say it's got what it was given at birth!
I have adjusted the trigger but it hasn't helped
it will fire once or twice then it goes kill crazy for about 10 seconds then you have to shut the gas supply to stop it. Switch it back on and it's good till you touch that trigger again then it's off again! does this a few times then it's out of gas!
but before you start shooting and it still has a good fill, it does not leak. also, if you put paintballs in it fires a few then starts smashing them all to hell.
Could it be feeding way too much pressure? I thought they have a relief valve so probably not.
The marker seems to be nearly there but something is obviously out of canter!

The good news is that nothings actually broken or worn out so I should be able to get it right with a little bit of good advice!!

03-20-2008, 06:36 PM
the leak down the barrel is probably the power tube oring

vmaxnick
03-20-2008, 07:00 PM
the leak down the barrel is probably the power tube oring
It's actually not leaking at all until the pressure drops.
Heres a thought, I've been reading some of the other threads and it appears that there needs to be pressure on the trigger rod, please forgive me not using proper terms but I am new to this. Now when I bought my RT, the guy said it had been modded for single shot. It turned out that the mod consisted of a piece of cardboard taped to the front of the trigger guard which all but prevented me from getting my fat finger in (Needless to say I removed). On the advice earlier above, I stripped out my trigger and found the little push rod which presses into the back of the trigger cam was threaded about 1/4 " where it goes into the clevis, so acting on the advice I received before I have tightened the push rod into the clevis giving loads of free play at the trigger. I am now wondering if this was the wrong way to go. Perhaps the card in the trigger was a crude bodge to put tension on the trigger push rod to prevent ramping (Valve bounce)? In which case perhaps I should loosen the push rod in the clevis and thus create tension on the trigger at all times?
I read on another thread that the trigger has to put pressure on to the sear to get it to re-cock.
Does any of this support the problems I'm having?
Also in another thread i read that the trigger push rod/ clevis is a fixed length whereas mine has about 1/4 " of adjustment. Is this a modification or am I just understanding it all wrong?

Please advise!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

secretweaponevan
03-21-2008, 12:54 AM
Check for wear where the sear and bolt interface.

Hilltop Customs
03-21-2008, 01:13 AM
It sounds like your full auto problem is because you forgot the top o-ring in the on/off. Pull the marker apart again and in the bottom is the on/off assembly. The pin in the center moves up when you pull the trigger, and there should be an o-ring up in there that seals on the on/off pin. Most of the time it stays up in there when you take it apart, but sometimes it comes out as the on/off is pulled out.

When you dont have that o-ring sometimes you will get lucky and the bolt will catch when you release the trigger, but if you hold the trigger in it goes full auto.

the sear rod should be just short enough so the trigger has a SLIGHT movement before it contacts the rod(this is while the marker is gassed up) In other words while the guns gassed up and the trigger rod is all the way forward, you should be able to grab the trigger and pull it forward so it doesnt contact the rod. all you want is a slight gap. add some locktite when you get it to the right length. You dont want the rod tight against the trigger because this can cause issues with bolt wear and other issues.

athomas
03-21-2008, 11:19 AM
It definately sounds like an on-off oring problem. I'd check there first.

You mentioned that it had been modded for single shot. Is it possible that you have an old double action frame assembly? Originally, these frames allowed a shot on the trigger pull and one on the release. Tournaments made these illegal, so guys modded them to only allow one shot but with a very short trigger pull.

Check the condition of your sear. A rounded tip could also contribute to full auto. As a new to you valve, I would completely replace all the orings and bolt spring, and maybe even the sear, to give yourself a good starting point. Then you would know the valve is in like new condition.

vmaxnick
03-21-2008, 04:02 PM
I have ordered a full tune up kit from fat bobs paintball (UK) I want to get the marker working how it should, then I will level 10 it!
I will strip it down again tomorrow and check the things you have mentioned

Thanks
I will post my findings