PDA

View Full Version : Anyone only play for the fun of it ?

going_home
03-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Is there anyone left that the only reason they play is for the fun of it ?

Anyone else sick of "win at any cost" attitudes ?

Are there still people that actually leave the game when they get hit ?

Anyone have the mindset that, no matter if they win or lose the game,
if they had fun, their objective was met ?

I do have to say, the pump guys seem to still have this type mindset .

Maybe I'm just old fashioned.....

:(

Madmarx
03-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Yes Sir!

Try not to play with those guys

That'd be me but I must cause serious pain to one of my brothers to get him to leave.

Always

Maybe not old fashioned, just not a punk. :cheers:

VTLO910
03-23-2008, 11:41 AM
I play that way... Although I do "Paint Check" myself alot... My Fat tends to bounce alot of balls...lol

spectre184
03-23-2008, 11:43 AM
(

I'm this way.

There were times I called myself out on hits that I easly could have cheated.

... Although I do "Paint Check" myself alot...

same here....

craltal
03-23-2008, 11:43 AM
I had fun yesterday, although I did see some of the attitude you mention in some of the others that were there. I watched a ball of mine hit someone, him flinch at the impact, but continued to fire as if nothing happened (he finally decided to leave when 5 move found their way to him)

At the end of the day and shot in the back by my own team 6 times because they were trying to shoot the two little kids that had just surrendered to me when they came up on the bush I'd been using for cover for ten minutes.

And don't get me started on the attitudes encountered when we tried to gently encourage proper safety...

Seems the teenagers are the ones that have brought the non-nonchalant/ win-at-all-cost attitude to the local fields and the scary part if the younger kids are emulating them.

*sigh*

Empyreal Rogue
03-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Yesterday I was refereeing and spent all morning and early afternoon working with over 60 people who were mostly competitive kids who would get really upset and pissed off if they were shot out or lost.

Then the last hour of the day I got to take 6 people, 2 friends and 4 walk ons, up to one of our smaller fields and watched them play some 3 on 3 and it didn't matter who shot who or who won, none of them cared. And after every game they'd gather up and laugh about it. Honestly the only good I was for them was to do some paint checks, they refereed themselves quite well. It was a great way to end a shift, watching 6 really honest and stand up guys finish a day of play.

Rarely do I get upset on a paintball field nowadays. When I do, it's when someone else is doing something they shouldn't be or acting a way they shouldn't be. Whether I win, lose, get shot, or shoot out 5+ players, as long as I'm having fun that's all that matters to me.

txaggie08
03-23-2008, 12:51 PM
I ONLY play for fun anymore. honestly I like to play with guns, to tinker and to customize. When I gplay, it's just to have fun...usually with other refs or walk on groups.

I hate the win at all costs attitude....jeez it's just a bloody game.

olinar
03-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Im the same way, I got out for fun.

If Im not doing it for fun then why do it at all, After all its just a hobby....

going_home
03-23-2008, 02:00 PM
I ONLY play for fun anymore. honestly I like to play with guns, to tinker and to customize. When I gplay, it's just to have fun...usually with other refs or walk on groups.

I hate the win at all costs attitude....jeez it's just a bloody game.

I'm the same way.
To me its almost as much fun building a custom marker as it is playing paintball.

;)

pk5
03-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Isn't it kinda funny to post this kind of question here on AO or mcarter? Since most of the people that frequent these 2 forums are generally old guard that like to play for the fun of it?

Anyway :-P, just to answer the question, i still play for fun, even though i have electro pneu that can walk, just never seen the point of it.

and the only 2 places that i take my kids / god daughters to go play are either with the newbie team or with our private group. The intermediate and advance group are just wayyy too rude, and the ref doesn't do jack about foul language.

Old School 626
03-23-2008, 02:11 PM
Yes, yep, ya, damn skippy!

mustangii
03-23-2008, 02:12 PM
mostly play for fun, don't care if we win. Thats why i'll porbly never go beyond rec ball, have played in some senarios, have seen win at all costs. Don't like it.
catch you later
edm

DevilMan
03-23-2008, 02:14 PM
I play for fun!!!! Always have. Have taken the walk more than once due to some long ball shot that landed/broke on the top of my shoe from someone shooting way high over a guy up the field from me.

Took one of the knee pad this last time and was in the middle of the run barely felt anything got to the bunker and checked (making sure to not take a knee first) and DAMN!!!! Where did that come from??? Oh well back to the start point.... :D

So yeah there are plenty of folks out there that still do it for fun. We all know that we aren't "good" enough to be pros and well there is nothing on it but to have a good time. I pay to have a good time and intend to do so at all costs.

Don't give up on humanity just because some out there should have been flushed.

DM

trevorjk
03-23-2008, 02:30 PM
i always play for fun win or lose, heck, even at some games if i see a rental player who is still in the game ill hand them my gun to finish the game :)

03-23-2008, 02:34 PM
After reffing as many games as I have, somewhere in the hundreds, Ive seen every example of bad player.
These players are what I strive never to be
Win or Lose, Im still having fun
Im the guy who yells "Great Shot!!" to the guy who just gogged me from across the field
Ill spend my time in between games, fixing the guns of people that Im going to be playing against, just so they can have fun also
Yeah its competetive, and I want to win (who doesnt) but in the end ITS A GAME!!

AltogetherAndrews
03-23-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm not terribly good at paintball, but I have fun playing. Most of the people I know, and even most of the people we rent to, have about the same mentality about the whole thing. And then there is team aspect that we tend to go for; I'm a real good martyr for whatever team I'm playing on, and that's fine. Not that it really matters if the team wins or loses either, especially seeing as how our teams are created 5 minutes before starting a game. I play paintball in pretty much the same way as action movies play the Oscars, really.

afortuna
03-23-2008, 02:44 PM
I used to play for fun, now I don't play. Tired of the cost involved with playing. I'm tired of the kids being taught that cheating is the only way to compete. Tired of the attitude from the kids. Everything I have with exception of a beat up Spyder, gravity hopper, and co2 tank is gone.

Too hard with a family to play and added to the above, not attractive anymore.

BREAD_DA_PAINTER
03-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Went out yesterday with a couple friends and played at our closet field and we all had a great time.. Didnt get to play any speed ball fields but did play on the spool field and in the town field. Its a large area set up like a small town, no woods at all the whole area is on a old golf driving range. There was alot more rentals there than not so not alot of cheating other than yelling from the dead box. but that is excpected in times like that. One of the guys was rb211 here on ao and he got me into paintball and the other is a buddy of mine and this was his 2nd trip out and he is starting to get the bug.. I went out to use my EP mag that rb211 just finished and my baby rips, I will be putting up a video of all his work on her when i get it back from anno..

FiXeL
03-23-2008, 04:03 PM
I play for the fun of it... what else? Thank god the players on the field that i go to have the same mindset.

mr doo doo
03-23-2008, 04:13 PM
fun is what paintball is all about, and honesty too! yea, i may get shot a lot, but hey, at least i enjoying my time :clap:

mtaylor
03-23-2008, 04:42 PM
I play to have fun, and often call myself out on bounces.

Pump FTW!

tribalman
03-23-2008, 04:52 PM
yes and no. i play to have fun, but i don't play right now, no $$ :cry:

always was

yup. i will even try and find the other person and say good shot, nice move, etc

depending. if it's a tournament, no. i want to win. that's why i am attending. as for free play yeah.

Maybe I'm just old
edited for joke. XD :rofl:

Zone Drifter
03-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Sometimes I deliberately do charges, knowing that i'll get pelted with paint just because i want to go back to the staging area and have a good excuse to tell my team. XD And hell yeah! i play because it's totally fun. Half the time I compliment people who take me out on the field, it's all about a positive attitude. The game isnt fun unless you make it that way.

paintballfiend
03-23-2008, 05:00 PM
I play mostly rec-ball, so of course I play for fun since I can't really tell which side "wins".
I got a pump to have even more fun, but I'm still pretty low on the learning curve. :)

phatty123
03-23-2008, 05:20 PM
I play for fun... I still hate losing stacked "pros" vs newbs games that happen at my field.

-barry

dstud2000
03-23-2008, 06:15 PM
I still play for fun...especially in scenario games, I have a blast crawlin and hiding and getting into the storyline.

Geronimo7
03-23-2008, 06:49 PM
For me it's always been for fun. I never care who wins or loses. The only thing I count at the end of the day is how many people I shot out, he he, and how many I torment after I seen them wipe :rofl:

But ya it's always been for fun, never let it turn into something else.

I tried to explain to a buddy of mine the difference in playing paintball and golf. Both are fun, but there is something paintball gives you that other things don't :headbang: that adrenalin rush. Getting bunkerd down and fighting your way out of it. AHHH there's nothing better :D

KKPASA
03-23-2008, 07:10 PM
I went out yesterday with some friends. There were about 30 players there from newbies to pros and everybody was having a great time. No attitudes, no cussing, and as far as I could tell no cheating. It was a perfect day of play. Everyone there was just having fun.

Spider-TW
03-23-2008, 08:45 PM
My whole team and several of the scenario teams we play against are out for fun. I have to admit that we watch for each other on the field and things may get a little...busy sometimes. We also take notice of people that like to win at all costs and make sure we run the cost up. :D

maniacmechanic
03-23-2008, 08:52 PM
I think I know where this came from (WW)
All I play is outlaw & scenarios
Most of the local outlaw guys are cool , we take the hit & walk , I can't tell ya how many times i've called out only to see a "no break" on the way out
The scenario scene is a lot different , especially the ones with large #'s of players , the guys that play on is way too many & depending on the producer , sometimes there are just not enough ref's OR they have other duties to attend to
Now on to your ?'s

yes there are still a few of us , when i'm not havin fun anymore i'm quitting

yes , in my opinion the Honest player is allways a winner

can't speak for anyone else , but I do

yes

From what I see this is true & i've found that playing pump in the woods with a bunch of electro's will make you a better player also

some people would say that's just bieng honest
but then isn't it about honesty integerity & sportsmanship

robnix
03-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Me! But then I've never played for anything other than the fun of it.

I don't play in that enviroment.

I drive the extra mile to play at fields that the regular rec guys like me go to.

For me, playing the game in an honorable fashion is part of what makes it fun.

Mostly.

Not really.

PumpMag
03-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Just join one of the AO games. Those are always fun! :headbang:

Babylon 5
03-23-2008, 10:11 PM
I still do but I find myself not going to the local fields any more. I've gotten into scenario paintball cause it seems to still have the fun attitude. I'm not saying I don't run into the "win at all cost" mentality but it seems to happen alot less at the scenarios I've been to.

Silverback
03-23-2008, 10:11 PM
In response to your question, "Anyone only play for the fun of it?" This happened at CPX, on Sat. 3/22/2008:

Originally posted on "PBJunkie.com"

After 20+ years of playing paintball I thought I'd seen it all.... I could not have been more wrong.

I have been wanting to play at CPX Sports field south of Joliet, IL. since it first opened over 10 years ago. Today I finally got the chance.

Things started of badly when I woke to 12" of snow on the ground in Benton Harbor, MI. where I am working. (Have I mentioned that I REALLY hate the cold and snow?) After finally finding the field, using the directions on the CPX website; they were WRONG, and only after getting on the phone and wading through the various menus on their phone system, which has no HUMAN on it only pre-recorded messages. I finally got right directions with a warning NOT to use the directions on the website. I was then told that if I had further questions to consult the website!

I got to the field at 13:30 (1:30 PM) and paid my $18.00 registration fee, which included all-day air, not bad, but then. I went to get paint, and as much as I LOVE MARBALLIZER, the $90.00 a case price was a bit much, especially since this is the ONLY PAINT available! OUCH!!

As I entered the staging area, about 13:35, an announcement was made about third and final call for open (walk-on) players for a game on "Widowmaker" field. I was not ready, but I saw alot of players still hanging around and figured that another game would start soon.... Oh Contrare!

I got my gear together and headed for the target range to chrono my marker. Outside the entrance to the range, were sign saying, "GOGGLES ON!". When I walked into the nice covered range there were 5 kids and an adult (turned out to be their Dad!) working on a marker, and not one of them with a mask on. I said, "Guys, You need to put on your goggles." Nothing. I repeated, "Guys, You need to wear your goggles while inside the range." The Dad and a couple of kids turned around and scawled at me, like I had just told them they were ugly! No goggles, just dirty looks! They finished and left, then I chronoed my marker, then went and talked to the Refs about making a reminder announcement to wear goggles in the target range. It was about 13:45. I was told they would look into it, but no announcement was made.

I then got to stand around waiting for an "Open" game until 15:00 (3:00 PM) ONE AND A HALF HOURS AFTER I ARRIVED!!!!

We proceeded to a field called "Badlands" which is an interesting field of old cars, trucks, campers and vans arranged as a sort of "speedball" field. The game started, and a few players on the other team just started charging right down the middle of the field, they were hit several times and just kept coming. I hit a player, who stopped looked down, wiped off the hits and then kept coming! I started yelling for a ref, and getting out of the line of fire, while maitaining fire on several players with multiple hits. I got hit and left the field and watched as these players continue to play until forced of the field by a ref, which didn't happen very often.

We switched sides and started again, this time the players weht to the flanks, and started putting paint onto goggles, and yelling for the refs to check the players, I also told my team mates to shoot for the head and keep firing, but most went down in short order. I had another player pinned and was moving on him pouring paint onto his goggles at max Automag rate. This scum-bag would just wipe the paint off his goggles and keep shooting! (NO, THIS IS NOT A HEADSHOTS-DON'T-COUNT FIELD! But thanks for asking...) I got hit from an angle other than from scum-bag and left the field still trying to get one of the refs to do something! They were both standing in the dead zone. (nough said)

We went back to the staging area, and loaded up for the next game. A couple players came up to me and asked if I had had any problems with players not calling themselves out and continuing to play when hit, and I told them about the previous two games. These players told me that these guys had been doing it all day, and they do it every time they come out. I asked if the field management did anything about it, they said, NO.

We went out onto a field called "The Mounds" dirt mounds arranged into a small field about the size of a 5-man X-Ball field. At the start of the game I moved up the middle and caught a player out in the open dead-bang and lit him up. The player ran back around one of the mounds and appeared on the other end of it firing away at other players. I moved back and started my now all-to-familiar yelling for the refs. I was now firing on three different players on the right boundary. I got a ref to check them and he pulled all three. (Gee, go figure.)
Another player ran up the middle and I opened up over the mound at him. He took several shots to the side and head. He turned and started shooting at me, I returned fire and continued yelling for the refs. This player ran back behind a mound and joined another player who started shooting up the left flank. I hit the secound player several times, (the white marballizer fill showed up well on the brown and green jackets they were wearing) I even threw in a dozen or so bonusballs, but they kept shooting. One of the refs pulled both players and sent them to the far side, then he (the ref) headed back to the middle of the field. I moved around left to help when I was hit, I looked over and it was the SAME PLAYER I HAD ELIMINATED, AND THE REF PULLED!! (still wearing all the paint I had put on him!) As I was walking off the field the second guy (in the brown jacket) opened up on a kid about 11 or 12 years old, from about 10 feet away, AND OUTSIDE THE BOUNDRY TAPE!

At this point I was so pissed, I could hardly see straight, this young kid was covered in paint and doing his best not to burst into tears. I confronted the player in the brown jacket, and screamed at him why did he think the rules of the game did not apply to him and his buddies, and why in the hell he had shot up the kid from OUTSIDE the boundary line! He turned and told me to "Stop whining and BE A MAN!" I screamed back at him asking if shooting up kids, and playing after hit was he definition of being a man, and he told me to, "STOP ACTING LIKE A *****, AND BE A MAN!"

I am ashamed to say at that moment I wanted to see how far I could jam my Automag up this scum bags ***! But I was still in touch with some control and barely resisted the urge. At that point, our johnny-on-the-spot refs showed up and said that since there were so many problems on the field that we should probably head into the staging area. I checked the young kid out when we got back to the staging area, and except for two nasty welts on his arm, the rest of the shots hit the chest protector he was wearing under his jersey. The time was 16:18 (4:18 PM), I packed up my gear and left.

As I was packing several players from my side came over and told me that this was not the first time this had happened, and they thanked me for standing up for them. I player told me he was glad to not feel alone anymore. Is this what these players have to deal with on a regular basis?

I am ashamed of losing my temper at this game, I am usually the person who is calming things down and reminding people that we are supposed to be having fun. I'm still re-running the events of the day in my head trying to figure out if there was anything I could have done to defuse this situation.
If what some of the players were saying is true, I'm not sure I could have done anything,since it looks like this has happened before. I cannot imagine trying to enjoy myself at a field that allows this kind of play.

It just shows me how lucky we as players are that we have fields like PBC, Bear Claw, Hole in the Wall, and all the other fields mentioned in this forum.

I wrote this trying to make sense of the days events, and my reaction. Any feed back, good or bad will be appreciated.

Sam "Silverback" Moyers

punkncat
03-23-2008, 10:43 PM
This is a good post.

I am having a lot of mixed feelings about paintball lately. Most of it has nothing to do with paintball, a lot of it just me. It has become a lot of work for me to "play" paintball, so since coming back I haven't really done it just for the fun of it so to speak.
Before I played two different kinds of ball. I played for the fun of it, usually in the woods with a close group of friends. People that we didn't have to worry about cheating and crap attitude and all the bad stuff.
I had pretty much quit playing walk on ball near the time I got hurt. It had just gotten to be a pain in the butt to go out and deal with all the crap. I did like to take informal days with the team, or parts of it. At least that way you knew you had at least one or two people to watch your back, and not only that but to offer some competition. After scrimmaging with highly experianced players all the time, and working hard to lose bad habits the last thing you want to do is play with walk ons. It makes you sloppy, its not a challenge at all. Even using a purely mech marker against all the little agglets it just was not the same any more.
So I started playing on a more competative level, mostly as a natural progression. What is funny is that at that level you get to know a lot of people better and play with them more regularly. Honestly, IMO it was easier to get a "good" honest game on in a scrimmage than on any open play day. Sure the occational dispute would break out. We don't play with refs most of the time, but for the most part really good and very sporting games going on. You pretty much had to play fair as the whole gang of people that competed with and against each other saw you all the time and knew you. Your reputation rode on it.
Another nice thing is that it is cheaper to play. I get in on a team discount on both paint and field fee.
Of course everyone wants to win. That is what the game is about. But with the comeraderie, its not uncommon to have even your opponents helping you with your game, pointing things out that you need to work on, tips and pointers, etc. To me playing at that competative and want to win level was fun. Not at all costs mind you. I have and always will draw a line at cheating and dishonesty to win.
I look forward to the day that I can get back to that level of competition again. I might have to go back to that open play level again and see what comes of it. Learn to adjust my game, learn how to work within my limitations and find the fun again.

Anyway, I hope you see what I was trying to say through my unfocused bunch of ramble.....

Ninjeff
03-23-2008, 11:16 PM
CPX is horrible for regular games. That being said, i HIGHLY recomend it for scenario play. Very highly.

Im not sure if its because the scenarios are much "higher profile" or what, but they were ran wonderfully when i was there. Ive heard much the opposite for open play rec games.

chafnerjr
03-23-2008, 11:35 PM
:cheers: It's got to be some dedication to the honest guys that play at field with "regular" cheating. I simply wouldn't put up with it! :mad: I've played for 11 years and about 80% of that was just good ol' woods ball. My family had a field w/rentals for a while and we only played with family and friends that we liked. We always had 1 designated ref for about 10 or so people, but we really just policed ourselves. I've been to a couple of fields where there was some "lacking" in the ref department and it led to disappointing days. Often with very slow game turnaround (# of games and time between games). As I'm used to playing upwards of 15 or more games a day when I play, this can be a pretty critical factor.

It's been my experience that the field staff and ref core have the critical role in curbing this behavior. While it seems to me; in my very unprofessional opinion, that 1 ref per side per 10 or 15 people (depending on the field) seems to be a good number of. It's the quality of the ref's that matter! I play fair but I have to expect that occasionally someone else won't have that same mentality. When I don't know who I might be playing with I trust a good ref core to even it out. Any good field that I know of can take care of these "attitude" or "cheating" situations pretty quickly.

For the players that cheat and wipe... I just send a few extra their way to make sure they didn't forget about the first one or two. :ninja:

Army
03-24-2008, 02:29 AM
What? Waiiiiiiiit...we can shoot BACK? I always played by running for the center, getting hit multiple times, and walking back to the deadbox. That IS how it's played...right? Well, that certainly explains the full hopper at the end of the game. I thought I was just doing great on air and paint economy.

:dance:

50 cal
03-24-2008, 09:24 AM
Count me as one of the rec and scenario players.
Tourny play has become "Instant jerk, just add paintball gun"

wek29
03-24-2008, 04:44 PM
While giving an orientation this weekend, I stated that players would have to maintain a lower rate of fire in games against rentals and newer players as well as a safety zone of 10 feet. (We maintain a more speedball oriented set of games for higher rates of fire and bunkering) Someone spoke up and said, well that's how you get better...basically meaning by playing "better" players. I told him that getting better wasn't why everyone was there. I think that mentality ties into the theme of this thread. People think the only reason others play is the same reason they do and forget some just play for fun. (I'm not even going into cheating-too big a topic for my slow typing!)

kruger
03-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Never have played for anything other than fun. Hell, its just a kids game that the Grown-up spend money on.

ME: Honey, I'm gonna play paintball, see you later.
Wifey: idiot.
ME: Yup.

nevtangle
03-24-2008, 05:51 PM
QFT!

The only reason I play if for the fun of it. Winning is just an added bonus. Seems like the AO meets are filled with people that have the same mind set. At least the SoCal meets that I've been to. Playing with people that are just looking to have a good time makes the day that much better.

Chrishew09
03-24-2008, 05:52 PM
ME: Honey, I'm gonna play paintball, see you later.
Wifey: idiot.
ME: Yup.

HAHAHA, i hear the same thing from my wife:p

going_home
03-24-2008, 05:57 PM
While giving an orientation this weekend, I stated that players would have to maintain a lower rate of fire in games against rentals and newer players as well as a safety zone of 10 feet. (We maintain a more speedball oriented set of games for higher rates of fire and bunkering) Someone spoke up and said, well that's how you get better...basically meaning by playing "better" players. I told him that getting better wasn't why everyone was there. I think that mentality ties into the theme of this thread. People think the only reason others play is the same reason they do and forget some just play for fun. (I'm not even going into cheating-too big a topic for my slow typing!)

Excellent point.

;)

Sumthinwicked
03-24-2008, 06:08 PM
yup me i play 4 fun

cougar20th
03-24-2008, 06:59 PM
I play solely for the fun of playing. Always have. When I becomes not fun Ill be done with paintball. Hasnt happened yet.

I call myself out when hit. If i dont call myself out it is because I didnt realize I got hit. Ive had days when Im just not having fun. Just packed everything up and left. I play alot of with my pumps. I find them fun to use and challanging. I also play alot with my electro stuff. Depends on what I feel like that day.

kruger
03-24-2008, 07:01 PM

On a side note, and also along the "fun" theme, I have to say something about the AO crowd.

When I held the AO South game, I was worried about having enough Ref coverage for the day. To be honest, I truthfully did not need any refs for that game. Everybody played honor ball. It was a pleasure to watch a group of guys, that most had never seen each other before, play the game just for the fun of it. My hat's off to all that attended that game. And, the whole point of this post of mine is that it is a sad commentary of the sport that this day that I am referring to is not the norm, but the exception. I truly think that Maggers have the right attitude about the game.

fruktflugan
03-24-2008, 08:05 PM
I play for fun and for fun only.

I am generally not liked by the "speedball"/tourney crowd since I can lose my temper at people that tries to cheat and the field has to put three referees for each player.

Why cheat? If you get hit, you're out. It's that simple!
If you cheat you take away the fun for everyone including yourself.

Heck... ...I might be getting old too. Been playing since there only were pump-guns available.

What I can do is to give new players a positive mindset to the game. Cheating and being a jerk is reason enough to be banned from my field! (Am the secretary of a small paintball organisation so I have a great deal of say in who stays and who goes in our assembly of people)

/Jimmy, Sweden

AltogetherAndrews
03-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Hey Jimmy, what's the general mentality like in Sweden right now? I live in the US (I'm partner in a field in Sweden though), so for logistical reasons I haven't really had much experience with the bigger Swedish paintball community, but in the little time I spent on Swedish PB message boards I've gotten the feeling that there's a general and often outspoken dislike within the community for rec playing and players, due to some supposed need to keep up the "extreme sports" image of paintball. Is that a fair observation?

Silverback
03-25-2008, 01:41 AM
CPX is horrible for regular games. That being said, i HIGHLY recomend it for scenario play. Very highly.

Im not sure if its because the scenarios are much "higher profile" or what, but they were ran wonderfully when i was there. Ive heard much the opposite for open play rec games.

I'm glad to get this info, I was/am(?) planning on playing "Red Storm" in May, as several D-Day team mates from Hellions and some others from the southern region are planning on being there. So I may give CPX a chance to partially redeam itself. Not sure yet.