PDA

View Full Version : barrel kits

paintball72
03-24-2008, 11:00 PM
ive been looking into getting a barrel insert kit and am wondering what brands you guys use and if it is worth it to get a 7 piece kit over a 5 piece. Do you actually use all of your inserts i just dont like buying more than i need (im cheap what can i say :D )

Sumthinwicked
03-24-2008, 11:03 PM
get a 3 set if your on a local field if tourney or senario get 5 7 or 8 remember you can upgrade seperatly esp freak inserts :P

t0nnn
03-24-2008, 11:04 PM
I love my powerlyte sceptor kit..got it off LuisV on here, 7 bore kit, great price and the barrels great. I've only used maybe 3 of the 7 inserts so far in the past 4 months...prolly don't need 7, but you never know

pk5
03-24-2008, 11:58 PM
depend on what you play and how much you emphasize on hitting the target.

Normally i don't think you need more than 1 common bore anyway especially if you play with field paint that depend a lot on the weather.

If you really want to be careful about the paintball then go with the 7 bore size. But i play with field paint and it just grow like crazy, so i just end up using the largest bore i have.

Ooo yeah..my JJ kit come with 5 insert/bore but i only manage to use 1 or 2 max. the .689 and the .692

Sumthinwicked
03-25-2008, 12:12 AM
i snipe so i have a 9 insert freak set ;)

lostprophet
03-25-2008, 01:51 AM
I travel around alot for my play. This has lead me to buy the 5 piece hammerhead kit, I can usually get good boresizing no matter what size paint the field is using. :cheers:

Ruler_Mark
03-25-2008, 01:53 AM
I use deadlywind fibur barrels with the SS freak kit for inserts

Warwitch
03-25-2008, 06:49 AM
Sanchez Machine SM1
Deadly Wind Fibur
Powerlyte Scepter

The only 3 kits I will use.

BigEvil
03-25-2008, 06:58 AM
You really cant go wrong with any barrel kit. I have ones with 3 bores that work fine, and I have ones with 7 bores that work fine also. Price and preference.

:cheers:

secretweaponevan
03-25-2008, 07:43 AM
Cheap?

http://www.pythonpaintball.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

pk5
03-25-2008, 10:02 AM
For that price, i would just go with a whole set that's on sale either here in the dealer forum or on the nation.

Unless you have a twistlock mag and want to convert it to cocker thread.

halB
03-25-2008, 04:37 PM
If you're using cocker threads I cannot pimp the CP line of two piece barrels enough. Sure, you have to buy a new back for each bore, contrast that to inserts where you only have to buy one back, but they're CP! CP has aaaaaalways shot the straightest of any barrel I have ever touched. I also do not trust sleeve insert systems. They can rotate, they can move. I also do not believe that the freak inserts actually line up with the inner diameter of the upper tube of any paintball gun. I get the feeling you could see an "eclipse", in other words, I'm pretty sure that you can see the edge of the insert. I just do not trust anything that thin, that's held in by THAT mechanical connection (which is not a mechanical connection at all. Friction simply doesn't do the job).

So get CP! It's a tad expensive, it's like 30 dollars for each new back. But CP has never ever done me wrong. Hell, since the brick and mortar I ordered from screwed up my order, I've been playing with only the control bore on my impy, and it shoots darts/ropes/strings/neutron bombs. I DO like the looks of the freak better. But some things are more important.

*if you're only going to get one bore, get the .689. I haven't found a ball yet that doesn't fly out that perfectly.

Sumthinwicked
03-25-2008, 04:51 PM
say cp is the best like saying spyders are the best gun Shens i say! i walked into a store looking for a freak back 2 years ago and to check out the store for my boss and got the same speech from the woman behind the counter mind u i work for a store so i laughed at her misinformed knowlage "cp are the best!" me :i want a freak back not crappy cp 34 dolla poor-folk barrel " okie and i see the crack is free in your neiborhood yea better put the pipe down the glass heats up from all that toking and your gonna burn your lips sweety and walked away never to return..... till 2 years later to give them another chance (have 3 mag parts a benchy listed for 80 and some other 1980 prices what a joke but since my store closed i had to try due to distance from field to store was an hour drive he closed it down and he has online now but i needed it that day so i had to try END OF RANT

halB
03-25-2008, 05:19 PM
say cp is the best like saying spyders are the best gun Shens i say! i walked into a store looking for a freak back 2 years ago and to check out the store for my boss and got the same speech from the woman behind the counter mind u i work for a store so i laughed at her misinformed knowlage "cp are the best!" me :i want a freak back not crappy cp 34 dolla poor-folk barrel " okie and i see the crack is free in your neiborhood yea better put the pipe down the glass heats up from all that toking and your gonna burn your lips sweety and walked away never to return..... till 2 years later to give them another chance (have 3 mag parts a benchy listed for 80 and some other 1980 prices what a joke but since my store closed i had to try due to distance from field to store was an hour drive he closed it down and he has online now but i needed it that day so i had to try END OF RANT

I bet the closest you ever got to grammar was Nelly's first single. Don't flame me or troll in here unless you can:

A) put together a sentence
B) not put together a run-on sentence and
C) provide some evidence. Talk about what I said, about how the inserts rotate and whatnot. Can't you even do that? I presented real tangible reasons for WHY I prefer the CP. The only thing I can infer from your post is you like smoking crack.

Sit down. Shut up. Learn english. Of course - what do you expect from someone who called themselves "sumthinwicked" THERE'S A G IN THERE YOU FOOL!

edit: Actually, I'm going to try to rise above you. Here are the reasons why I think the CP barrels are better, listed for your puny brain's convenience.

1) Solid, one piece construction - which means
a) "Control bore" (which shall hereafter be the designation for the part of the barrel that first touches the paintball) can't rotate
b) Control bore cannot move linearly
c) Control bore will ALWAYS line up perfectly with the gun's inner diameter.
d) Control bore CANNOT be moved, influenced, wiggled, shaken, vibrated, or in any other way "touched" by the firing of the gun.
e) Control bore cannot be damaged easily by minor compression - unlike tiny thin inserts. Even if no damage is visible to an insert, it could still influence the paintball's flight because we are talking about thousandths of an inch.
f) I'm pretty sure you can mill metal more precisely if you are milling it out of a solid block vs a thin strip of metal. I'm not sure, but I think the freak bores are rolled too, not drilled out.
2) CP has always created a VERY high quality product. My 8-10 year old CP barrel for my spyder still has the same shine to it. There is no flaking of the anno. There are very few scratches and no deep ones. And I have never kept it in a sock or case or anything.
3) If CP didn't create such high quality products, then you wouldn't see their regs on every gun. Oh... what's that... SP regs are no longer looked at highly? OMG! WHAT A SHOCK! Too bad CP is STILL a highly respected company in every endeavor they undertake.

So there, don't flame me, don't belittle my opinion as stupid. Don't tell me some pointless story about what happened to you when you walked into a store 2 years ago. Argue on these 9 points. Let me give you a tip - F and 3 are my weakest points. Practice arguing on those while the big boys can try to pick apart my other 7 points.

BTW: Open question to everyone: how DO they make those freak inserts?

Oh, and to help out the poor soul who started this thread: Get whichever brand you want. I have shot both the freak and the CP and my eyes can't tell the difference, and I doubt even a computer could. The only question is how you feel about inserts. And as for 5 vs 7 inserts/backs well, there's so much variation between each paintball produced (even in the same case) that I find it hard to believe that those 2 extra inserts could make any difference. Just make sure you have a good range. I would get a .689, a couple right around there, and then one really big one and one really small one to cover all your bases.

Geronimo7
03-25-2008, 05:32 PM
^^
this could get interesting :)

michbich
03-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Where's my popcorn??? LOL I'm not getting into this one, but i sure as hell will watch this thread. :headbang:

EDIT:
Darn, you had to edit it.
About how they make the inserts. I don't know how they make them. As a machinist, and if i had to produce thousands, i would order extruded tubing with a little meat.

If that's with SS inserts. I would bore the ouside, mill them to length (perp to the bore) and grind the outside with a cylindrical surface grinder.

If it were alu. I would probably ream the inside, mill them to length (perp to the ream) and turn the outside on the lath.

Granted, with insert barrels, you have a bigger addition of tolerance issues: Inside of the barrel where the inserts are, the outside of insert and inside of insert. They all have to be concentric compared to 1 piece barrels where you only need the inside of the barrel.

Producing them from billet is out of the question though. There would simply be too much waste.

Sumthinwicked
03-25-2008, 05:44 PM
First off SUMTHINWICKED is spelled for the slow or people like you , :something wicked" is how it is spelt.. Secondly I don't use periods and the such because I am lazy not stupid ... Ty very much. Thirdly as to the rotating of inserts they dont move to prove this you can see the numbers in the window (little cut hole in the back) so go figure that one out buddy. :tard: As to the TROLLING :confused: go look up at the top of the post bud I posted before you,... Of course I will close with " so dont drag your teeth sweetheart ba bye dont play with the big dog unless you have teeth.... On a last note I AM WHITE and listen to metal (you are a rasist pig to assume anything by the spelling of my name ) I am also named SUMTHINWICKED to honor a band I like.

Sumthinwicked
03-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Where's my popcorn??? LOL I'm not getting into this one, but i sure as hell will watch this thread. :headbang:
i love yea man ;)

Sumthinwicked
03-25-2008, 05:53 PM
I refuse to fight like children and clutter this thread sorry I am above that today, but if you would like to continue this useless struggle take it to a pm with me I will play with you all day. :clap:

halB
03-25-2008, 06:04 PM
On a last note I AM WHITE and listen to metal (you are a rasist pig to assume anything by the spelling of my name ) I am also named SUMTHINWICKED to honor a band I like.

Ummm... This is not addressed to this monkey here - but does anyone else think it is absurdly racist that this man here thinks that it's racist for me to say he listens to rap? I mean, we all saw how I was only attempting to make a clever joke. And sorry "summat" but I don't know of any metal songs that have grammar in the title - I also didn't say that because of your name, I said it because you posted some unintelligible drivel(http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/drivel) that lacked grammar. And what about his thinking that his being white precludes (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/precludes) him from listening to rap?

I refuse to fight like children

Actually, I'm going to try to rise above you. Here are the reasons why I think the CP barrels are better, listed for your puny brain's convenience.

1) Solid, one piece construction - which means
a) "Control bore" (which shall hereafter be the designation for the part of the barrel that first touches the paintball) can't rotate
b) Control bore cannot move linearly
c) Control bore will ALWAYS line up perfectly with the gun's inner diameter.
d) Control bore CANNOT be moved, influenced, wiggled, shaken, vibrated, or in any other way "touched" by the firing of the gun.
e) Control bore cannot be damaged easily by minor compression - unlike tiny thin inserts. Even if no damage is visible to an insert, it could still influence the paintball's flight because we are talking about thousandths of an inch.
f) I'm pretty sure you can mill metal more precisely if you are milling it out of a solid block vs a thin strip of metal. I'm not sure, but I think the freak bores are rolled too, not drilled out.
2) CP has always created a VERY high quality product. My 8-10 year old CP barrel for my spyder still has the same shine to it. There is no flaking of the anno. There are very few scratches and no deep ones. And I have never kept it in a sock or case or anything.
3) If CP didn't create such high quality products, then you wouldn't see their regs on every gun. Oh... what's that... SP regs are no longer looked at highly? OMG! WHAT A SHOCK! Too bad CP is STILL a highly respected company in every endeavor they undertake.

So there, don't flame me, don't belittle my opinion as stupid. Don't tell me some pointless story about what happened to you when you walked into a store 2 years ago. Argue on these 9 points. Let me give you a tip - F and 3 are my weakest points. Practice arguing on those while the big boys can try to pick apart my other 7 points.

Answer them. Answer them all. You are running away and everyone knows it.

Sumthinwicked
03-25-2008, 06:05 PM
i will let Adam Gardner sell the freak to you heres a link with LOADS of info although speed-reading it I didn't see weather (sp) they are rolled or drilled. From my multi-sets I have never seen a seam so I'm not sure. http://www.paintballtimes.com/Printer.asp?ID=71 and www.smartparts.com and a good tool for your own use is www.pbreview.com.

Sumthinwicked
03-25-2008, 06:07 PM
This is not addressed to this monkey here so now i am a monkey ?

Sumthinwicked
03-25-2008, 06:21 PM
hal i want you ro reread my origional post (slowly as to my typing as you can see is cruddy LOL ).... i wasnt slamming you i said shens to your opinion and the rest was my reply to the woman pushing barrels that in my opinion as a CLERK WHO SOLD THEM MYSELF a lower level barrel 35 dollars for most cps no thte 2 pieces so they were a tad bit more... Now they make good regs i will bow to that fact. I personally dislike the quality of they're barrels in my opinion i would take stock verse cp ANY DAY

as to your controlled bore are all mags the same exact tolerances ? if that is the case then a lvl 10 wouldnt have 10 carriers (go with me on this) so unless they threads on the barrel were made in a mold as to being as close to an exact copy as possible and not turned off of a lathe theyre will probably have differant tollerances (add human mistakes, temp differances in metals from day to day, and computer error even if off by a lil makes a differance things like tooling wearing out and the such) mind you in the .0001 tolerances theyre still will be differances in metal temps and the such from day to day (most poeple know some cocker barrels fit and some wont on theyre guns common knowlage so i dont believe they are as PERFECT like you think as not much in this world is or we would be both correct :clap:

garbageman705
03-25-2008, 06:25 PM
I have a CP kit, I like my CP kit. CP makes a lot of colors. It shoots good and feels solid. It's not that much more than a full Freak kit and it's a lot less than a Dye kit. Word on the CP kit. :headbang:

pk5
03-25-2008, 06:32 PM
lolz

slow down, i ran out of popcorn

Sheesshh all the guy ask for was a simple question, and somehow it manage to turn into a vs. thread. If you like to be fanboy that much, go to pbn, more people will be glad to join you there.

Not taking either side, but sheeshhh you guy swear that your barrel is the best in the world and nothing can compare to it..........

03-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Ive got a Phat 9 piece pro kit (6 bases 3 tips)
I love it, unfortunately they were made by ACI whose no longer in business, so they might be hard to find

I also use an Evil pipe kit (5 bases 1 tip)
I love it, you can find a pipe kit all over, price isnt to bad and it even comes in a protective case

Also have an old Empire kit (5 bases 3 tips)
I love it

Ive liked every barrel kit Ive shot (when properly matched to the paint)
although I cant shoot a freak, being close to anything SP gives me a horrible rash

Sumthinwicked
03-25-2008, 06:35 PM
pipes r nice btw

paintball72
03-25-2008, 07:51 PM
ok thanks a bunch guys.

Sumthinwicked
03-25-2008, 07:59 PM
sorry about the rants above but hopefully the pbreview will be more of use to you ;) then our warped opinions

Looper
03-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Can anyone speak of these? Titanium Barrel Kit (http://www.sakworldpaintball.com/tipatibakit.html)

Is the price directly connected to hype or are they really worth the dollar they are charging?

I've been toying with the idea of selling my SS freak kit and barrels, Evil Pipe kit, 7 piece Powerlyte Scepter Kit and DW Fibur (DW is actually spoken for) to pool some fundage together and buy the Titanium Kit but would like to have somebody vouch for it before I go through all the effort of BST...

Mann... you out there.... would I be disappointed?

:confused:

Looper
03-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Can anyone speak of these? Titanium Barrel Kit (http://www.sakworldpaintball.com/tipatibakit.html)

Is the price directly connected to hype or are they really worth the dollar they are charging?

I've been toying with the idea of selling my SS freak kit and barrels, Evil Pipe kit, 7 piece Powerlyte Scepter Kit and DW Fibur (DW is actually spoken for) to pool some fundage together and buy the Titanium Kit but would like to have somebody vouch for it before I go through all the effort of BST...

Never mind... I have just finished skimming the "Mann Barrel test thread" and it looks like I'll be starting a BST thread soon...

JaNordy
03-25-2008, 11:21 PM
I find the best value kit is the Redz Pepperstick, I got it for my angels. Can get a 5 piece set for between 50-80 dollars. 14+16 inch tip, and 3 bore backs. I own just about every barrel, I go with old style Dye/AllAmerican barrels if I can, but when I need to change bores I use my CP barrel kit.

DJLilJon
03-26-2008, 05:45 PM

Sorry about the late response, I have a Titanium Longbow Kit that I bought from Mann, and it seemed to be the best barrel of all the ones that we tested, but the price is very steep. It does shoot a little better than the freak, which is what I had before the Titanium. Hope that helps.

Looper
03-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Sorry about the late response, I have a Titanium Longbow Kit that I bought from Mann, and it seemed to be the best barrel of all the ones that we tested, but the price is very steep. It does shoot a little better than the freak, which is what I had before the Titanium. Hope that helps.Late response... it looks like this is your first response... ;)

Thanks for chiming in... I did read the PBNation thread that Mann put up and I gathered that the Longbow was a good kit from that. After he tested all of those barrels it is his stated barrel of choice, and any one else that was involved with the project... ;)

I will admit that when I look down the barrel of the Freak and the Scepter insert kits it seams very touchy to get the insert centered perfectly in the barrel. It looks like it is always hugging one side or the other and would thus cause the Apex/flatline effect. I have found that rotating the insert, or carefully screwing the sections together in the case of the scepter, and I can get them fairly lined up but it seems very touchy. And if you use a longer barrel tip you almost certainly asking for trouble, more chance for the ball to bounce in the front section.

The above is only my opinion and my main reason for looking at the non insert two piece barrels and with all the hype in the PB world you can never do too much research.

I have been getting ready for a VMware user group presentation that I am giving in Boston tomorrow but I'm hoping in the next few days to get some pictures of my kits on line in the BST and pool some money for the cost of the TI Longbow.

Thanks for your input.
:cheers:

SR_matt
03-26-2008, 09:46 PM
ive shot a decent amount of kits on cockers and mags.

and frankly i cannot really come to a conclusion on weather or not longer backs are better or not, intact i think paint seems to be a bigger issue. when it comes to it consistent paint and a good barrel have given me great results. but for what kit is good (note i have not looked at kits for about 2 years and havent shot a kit for about that long except probably once).

evil pipe kit
-is pretty good
-pretty solid
-decent range of sizes

CCM CF kit
-quiet quiet quiet
-light
-but the backs are shot but for the most part i didnt notice any ill effects from it
-cannot use swabs

kramer kit (wgp)
-didnt use many sizes of it but the ones i did seemed ok
-nothing special

UL (dye)
-hard to find range of sizes
-my preferred barrel just from experience

Dye AL barrel (no longer made, hasnt been made is years)
-hard to find, probably next to if not impossible to find in multiple sizes
-with paint that fits its an awesome barrel

over all if i could get any kit in all sizes i would get gloss UL backs for my UL i have now. but the biggest issue i have is that paint has gotten much smaller since i started playing in 2001. i remember using a 689 or 691 normaly, rarely 693/5 and 686 and rarest of all the smallest size i owned. but in the last 2-3 years i have had to use the smallest size more and more frequently (maybe just the paint i have had access to) but even with small sizes i get roll outs on my close bolt guns.

not sure if this helps you though. to be cheap get what ever the smallest size you can, 686, 689, and then a large bore 693/695. if you want to build up start with a 688/689 and then buy the smaller ones then the large ones.

-matt

~edit~ looper, for that price that barrel better clean it self, self correct the size per ball and automatically drop out the balls that will break before they do. over all in paintball titanium is over kill IMHO

Looper
03-26-2008, 10:21 PM
~edit~ looper, for that price that barrel better clean it self, self correct the size per ball and automatically drop out the balls that will break before they do. over all in paintball titanium is over kill IMHOLOL :rofl: True... True...

But if I added up all the coin spent on the other kits I have it works out to about the same dollar. According to Mann's test it does do a decent job of self cleaning, not so much based on the TI factor but, from what he believes, how the front/backs are joined. They sell an Aluminum version that is much cheaper and I may go with that. The 2000 Scepter kit also did well on his self cleaning test but they change the design in 2004 and again 2007.

SR_matt
03-26-2008, 10:29 PM
ya, i mean ti may be a little better of cleaning because IIRC it smoothes out more than other metals (some times for good some times for bad). for knives its bad because it makes it very hard to sharpen and you have to keep the blade sharpened with a "toothy" edge to basically work like serrations at a microscopic level because making it to a mirror finnish the edge wont stay correctly (i forget all the specific exacts on it and im tired so ya).

but the other issue with it is that you cannot ano it in all the colors you can other metals because you use electricity to produce the color where as AL you use dyes so ya.

ok i need to get sleep im just rambling at this point, curse portfolio week
-matt

Looper
04-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Update
Sold all my other barrel kits, ordered the Ti Longbow, showed up last week, got a chance to practice with the my team tonight and all I can say is wow.... :wow:

shot a case and a half of last seasons paint that was crappy and dimpled; I figured heck this is practice lets get rid of this nasty stuff. I only had two or three barrel breaks and never once pulled out the swab... Within two shots of the break everything was back to normal as if nothing ever happened.

After the practice I tore down the marker and the barrel was as clean as when I put it on, even the front section, not a spec of paint to be found. And for accuracy, the old dimpled paint from last season, it was right on target with no crazy curve balls.

Just for the record a list of kit's I have had...
Stainless Steel Freak
Deadly Winds Fiber
2007 Powerlyte Scepter
Evil Pipe Kit
Custom Products .689 barrel

Nothing I listed above can compare to the performance that I saw tonight. Accuracy may be only as good as the person pulling the trigger but when you do not have to stop and clean a break... that just the icing on the cake.