PDA

View Full Version : Macroline Fitting Problem on my MiniTac Pro

Robocarullo
03-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Hello everyone,

I bought a MiniTac Pro last year from Rogue Factor and have recently upgraded to a macronline setup so I can run the airline through the foregrip. I ran into a problem with the fittings though, I bought some nice black swivel fittings from macrolineguy.com but they won't screw in all the way, is this normal or do you think it is a result of the threads on the marker being anodized, or bad fittings? Any advice would be appreciated.

michbich
03-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Describe how much it doesn't go in by. My fittings have 1/8" between the marker and the start of the hex.

Rudz
03-26-2008, 08:17 PM
You need a straight fitting for that gas thru, and look for one with an allen key hex on the inside, so you can use the allen key to tighten it up all the way

Pizzaluvr
03-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I think you'd need a 90º fitting for the grip. They don't screw in all the way on my guns either, it should be fine as long as you use thread tape.

Robocarullo
03-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks guys, I did put a 90 degree with a hex inner on the grip it was actually the two others that had me frustrated. I tightened them down as much as I could and they seem to be about 1/8" from going in all the way. I can't hear any leaks and everything seems to be working, now I just need to tune it up a bit :)

Thanks for the advice :cheers:

robnix
03-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I think you'd need a 90º fitting for the grip. They don't screw in all the way on my guns either, it should be fine as long as you use thread tape.

You don't need thread tape on the fittings that macrolineguy sells. They're teflon coated.

Hilltop Customs
03-26-2008, 11:04 PM
the threads on these types of fitting are NPT, they actually get thicker as you go from the tip of the fitting to the macro fitting end; this is to get the best seal possible. As a result of the threads being made this way they wont fully thread in like a normal screw.

If you want to get the fitting in more you can use less teflon tape(I only use 1 1/4 wrap , or if the fitting isnt sealing well 2 full wraps) Only other option other than retapping the hole or using a die on the fitting is to use a solid macro fitting without a swivel.

VTLO910
03-27-2008, 07:30 AM
I'm guessing he's just seeing metal colored threads...

Nothing a Black Sharpie couldn't fix... ;)

Robocarullo
03-27-2008, 08:03 AM
:D Interesting I didn't know about the NPT threads getting thicker thanks! Looks like for now a black sharpie it is :) I'll be posting some pics soon.

Robocarullo
03-27-2008, 08:11 AM
BTW, anybody know where I can get some black non swivel fittings? I can't seem to find any.

robnix
03-27-2008, 10:56 AM
BTW, anybody know where I can get some black non swivel fittings? I can't seem to find any.

http://macrolineguy.com/

Look for the "*NEW* Non-Swivel Colored Fittings" listing.

Robocarullo
03-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the link. I emailed him and he said that even if I were to use the new non swivels there would still be some threads showing. I was concerned at first because the stock fittings for the stainless hose went in all the way. If it really continues to bother me I'll just sharpie them in or maybe even use some shrink tubing.

FiXeL
03-27-2008, 06:37 PM
:D Interesting I didn't know about the NPT threads getting thicker thanks! Looks like for now a black sharpie it is :) I'll be posting some pics soon.

The male side of the threads (coupling) are cilindrical. The hole however is tapered. In fact, a coupling should not ever go in all at the end because the seal cannot be guaranteed. I tap these threads sometimes for work and i have to check them with a caliber that has two slots milled out at different depths. The caliber must go in beyond the first slot, but not farther than the second.

I also have those macrolineguy macro couplings, and its normal for them to thread not all the way in. Howfar a coupling will go in depends on tolerances. They will go deeper into "old" npt holes.

Hilltop Customs
03-28-2008, 12:41 AM
The male side of the threads (coupling) are cilindrical. The hole however is tapered. In fact, a coupling should not ever go in all at the end because the seal cannot be guaranteed. I tap these threads sometimes for work and i have to check them with a caliber that has two slots milled out at different depths. The caliber must go in beyond the first slot, but not farther than the second.

I also have those macrolineguy macro couplings, and its normal for them to thread not all the way in. Howfar a coupling will go in depends on tolerances. They will go deeper into "old" npt holes.

oh, i thought both the hole and the threads were tapered....my mistake