PDA

View Full Version : SUperbolt efficiency

Minimag4me
01-18-2002, 07:48 PM
since the superbolt shoots 30 or so fps more than the ss, does that mean it uses that much less pressure(at reg fps)? MOre shots per tank?

KamikazePenguin
01-18-2002, 07:59 PM
While most guns try to "go low pressure" by lowering the operating pressure and increasing the amount of time the valve stays open. This can sometimes use massive amounts of air.

Now, the reason going low pressure in a mag is so difficult, is because the valve is a fixed volume and the valve is always sealed off before the gun fires, thus the only way of adjusting velocity is pressure. With the superbolt you get an increase in FPS at the same pressure over an SS bolt. This means that it takes less pressure (at the same volume, because volume is always constant in mags) with the superbolt. Less pressure with the same volume=less air. Thus, the superbolt is noticably more efficient than an SS bolt, 30FPS is a decent gain in velocity. I'll have to check how many shots/tank i get now with my superbolt and report back.

In short, yes they're more efficient and allow you to run at a marginally lower pressure

Minimag4me
01-18-2002, 08:03 PM
another good superbolt selling point...

the 50 i spent is paying off

CFD323
01-18-2002, 08:27 PM
I don't know about the efficiency of the stock bolt in the Emags but I only get about 1200-1300 shots with my superbolt out of my 68 4500.

LaW
01-18-2002, 08:33 PM
only?!?!?! that's still pretty good man :)

HyperSnyper
01-19-2002, 02:49 AM
I thought that running the Mag at a lower operating pressure leads to shootdown. I first heard about it from asking opinins on the Smart Mag valve. I thought it was kewl since Low Presure was the "thing" at the time.

Everyone said it sucked. And it caused major shootdowns. It makes complete sense. You will hurt recharge, if you lower the operating pressure, to compensate you will have to enlargen the flow paths.

Lower pressure means slower flowing gasses which means slower recharge. Flow path is what will compensate. Until it is opened up, I guess lower pressure will cause problems.

But I guess in terms of only 30 psi drop, probably something we wont notice.

-Hyper

Minimag4me
01-19-2002, 06:54 PM
and it makes it 30 psi quieter

i think the enlarged air chamber caused shootdown, this is a lighter bolt. NOt sure though, maybe?