PDA

View Full Version : Was this a good buy?

mpsd
04-09-2008, 08:17 PM
I just won an F1 Illustrator auction on eBay for US$ 46.00. How good was this buy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300212734178

Thanks!

StygShore
04-10-2008, 07:52 AM
Good deal for an older gun - dont expect to find too much in the way of barrels and stuff out there for it though. I had a couple of those back in the early 90's - Even had the guy (been so long I forget his name now :( at Fastech build me one out of parts the day before he closed up shop and sent his parts inventory off to I&I I think it was.

My old roomate still has my original and he has alwasy refused to sell it back to me becasue it works so good. Used to pull abotu 400 shots off a 7 oz CO2 tank on mine!

I know 4 or 5 people that still own their original F-1's as well, but none of them play anymore.

Styg

Spider-TW
04-10-2008, 08:39 AM
I still have mine. :D

I could never get the velocity consistent on HPA. As always, it's real particular about the amount of lube on the hammer.

mpsd
04-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Good deal for an older gun - dont expect to find too much in the way of barrels and stuff out there for it though. I had a couple of those back in the early 90's - Even had the guy (been so long I forget his name now :( at Fastech build me one out of parts the day before he closed up shop and sent his parts inventory off to I&I I think it was.

My old roomate still has my original and he has alwasy refused to sell it back to me becasue it works so good. Used to pull abotu 400 shots off a 7 oz CO2 tank on mine!

I know 4 or 5 people that still own their original F-1's as well, but none of them play anymore.

Styg

I'm not really looking to upgrade it, only want to be capable of keep it running. My main concern are the o-rings and springs it may wear over time. I did find quite a good stuff regarding maintanance materials (o-rings list, manual etc) for it and I'll use it very little since I'm most over Mags than anything else. I've bought it mostly because I remember this gun as being super light and cool on it's time and I'm becoming a collector and real gun whore (I already have almost 20 guns, half of them being Mags of all types and the other half real old school ones - both semis and pumps). I have a small dream to own one of each of the early 90s main markers and I'm half way onto that objective. Here are the guns I still don't have but would like to:

Semis:
- PMI III / VM-68
- Old Cocker from early 90s

Pumps:
- Nelspot 007
- Sniper II (maybe a half-block too)
- PMI II/Pirana SB
- Any Palmer
- Line SI Bushmaster (had one at the time but sold it to get my first Mag a looooong time ago)
- SC Phantom, possibly with a Duckslide
- Carter

Yeah, that's a lot of guns, I know and that's why I'm going slow.

Anyway, comming back to the F1, is there any advide you guys can provide regarding maintenance and HPA use?

Thanks!

Spider-TW
04-10-2008, 09:31 AM
The original orings were all buna-n (black) and in common sizes. The next time I mess with mine I'm going to try an HNBR (green HVAC) oring on the hammer to see if it will be more consistent. I don't think I've replaced the cup seal once; I know I've had it out a few times.

The valve body hasn't been changed in the spyders etc., same cartridge with two orings. There's a roll pin that holds one side, so don't try to push it that direction. Don't mess with the ASA; it is soldered on (iirc) and the little gas tube can spring a leak. You should be able to find a new grip for it if you want the door.

The mag safety detent is a similar size and might work if you could find a new safety button. You'll need a 'bolt extraction' tool if you don't have one. I think it's a #6 screw with a handle. Let me know if you don't have it and I will get mine out.

zondo
04-10-2008, 09:35 AM
I'm not really looking to upgrade it, only want to be capable of keep it running. My main concern are the o-rings and springs it may wear over time. I did find quite a good stuff regarding maintanance materials (o-rings list, manual etc) for it and I'll use it very little since I'm most over Mags than anything else. I've bought it mostly because I remember this gun as being super light and cool on it's time and I'm becoming a collector and real gun whore (I already have almost 20 guns, half of them being Mags of all types and the other half real old school ones - both semis and pumps). I have a small dream to own one of each of the early 90s main markers and I'm half way onto that objective. Here are the guns I still don't have but would like to:

Semis:
- PMI III / VM-68
- Old Cocker from early 90s

Pumps:
- Nelspot 007
- Sniper II (maybe a half-block too)
- PMI II/Pirana SB
- Any Palmer
- Line SI Bushmaster (had one at the time but sold it to get my first Mag a looooong time ago)
- SC Phantom, possibly with a Duckslide
- Carter

Yeah, that's a lot of guns, I know and that's why I'm going slow.

Anyway, comming back to the F1, is there any advide you guys can provide regarding maintenance and HPA use?

Thanks!
If I were trying to do that, my wife would freak out. You remember the video of the steam roller running over the assault rifles? :rofl:

Good luck with your developing museum! :cheers: