PDA

View Full Version : Air America Adjustable

EclipseClassic
04-13-2008, 12:55 AM
Air America Raptor Rex. Good buy for $50 + shipping? Anybody used these regs before?

http://images.marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/hi/55/54922/yz2070a.jpg

I have an old Max Flo Adj but its only 3000psi and out of date, looking to upgrade. Any advice or info would be great. I need that RT to cycle, will this get me my 18+bps?

csallen039
04-13-2008, 05:41 AM
I have an raptor (not rex) regulator that works if you want to buy it. I ended up swaping regulators on my tank. It will work with your 3000psi tank. It worked great with my classic RT. You can adjust its input pressure 1000+ psi. Pm me and I'll send you some pics.

grEnAlEins
04-13-2008, 09:51 AM
It is a VERY good buy IMO. AA tanks and regs are awesome.

angrysasquatch
04-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Yep, my AA Armageddon runs my wallet dry pretty nicely :D It starts being reactive around 850 or so psi, and I've had it way higher than that (1200 or so, unfortunately the gauge ends at 1000 psi)

04-13-2008, 02:02 PM
The Rex Raptor is 200-1000 psi output, so thats good for an RT
but it doesnt have an on/off, although you an get an inline on/off from Palmers

EclipseClassic
04-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Well it was such a good deal I bought two!

My Classic should appreciate some decent PSI as well.

I got 2 regs, 2reg locks, & 2 benchmark drops and cradles, and the hardware for 118 shipped.

If any one else needs on one they have 5 more.

csallen039
04-13-2008, 06:21 PM
I've seen a bunch of the raptor rex packages go for around $25 on ebay.

grEnAlEins
04-13-2008, 06:26 PM
I've seen a bunch of the raptor rex packages go for around $25 on ebay.
No kiddin? I might have to look into picking one up...

csallen039
04-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Yea. I've been keeping an eye out for them to use as spare parts just in case I needed them. Right now there is one going for 5.99 in 13hrs and a buy it now for only 14.99.

ManInBlack
04-13-2008, 08:36 PM
Yeah, definitly look on ebay, much cheaper than $50.

Are these rebuildable? I got one recently and blew out the fill nipple o-ring when we tried to gas it up.

phatty123
04-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Yes they are rebuildable. Very easy too,

barry

csallen039
04-13-2008, 09:11 PM
if you blew the fill nipple o-ring, just buy an new fill nipple or just buy an new o-ring for it. It cost me $1 at my field for a new o-ring.

ManInBlack
04-14-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm really sorry to jack this thread, but where can I get a rebuild kit for this thing? The Air America website didn't open for me. Something inside definitely blew in addition to the fill nipple o-ring.

EclipseClassic
04-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Yea. I've been keeping an eye out for them to use as spare parts just in case I needed them. Right now there is one going for 5.99 in 13hrs and a buy it now for only 14.99.

Yeah you can find cheaper ones, but they are used. Not only are they used but they don't come with a drop and a cradle. I'd rather buy a new one than go through the hassle of rebuilding a scratched up unit.

Brand new in box for $50 with a drop and cradle.

Spider-TW
04-15-2008, 12:50 PM
And stainless too!

** They have one less (without the cradle) now. :D

I service the reg on my remote bottle. Next time the maxflo screws up at an event, I have a solid back up. I like stainless...

acropilot19
04-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Why does it have two fill nipples?
:confused:

Spider-TW
04-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Why does it have two fill nipples?
:confused:
One should be the outlet. These used to go on 88 and 114 cu in bottles and the whole thing is better as a remote generally. It gives you a QD for your remote hose. That nipple will be the first thing to come off of mine.

FallibleFlyer
04-16-2008, 05:11 PM
I bought one from that same company for about $15 after shipping.

Shane-O-Mac
04-16-2008, 06:49 PM
Guys keep in mind, that using a reg seat out of another AA reg, will not perform as well as it should. The seats are torqued between the reg halves and actually compress the seat into the proper shape. Once removed things are not like they should be. If your reg isnt creeping, do not take the body halves apart. And Raptors require a special way to degass the whole system, do not just turn the adjuster out all the way, it will nick the piston o-ring and leak. Turn your adjuster out 2 turns, bleed some air or shoot the gun, repeat until your at zero.

Spider-TW
04-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Guys keep in mind, that using a reg seat out of another AA reg, will not perform as well as it should. The seats are torqued between the reg halves and actually compress the seat into the proper shape. Once removed things are not like they should be. If your reg isnt creeping, do not take the body halves apart. And Raptors require a special way to degass the whole system, do not just turn the adjuster out all the way, it will nick the piston o-ring and leak. Turn your adjuster out 2 turns, bleed some air or shoot the gun, repeat until your at zero.
Thanks! Seen a manual anywhere? I know AA made some mag regs and the raptor looks a lot like the mag reg, but I was hoping to find something like a diagram or manual somewhere.

Shane-O-Mac
04-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks! Seen a manual anywhere? I know AA made some mag regs and the raptor looks a lot like the mag reg, but I was hoping to find something like a diagram or manual somewhere.

AA never made any Mag regs. For the Raptor, Raptor Rex, Uni-reg, Black Ice, Apocalypse and Violator, follow a Mag regs break down schematic. But do not use Mag seats on primary air systems, and if you use a Mag seat on a secondary reg, use the seat AND Mag reg pin, or else it wont be consistent at all.

csallen039
04-17-2008, 07:40 AM
Links to manuals that I found for AA products:

Raptor:
http://www.ultratwistedpaintball.biz/mm5/manuals/airamericaraptormanual.pdf

Apocalypse:
http://www.ultratwistedpaintball.biz/mm5/manuals/airamericaapocalypsemanual.pdf

Armageddon:
http://www.ultratwistedpaintball.biz/mm5/manuals/airamericaarmageddonmanual.pdf

List of all other manuals:
http://www.ultratwistedpaintball.biz/page/MANUALS.html

Spider-TW
04-17-2008, 08:11 AM
Outstanding. Thank you csallen039. I thought they should be somewhere, but I couldn't find them in the search engines.

AA never made any Mag regs.

Ah, I had to check what I was looking at. I would not be surprised if someone managed to fit an AA back on a mag. Now I see that this was just an ebay keyword play.

Air America automag (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170211181506)

Shane-O-Mac
04-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Ah, I had to check what I was looking at. I would not be surprised if someone managed to fit an AA back on a mag. Now I see that this was just an ebay keyword play.

Air America automag (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170211181506)

Many AA secondary regs (Uni reg, Violator, Black Ice) can have the piston housing put on a mag air valve, but you can have issues with the piston housing rotating while firing from vibration.

arzosah
04-30-2008, 01:27 PM
One should be the outlet. These used to go on 88 and 114 cu in bottles and the whole thing is better as a remote generally. It gives you a QD for your remote hose. That nipple will be the first thing to come off of mine.

so if im running remote i need to buy another quick disconect and take off my bottle adapter to run it remote? i just bought 2 of these for 42 bucks shipped to put on my new mag, waiting on shipping and trying to forsee any problems ill have setting it up.

Spider-TW
04-30-2008, 01:58 PM
so if im running remote i need to buy another quick disconect and take off my bottle adapter to run it remote? i just bought 2 of these for 42 bucks shipped to put on my new mag, waiting on shipping and trying to forsee any problems ill have setting it up.
I keep my hose screwed directly into the reg. It is a little inconvenient to carry around, but it keeps air station helpers from connecting 4500psi to the outlet side of the reg, where something has to give. I thought I could keep it from happening, but I let my guard down once and it put me out of the game and cost me a rebuild.

You can get an ASA to QD plug for a remote (action village or firstcall). I have an old one piece rail/QD thing. I few guys run their hose straight to a QD and elbow on the valve. Or get a gas thru shoulder stock. Or go to a gas thru front grip.

It's all just plumbing between the bottle and valve regs.

arzosah
05-01-2008, 12:10 AM
i have a gas through foregrip with a little elbow and a quick disconect so that my remote hose plugs basicaly right into the gas through. im just worried about the reg because it says it needs a cradle and i dont realy know what a cradel is lol ( i have an idea... its to suport the weight of the tank right? ) just wondering if i will need some kind of adapter to hook my remote to the raptor/rex or if my bottle adapter will screw right on.

phatty123
05-01-2008, 01:53 AM
I would recommend a proconnect since raptor regs have no on/off. Besides the hassle of no/on off I loved my raptor reg and it had a good recharge rate. I am a fan of old school stainless anyway. Eventually I tracked down 2 stainless steel AA apocalypse regs. Thats what I use to this day. Its like a raptor but with a gauges and an on/off.

-barry

Shane-O-Mac
05-01-2008, 02:53 AM
i have a gas through foregrip with a little elbow and a quick disconect so that my remote hose plugs basicaly right into the gas through. im just worried about the reg because it says it needs a cradle and i dont realy know what a cradel is lol ( i have an idea... its to suport the weight of the tank right? ) just wondering if i will need some kind of adapter to hook my remote to the raptor/rex or if my bottle adapter will screw right on.

Your remote line will connect into the regs output side. Your bottle adaptor will not work. They are talking about cradles to mount the tank on your gun, if you look at the first post, you will see the picture of the reg and cradle. you do not need a cradle if your going to use this system with a remote. You will want to put a slide check or other on/off on your remote line somewhere, or you will not be able to disconnect your remote line from the gun or regulator.

shives007
05-01-2008, 05:25 AM
Everyone want a good laugh. I just looked for a Pro-Connect. pbn5.com is selling them for $1000.00. Yes, that number of zeros is correct. I hope there is an error somewhere.

Shives

I would recommend a proconnect since raptor regs have no on/off. Besides the hassle of no/on off I loved my raptor reg and it had a good recharge rate. I am a fan of old school stainless anyway. Eventually I tracked down 2 stainless steel AA apocalypse regs. Thats what I use to this day. Its like a raptor but with a gauges and an on/off.

-barry

Spider-TW
05-01-2008, 08:05 AM
Your remote line will connect into the regs output side. Your bottle adaptor will not work. They are talking about cradles to mount the tank on your gun, if you look at the first post, you will see the picture of the reg and cradle. you do not need a cradle if your going to use this system with a remote. You will want to put a slide check or other on/off on your remote line somewhere, or you will not be able to disconnect your remote line from the gun or regulator.
Some people have used the reg adjustment as an on/off. I don't know how well that works, but I bet that's why I have seen AA reg adjustment screws for sale separately. When you back them all the way out there's nothing to keep them in. :rolleyes:

Braxo
05-01-2008, 09:08 AM
I should be receiving my RT Custom ULE today, I ordered it from AGD last Friday. So far I've purchased everything I need except for an air system.

I was shopping around for an adjustable system so I could play around with the RT if I wanted. This AA raptor rex seems to be the best answer yet!

How would I set this up on my marker?

Obviously I'll need a tank. Can I screw this reg onto the tank myself? Or does it need to go to an airsmith? Are all tank threading the same? Or do I need a specific brand? I'm looking at the 68/4500 size.

Also, I would need macro-lines correct? I can just plug the macro line from the output of this reg and loop it around the input of the valve? Do I need a gas through stock at all?

I'm just getting back into pb and have only owned Tippmann's before, so any help from you guys would be appreciated!

Braxo

Spider-TW
05-01-2008, 10:15 AM
How would I set this up on my marker?
If you are not going to run a remote, you will need the cradle. Since AA is out of business, you should get the reg/cradle package and don't depend on finding one separately unless you already know where one is.

Obviously I'll need a tank. Can I screw this reg onto the tank myself? Or does it need to go to an airsmith? Are all tank threading the same? Or do I need a specific brand? I'm looking at the 68/4500 size.
All US tanks are the one 5/8"-18 threaded port. You can put it on yourself, especially since it is not an ASA-screw-in type reg and it would require a some 'special' thought and effort to unscrew the reg with any pressure on it. Check out the many threads on lube (not) and loctite on regs. If you're not sure, get an airsmith. I have not found a safety bleed off in the neck of the AA Raptor Rex, which you find on the max-flo.

Also, I would need macro-lines correct? I can just plug the macro line from the output of this reg and loop it around the input of the valve? Do I need a gas through stock at all? Other than needing an on/off with this reg, the plumbing is standard between the bottle and the valve. It needs to be rated for the 1000 psi or so you will be running. Add all you want or run straight to the valve.

:cheers:

arzosah
05-01-2008, 12:02 PM
so as soon as you gas it up there is nothing preventing it from venting if you dont have some manner of aftermarket on off or a remote hose permenantly attached?

Spider-TW
05-01-2008, 08:41 PM
so as soon as you gas it up there is nothing preventing it from venting if you dont have some manner of aftermarket on off or a remote hose permenantly attached?
If the adjustment knob is not backed all the way out, yes it will flow if it is not connected to something (on/off, marker, etc.)

Shane-O-Mac
05-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Some people have used the reg adjustment as an on/off. I don't know how well that works, but I bet that's why I have seen AA reg adjustment screws for sale separately. When you back them all the way out there's nothing to keep them in. :rolleyes:

Read this quote from my post above, turning off the reg by that method is NOT recomended.

Raptors require a special way to degass the whole system, do not just turn the adjuster out all the way, it will nick the piston o-ring and leak. Turn your adjuster out 2 turns, bleed some air or shoot the gun, repeat until your at zero.

And trying to do that with it connected to your remote line and in a harness will be hard to do.
Then turning your reg back "On" you will not know exactly where to adjust it to for the same pressure, as that reg has no output gauge.....................

All US tanks are the one 5/8"-18 threaded port. You can put it on yourself, especially since it is not an ASA-screw-in type reg and it would require a some 'special' thought and effort to unscrew the reg with any pressure on it. Check out the many threads on lube (not) and loctite on regs. If you're not sure, get an airsmith. I have not found a safety bleed off in the neck of the AA Raptor Rex, which you find on the max-flo.

Not true, there were a few tanks made for Nitro Duck and ACI that had larger threading, dont mislead someone into buying a used tank that may not have the right threads :rolleyes:

Spider-TW
05-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Read this quote from my post above, turning off the reg by that method is NOT recomended.

I didn't recommend it, but did say it is done. That is a good point in that turning an adjustable reg that far down requires you to let the outlet pressure off as you go. The maxflo looks like it should do this by itself, but it doesn't like to. I've heard of several people using the cap on the maxflo because its on/off cuts the oring so easily and it no longer has a usable on/off. I know the maxflo is a different design though. When I say back the adjustment all the way out, I am saying adjust it to zero output, not to let it back out into the threads.

Not true, there were a few tanks made for Nitro Duck and ACI that had larger threading, dont mislead someone into buying a used tank that may not have the right threads :rolleyes:Pardon, I hadn't seen the other sizes on paintball tanks lately, and I can only say for sure that Carleton paintball tanks are all 5/8"-18. You are certainly correct in that any tank that doesn't have the 5/8" port on it is probably more likely to be sold as used since the regs are less common as well.

**edit**

Shane, didn't you rep AA? What kind of setups would you recommend for a Raptor Rex on the marker and on a remote.

For my X valve, I adjust it according to feel, and have a check valve at the marker.

Thanks Shane.

:cheers: