PDA

View Full Version : Restarting an old classic

PJS
04-14-2008, 05:05 AM
Hello guys

I have an old (+-10years) Automag 68 Classic. I run it off Co2(remote) and have had problems with it since I got it that the trigger sometimes freazes up(just doesnt want to recharge). I always used 3in1 oil and had random freez-up. For a month or two I used silicone spray and things seemed to be better. I was then advised not to use silicone and went back to thicker oil, and my problems started again. So what lubricant should I use?

ManInBlack
04-14-2008, 09:07 AM
I've never had any troble using Gold Cup oil, give that a try. You might also want to get a rebuild kit. They're only $15-$20.

Spider-TW
04-14-2008, 09:48 AM
I've never had any troble using Gold Cup oil, give that a try. You might also want to get a rebuild kit. They're only $15-$20.
No synthetic oil should do any harm, but some are not very slick. If it hasn't had new seals, here's a second for a rebuild kit.

When seals get old they get hard and don't necessarily leak. Different oils will cause them to set up faster or tougher than others, but 10 years is well beyond 'fresh'.

The on/off, reg piston and power tube orings can start grabbing. When you go to replace them, you'll disturb the other orings and reg seat, so replacing everything will keep you on the field best.

athomas
04-14-2008, 04:34 PM
An older valve could definately use some new orings. You can get some good quality synthetic oil at many places. Get a good quality synthetic light air took oil. Also, the gold cup oil is a proven performer in paintball guns.

questionful
04-14-2008, 06:09 PM
If, when the trigger "freezes up", you push on the bolt's face with something, does the trigger return (should be a click)?
Are you using a powertube spring, or spacers?

athomas
04-14-2008, 08:08 PM
One thing you'll want to do is change your bolt spring they get weak and will cause the symptoms you are describing.

ManInBlack
04-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Bolt springs come with the rebuild kit, right? One more reason to get it :)

Spider-TW
04-15-2008, 07:28 AM
Bolt springs come with the rebuild kit, right? One more reason to get it :)
It's in there. I was wondering the other day if it the same as the gold spring in the Level 10 kit. I could probably read the lvl 10 instructions and find out. :rolleyes:

PJS
04-23-2008, 01:34 AM
Sorry for only replying now, work sux! OK, so I need a whole kit for my baby. Where do I get one, remember that I need to import to South Africa.

SOAD8789
04-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Sorry for only replying now, work sux! OK, so I need a whole kit for my baby. Where do I get one, remember that I need to import to South Africa.

http://www.tunamart.com/
or
http://store.airgundesignsusa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=7&categoryID=92

not sure if tuna ships outside of the US, you should probably email him to make sure.

BigTrucker
04-25-2008, 07:30 PM
I have a question on top of this one. How offten shoud the piston, spring pack and regulator valve pin be replaced??

Spider-TW
04-25-2008, 09:23 PM
I have a question on top of this one. How offten shoud the piston, spring pack and regulator valve pin be replaced??
Never, if your spring pack is tight enough to work with HPA (and that's what you want).

You will need to replace the piston oring sometime. The velocity will get wild or you will get a leak out of the back of the reg. Clean and grease the spring pack if it gets wet or dirty.

athomas
04-26-2008, 10:02 AM
I have a question on top of this one. How offten shoud the piston, spring pack and regulator valve pin be replaced??The only reason the piston needs replaced is because the level 10 operates at a higher pressure than the level 7. The original piston was designed to vent excess pressure as a safety feature. It just happens that the level 10 operates near the safety release pressure and so just a little bit of weakening due to age causes the piston to do its job at normal level 10 operating pressures.

The spring pack and valve pin should never have to be replaced unless damaged by improper installation or removal or some other freak incident.