PDA

View Full Version : What's the CF stand for? Also, ever replace a sear?

aqua_scummm
04-16-2008, 01:47 AM
So what's the CF in all the classic valve serial numbers I've owned stand for?

Another random question: Have you ever had to replace your mags sear or bolt? Hyperframe users excluded?

How many cases of paint, or other measure of wear, did you go through before replacing the sear?

Just kinda curious.

grEnAlEins
04-16-2008, 09:33 AM
I have never needed to replace either part. I have had one mag for 6+ years now and it shoots like a champ. It just needs a drop of oil once in a while.

I do not recall what the CF stands for. I used to think it stood for Center Feed, back when the center feed and no rise bodies were hot. I am not sure that that is the case though.

sithos
04-16-2008, 12:39 PM
CF = centerfeed. when such a thing was new and special.
I miss my black teflon CF minimag. That thing never let me down.
I still believe the height of the feedneck was tom's way of *****slapping anyone who didn't own a warp feed.

Tom: "What, you don't want a warp feed? Fine then. Enjoy your 8 inch tall feedneck!"

aqua_scummm
04-16-2008, 12:55 PM
my powerfeed mag has a CF serial, as did my straight right feed. My field rental valve was either CF or CN I believe...

And I've never had to replace the sear or bolt either, but I used to buy/sell new mags somewhat often. I now have one I know I won't sell, and don't expect to have to replace it any time soon, but am kinda curious when I should have to replace it...

Stayhuge
04-16-2008, 01:28 PM
I still believe the height of the feedneck was tom's way of *****slapping anyone who didn't own a warp feed.

Tom: "What, you don't want a warp feed? Fine then. Enjoy your 8 inch tall feedneck!"

I was under the impression that the tall feedneck was pre-electronic hopper days. It was a way for the balls to feed easier. There would be 4-5 already lined up. Then if there was a jam, it would most likely unjam after a few shots, which were lined up in the long feedneck. Not a bad idea, except that the hopper sitting a foot high, was a pretty big target, LOL

aqua_scummm
04-16-2008, 01:40 PM
I was under the impression that the tall feedneck was pre-electronic hopper days. It was a way for the balls to feed easier. There would be 4-5 already lined up. Then if there was a jam, it would most likely unjam after a few shots, which were lined up in the long feedneck. Not a bad idea, except that the hopper sitting a foot high, was a pretty big target, LOL
Yeah, a large ballsack, excuse me, ballstack definitely helps with gravity feed, and even when electronic loaders did show up, a large ball stack is nice with an agitated hopper, because even they could slow down or skip a ball.

warbeak2099
04-16-2008, 05:40 PM
It stands for "Centerfire" to signify that you have a Centerfire back half.

aqua_scummm
04-16-2008, 06:41 PM
It stands for "Centerfire" to signify that you have a Centerfire back half.
What would have been the alternative, out of curiosity?

warbeak2099
04-16-2008, 07:13 PM
There are also valves with the "8-hole" mod. They send air from the AIR to the front half of the valve through venturi-like ports instead of a central hole.

questionful
04-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Here's a list of things you can pretend and tell people it means if you don't find a sure answer:
Corporate Ferret
Cannibalistic Flamingo
Corn Flour
Colonel Fantastic
Chewy Friend
Cool Fountain
Cannon Fodder
Croatian Femme
Cow Flipping (not to be confused with tipping; Flipping much cooler)
Carnivorous Flower
Corroded Ferrum
Cube Farm
Champagne Français
Colossal Fart
Can Finish this list later, gotta go eat!

aqua_scummm
04-16-2008, 07:46 PM
There are also valves with the "8-hole" mod. They send air from the AIR to the front half of the valve through venturi-like ports instead of a central hole.
Wasn't that because the two holes (one on each half) that AREN'T the center hole didn't line up???

Dunno, thought ALL mags sent air from the front to the back through the center, and from the back to the front after regulation through the side hole...

warbeak2099
04-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Wasn't that because the two holes (one on each half) that AREN'T the center hole didn't line up???

Dunno, thought ALL mags sent air from the front to the back through the center, and from the back to the front after regulation through the side hole...

I may be mistaken about that, but I do know that the CF stands for Centerfire.

questionful
04-16-2008, 08:04 PM
I may be mistaken about that, but I do know that the CF stands for Centerfire.
How do you know that?

And yeah, regulated air does not flow through the center. And it doesn't matter if the holes don't line up, there's a space for the air to flow, and AGD said the 6/8 hole mod doesn't do anything. Don't remember where I read that, though.

dave p
04-16-2008, 08:05 PM
i think it stands for the ones that started coming with the carbon fiber grip frames, before that the grip was aluminum and made by wgp if im not mistaken

aqua_scummm
04-16-2008, 08:08 PM
maybe I'll just call AGD tomorrow

AGD
04-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Well sorry to disappoint you all but it doesn't mean anything. We figured that we might want to identify new models with different letters so we could start numbering them from 1 again. We just made up CF as place holders.

AGD

grEnAlEins
04-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Well sorry to disappoint you all but it doesn't mean anything. We figured that we might want to identify new models with different letters so we could start numbering them from 1 again. We just made up CF as place holders.

AGD
:spit_take :rofl:
I have no idea why, but I laughed hard at that.

aqua_scummm
04-17-2008, 03:47 AM
I refuse to believe it, whoever suggested those letters had something that made them think of it, whether or not it had anything to do with mags. Maybe a former lovers initials, maybe part of a super secret code...

At least I'd rather be able to retell a better story when someone asks me what it means...

maniacmechanic
04-17-2008, 04:48 AM

AGD

Looks like we are all wrong , but then I didn't guess