PDA

View Full Version : Cool pic my buddy took today, is camera is crazy

devildog
04-16-2008, 07:31 PM
This a pic we shot of my car today. Sun was setting and came off the paint really cool. This is taken with some kind of hi-def mode (i dont know anything about cameras). He just emailed it to me

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff115/gainman/m3/M3FrontHDR.jpg

Hexis
04-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Do you mean HDR?

kruger
04-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Great Pic!! Looks almost Photo Shopped.

Ninjeff
04-16-2008, 07:53 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :wow:

I love your car. Screw the pic (its an awesome pic) i just love the car!

Madmarx
04-16-2008, 07:56 PM
makes it look like black chrome! sick

devildog
04-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Hexis- I think HDR sounds right. Ill ask him for more details, I dont know the first thing about picture technology.

madmarx- the color of the car is jet black, very deep black. It is reflecting the blue sky and sun from above on the top of the car, and the darkness of the road on the front of the car. I love how the effect came out.

Hexis
04-16-2008, 08:21 PM
It looks like HDR to me (and both a great photo and car). HDR is a technique where you compress the normal color range into a smaller space, making the photo represent a higher dynamic range (HDR). It's a cool technique, and as shown in the example above can have stunning results.

lazebum
04-16-2008, 09:06 PM
Very clean man!! I used to have a 95M3 in white but i sold it when i had a kid cause when i was single i took the back seats out and put a cage in, then my dumbass sold the seats and interior :rolleyes: . I loved that car. The rear camber angle always used to eat tires but it was a fun driving experience!! Whaat body kit do you have if any(the front bumber and spoiler do not look stock, but i could be mistaken) And the color is Wonderful!!! Have fun with the car and keep it clean

Twistedpsyche
04-16-2008, 09:27 PM
I've seen some photos done in that style that just don't come out well at all.
But THIS is a different story, very hot!!!

babyface
04-16-2008, 10:28 PM
almost looks like the liquid metal guy in terminator 3. great pic

Empyreal Rogue
04-16-2008, 10:35 PM
What camera does he use? I've been thinking of upgrading from my manual SLR. Not that there's anything wrong with my manual SLR, for more professional photos I'd like to have a digital SLR and hang onto my manual for hobby photography.

Remington
04-17-2008, 08:58 AM
"BMW . . . One with the road."

;)

jenarelJAM
04-17-2008, 02:18 PM
almost looks like the liquid metal guy in terminator 2. great pic

Fixed.

devildog
04-17-2008, 05:11 PM
im not sure on the camera he used, i sent him an email asking him, but i have not gotten a reply yet.

Hexis
04-17-2008, 06:07 PM
He took it with a Nikon D40X on 4/16 at 17:43:29 @f14, 38mm, ISO 100, no shutter speed is listed.

devildog
04-17-2008, 06:26 PM
:eek:

are you the devil?

drg
04-17-2008, 06:36 PM
The background is a bit overprocessed but it doesn't detract much from the picture as a whole. Very nice!

Hexis
04-17-2008, 07:26 PM
:eek:

are you the devil?

Perhaps. Regardless, there is a lot of meta-info included in digital images.

devildog
04-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Perhaps. Regardless, there is a lot of meta-info included in digital images.

That was so far over my head, I actually ducked when you threw it at me.

Empyreal Rogue
04-17-2008, 09:10 PM
He took it with a Nikon D40X on 4/16 at 17:43:29 @f14, 38mm, ISO 100, no shutter speed is listed.

Thanks Hex.

And I wouldn't expect anything less from a Nikon. My Manual SLR is made by Nikon and even though its technology is quite outdated today (This camera was considered top of the line in the 70's and 80's) it still has amazing picture quality. That's why I still use it today for my photography projects.

Hexis
04-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks Hex.

And I wouldn't expect anything less from a Nikon. My Manual SLR is made by Nikon and even though its technology is quite outdated today (This camera was considered top of the line in the 70's and 80's) it still has amazing picture quality. That's why I still use it today for my photography projects.

If you have some nice F mount glass, your brand decision is made for you. The D40X is actually one of the lower end cameras in Nikon's lineup. At that resolution you can't really make a real judgment about image quality. I think people are just used to seeing camera phone and compact point and shoot snapshots on the web. Any decent DSLR will have significanly better image quality than either. These days the IQ is almost directly associated with they physical size of the sensor. The "full frame" or 24x36mm sensors being the top of the line for 35mm format gear. Nikon has the D3, Canon has the 5D and 1Ds (multiple versions), all three put out stunning results.

Empyreal Rogue
04-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Didn't Nikon just put out a D60 and D60x, also? I think I noticed that when I was checking out their website.

I can't really say I'm use to camera phone quality photos as I do dabble in real photography, especially here at my college (While it's actually a university, it has one of the top art departments in the nation). Even in high school I did a lot of, what my teacher called, "professional grade" photography. It's a hobby I take very seriously. I've always used my manual Nikon SLR, I guess I just grew up with this company so that's why I sort of stick to it. Luckily it's a very reputable company.

But honestly I don't know too much about the realm of digital photography outside of the Nikon Coolpix my parents got me for christmas. While the D3 looks nice, I don't need something professional. Just something I can use when I want and still take very high quality digital photographs. A compact camera is sufficient for now, but I prefer the possibilities and feel of a SLR camera. Maybe it's just my expensive taste speaking, but when it comes to hobbies I take seriously I would have nothing less than what I deem the best or most qualified, if that makes any sense. heh

It seems you have a little knowledge in the realm of cameras, Hex. What do you use? Do you have any affordable recommendations?

Hexis
04-18-2008, 08:49 AM
I own a Canon EOS 5D. But I'm a part time professional.

I like the Canon line up a bit more than the Nikon lineup. There are some minor differences that I think add up to better image quality across the Canon lineup. The main thing is that Canon uses CMOS sensors on every DSLR. Nikon only has a CMOS sensor on the D3.

In reality both Nikon and Canon have great a great series of offerings at all levels of DSLR. They are also the only two brands that have a complete lineup. The differences are minor. And since Nikon came out with the D3 I have a lot more love for Nikon. For the longest time they said they were not planning on ever making a full frame sensor camera. For that reason alone I switched to Canon for my digital needs (I only had a small collection of Nikkor glass). Now that there is a full frame Nikon, I'm sure there will be another one in a more affordable offering, so that bodes well for the future.

Affordable is a word that means different things to different people. I'm going to make some assumptions and guess you are looking for a consumer/prosumer model. If you have Nikkor glass, I would recommend sticking with Nikon since you have glass. If you don't have any glass worth worrying about, perhaps you should take a look at Canon. That's up to you. All of the cropped sensor models will have similar image quality, regardless of resolution (assuming current models). Ignore the megapixel number and buy based on price and feature set you want. As you get into the higher priced models you will get better/faster autofocusing, faster frame rate and other features.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

neppo1345
04-18-2008, 01:14 PM
I think I'm going to have to play with this feature in CS2......

Just gotta get out and take some shots to use.

SCpoloRicker
04-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Man, I love E46 M3s. :)