PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Recommendations

spwz99
04-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Hey AO, I just "inherited" a Dell desktop from my grandpa, but it is the tower only. I have to provide monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I like Logitech, so I will probably go that route for the inputs, but I need some help with the monitor.

The last computer I bought was my laptop (4 years ago) and flat panel monitors have come a long way since then. Basically, I understand the meanings of all the specs (contrast ratio, refresh rate and the like) but I don't know what is a good benchmark for any of them.

What baseline numbers should I be looking for? Any help would be appreciated.

p.s. I am frugal, but when it comes to electronics I will only buy quality. I really want the best bang for my buck.

Thanks guys.

*edit* I will be doing some gaming, some movie watching, and I'm an engineering student, so I will also be doing some CAD type work on the machine eventually, so I need a quality screen.

tribalman
04-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Hey AO, I just "inherited" a Dell desktop from my grandpa, but it is the tower only. I have to provide monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I like Logitech, so I will probably go that route for the inputs, but I need some help with the monitor.

The last computer I bought was my laptop (4 years ago) and flat panel monitors have come a long way since then. Basically, I understand the meanings of all the specs (contrast ratio, refresh rate and the like) but I don't know what is a good benchmark for any of them.

What baseline numbers should I be looking for? Any help would be appreciated.

p.s. I am frugal, but when it comes to electronics I will only buy quality. I really want the best bang for my buck.

Thanks guys.

*edit* I will be doing some gaming, some movie watching, and I'm an engineering student, so I will also be doing some CAD type work on the machine eventually, so I need a quality screen.

yeah, for the keyboard and mouse find what you like. i personally really enjoy the microsoft digial media pro keyboard and the razer diamondback for the mouse. for the monitor, dells are very good. here is a recent review on bit-tech.net http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/04/15/nec_accusync_lcd24wmcx_24in_widescreen_lcd/1

on the bottom of the page are links to other monitors that they've reviewed. btw, i find them to not be like other reviewers(mainly game reviewers) in that if a product is of poor quality the overall score drops. i've seen them give 5's or less to some items. i trust their review.

jenarelJAM
04-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Search newegg.com

Good prices, and I've found that there are actually a lot of customers who post reviews of the products after buying them. You can also search by price, resolution, brand, refresh rate, or any other characteristic of monitors that you're looking for.

I don't know what your price range is, but I recently bought my dad a 24" Dell monitor for ~$600-650 that is nothing short of stunning, and he bought himself a second 24" monitor for ~$400 that is also extremely nice. These are 1920x1200 pixel lcd widescreens with good viewing angles. The more expensive one had better color depth and a bunch of nice features (built in card-reader, usb ports, can be rotated moved up and down and angled easily, etc.).

If you're looking for cheaper, I think 21" monitors can be found in the $200 price range, and below that it only gets even cheaper.

pmstc
04-17-2008, 02:48 PM
I got a samsung 22" for a little over $300 that is amazing. But I think you can find 20" which is a good size (get widescreen) for around $200.
Samsung is definitely a good brand.
I have a friend with an Acer 22" and it's pretty damn good for the price.

$180 19"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009091

$200 20"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009108

$230 22"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009094

19"s is probably the most practical, I don't know if I'd get one smaller than that, but I do enjoy the extra space my 22" gives me. Moves and games look great on it. This is the model I have (actually I think it's the newer version):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001268

It's been good to me for a year now. Well worth the money :D

p.s. I think Acer is considered a 'cheapo' brand, but I have never had problems with them. I ordered an Acer laptop at the same time as my Samsung LCD and I've been using it a year for school and I havent had any problems with it (or the screen on it)
Plus all those screens got really good reviews

PyRo
04-17-2008, 06:20 PM
I bought a 20" Dell from Staples for $300 just a few weeks ago. I went there to buy a 19" Acer (I think it was) they had on sale for $179. Looking at all the different monitors the picture quality on a couple of the Dells really jumped out on me. I forget what the numbers are but the contrast ratio and refresh rate were double or triple that of the others. I figured for something I'm going to be staring at that much it's worth it to spend the extra money and went for the smallest Dell they had.
I'd suggest going to a store and picking one out. They are usually only $30 or so more and you get to see the picture before you buy it. Additionally if you have to return it your life will be much easier.

Acer is the Hyundai of computers.

spwz99
04-17-2008, 07:51 PM
I'd suggest going to a store and picking one out. They are usually only $30 or so more and you get to see the picture before you buy it. Additionally if you have to return it your life will be much easier.

Yeah, I need to do that. We've got a staples just down the road. I just have to find time and get up there.

Ruler_Mark
04-17-2008, 08:07 PM
I have 2 24in samsungs, they are amazing,, they are now avalible @ sams club for 330$+tax and they have smaller samsungs for cheaper. I highly sugggest to visit sams club if you can for a base price to look to be beat by a online store.

SkinnyHare
04-19-2008, 11:24 PM
for a keyboard, i love this little booger. i own three of them. it's like having the short and crisp travel of a laptop board, but the ease of a full size board. <3 <3 <3 <3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126022

for a mouse, i've always been a fan of the logitech MX 310 and MX 518 models. plus, they just look cool as hell if you switch out the LEDs for different colors. i've gone with greens, oranges, and even an nUV on my 310 model.

as for monitors... go wide screen. i switched about two years ago and will never go back to the 3:4 aspect ratio.

if you need something where color representation is critical, stay away from anything that uses a TN type panel (i.e. basically almost every model that is less than 24"). you have to be careful though because there are some >24" models out there that do use TN panels instead of some form of VA or IPS panel. if color accuracy is not critical (you're not a graphic designer or photoshop monkey) then it won't be a huge deal. i would imagine in your case, a quality 22" would suit you fine and hardly break the bank. the added bonus is that in your gaming you will be less likely to see ghosting because of the traditionally higher response rates TN panels tend to have over VAs and especially IPS panels.

i will just say this, when it comes to monitors, you WILL get what you pay for, so don't scrimp and make sure to do your homework before you buy. good info can always be found on hardforum.com and even on the ncix.com boards.

Hilltop Customs
04-20-2008, 01:09 AM
surf the web, get ideas of prices.....google is your friend. tigerdirect, newegg, and other comp sites are great refrences, but be4 you buy something, please see it in person....buying/returning online isnt as much of a hassel as some people make it out to be(ive returned to tirgerdirect MANY times with no problems) but at least know absoluely what you want be4 buying online.

as for reccomendations, do not go lower than 19in widscreen for anything or you will be sorry. I bought a 19" but that is only because I have a 50"dlp i have a comp permently hooked up to....so I can watch anything on the bigger screen anytime. If you dont have an HD set already and this is what you are watching movies/tv on go as big as your budget allows.(my opinion) I dont mind using the 19" for comp purposes, but I could never see using it to relax(tv/movies).

ps, I LOVE samsung....never had a single problem with any of my samsung equipment.(knock on wood)

SkinnyHare
04-20-2008, 01:26 AM
Samsung has been pretty good, although i was a bit put off by the whole "A/S/C?" fiasco with the 226BW monitors of theirs. that's really dirty of them to have gone around making it increasingly difficult to identify the actual manufacturer of the panel itself and eventually making it completely impossible... all to hide who the panel came from (and by implication the reduced quality/performance if you weren't lucky enough to get one with an "S" panel).

angrysasquatch
04-20-2008, 06:24 PM
At my school, they have some 21" widescreen LCD's hooked up to the CAD comps that are pretty sweet. At home, since I'm cheap, I hoard 17" CRT's. If your video card has the outputs (2 video), I'd suggest 2 screens, really helpful for designing stuff.

MoeMag
04-21-2008, 01:33 AM
Color.

But yeah get two screens