PDA

View Full Version : A modern flintlock!?

MoeMag
04-19-2008, 12:01 AM
Hey gun folks...

So I'm looking up stuff on black powder and came across a thompson center moden flintlock...

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/mzModernFlint.php

Thats sick. I'm pretty sure im going to get one just cause.

So anyone know about this sort of stuff?

Are they accurate? range?

I Always think of my shotgun as a musket when Im shooting slugs... I have fun chucking massive slugs at targets 100yds out. usually getting about 6" groups on a good day.

but unlike my shotgun this thing is rifled... what kind of velocity does one get out of these things? ball, sabot, .50 caliber!? whats the velocity out of these things?

black powder doesnt burn supersonic, so does that mean that the round says sub sonic?

rawbutter
04-19-2008, 09:59 AM
I don't know anything about hunting, but... a friend of mine (who is an avid hunter) bought a flint-lock two years ago, and he says he hasn't used anything else since, at least when hunting big game. So they must be good/fun.

doc_Zox
04-19-2008, 12:29 PM
PA's Blackpowder deer season require traditional flintlock weapons

the TC Firestorm is good for this role

heres another:
http://rmcsports.com/rmcsports_cfmfiles/product.cfm?msection=1040

chafnerjr
04-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Nothing but TC for my family... probably because they work for them, but slick slick firearms. I'm not a hunter and don't shoot them but we're glad they didn't go down when the factory burnt some :D years ago.

druid
04-24-2008, 02:22 AM
Numbered to correlate responses:

Hey gun folks...

So I'm looking up stuff on black powder and came across a thompson center moden flintlock...

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/mzModernFlint.php

Thats sick. I'm pretty sure im going to get one just cause.
--------------------
1. So anyone know about this sort of stuff?

2. Are they accurate? range?

3. I Always think of my shotgun as a musket when Im shooting slugs... I have fun chucking massive slugs at targets 100yds out. usually getting about 6" groups on a good day.

4. but unlike my shotgun this thing is rifled... what kind of velocity does one get out of these things? ball, sabot, .50 caliber!? whats the velocity out of these things?

5. black powder doesnt burn supersonic, so does that mean that the round says sub sonic?

1. yes, it's a modern version of the antique (or replica/repro), original versions. Different and modern steels are used in it's creation and many (but I don't know about this one, didn't read that much of it) are capable of handling "magnum" equivelent pressures (unlike older versions).

2, As accurate as the shooter can be with it. Remember that you are using open sights with it and you have to test powder grains ("F#" factor) with measure size (gr quantity) on a particular projectile. MaxiBalls are different than BallETs and sabots....etc...and each will react differently with different powders and charges, etc. As far as range, that again depends on the load but my Hawken (original-old version...not a repro or kit) will kill out to 150 yards with a buffalo BallET but that's right on the edge of an "ethical kill" because the energy dissipates faster in black powder projectiles than smokeless powders. At that range, it may not do much damage to a game animal and make it suffer. Think of anything LESS than 100 yards and you should be good.,

3. Then you should try a BlunderBuss, Brown Bess or other TRUE musket. You might think otherwise (that it's cool)...lol.

4. My .50 Hawken is rifled with a 1:18" twist and puts a round ball out at ~2200 fps...but a buffalo ballET out at 2550 for the same powder charge.

5. nope. subsonic means under the speed of sound but it more refers to the speed of the projectile...not the speed at which the powder burns. Supersonic is normally half again (or more) the speed of sound. Unless you create a round that fires it subsonic, you'll hear it's standard sound of "kuh.....pooooooom" and in trying to find a subsonic charge, may result in a wedged round (plugged barrel - not good). Black powder burns slower than smokeless powder, that's true...but even smokeless powder is made from some of blackpowder's components. It's still extremely volitile because it was a primary ingrediant for TNT used in mining the land.