PDA

View Full Version : lvl 7 bolt questions

DanMan
04-20-2008, 05:15 PM
does any one know how long it takes a lvl 7 bolt to go from rest to fully extended? I am doing a project for my physics class and wanted to calculate the forces going on inside a marker.
thanks
dan

MANN
04-20-2008, 05:35 PM
does any one know how long it takes a lvl 7 bolt to go from rest to fully extended? I am doing a project for my physics class and wanted to calculate the forces going on inside a marker.
thanks
dan

The fastest that an agd marker has been proven to cycle has been 32bps. With saying that it is going to be about 1/32 of a second

secretweaponevan
04-20-2008, 05:47 PM
The fastest that an agd marker has been proven to cycle has been 32bps. With saying that it is going to be about 1/32 of a second

I think it would also depend on CO2 or HPA. I think CO2 would be a teeny bit slower since it probably has to transition from vapor to pure gas as it depressurizes.

questionful
04-20-2008, 06:18 PM
You don't agree with the 34.5?

How accurate do you want to be? What you could do, since the bolt is steel, is turn it into a switch and time it electronically. I don't know how much that equipment would cost, but it would be interesting.

And you should call AGD, maybe they have that info.

MANN
04-20-2008, 06:45 PM
You don't agree with the 34.5?

I thought zak only got 32.5...

skyguy
04-20-2008, 06:45 PM
go from rest to fully extended?

I would say half of 1/32nd, so more like 1/64th, and yeah so something like .015 seconds would prolly be a good enough guess...

michbich
04-20-2008, 07:34 PM
I thought zak only got 32.5...
34 and feeeding it with 3k psi

Edit: It's not going to be 1/2 of 1/34, the return spring is probably slower then the forward motion.

skyguy
04-20-2008, 08:16 PM
It's not going to be 1/2 of 1/34, the return spring is probably slower then the forward motion.

Why? Without measurements I don't think you can back up that claim.

Furthermore, as this is theoretical, and guesstimates, and we don't know exactly how long it took for zak vetters paintballs to enter the breach, I think one or two sigfigs is all we need in the thousandths of a second order of magnitude. And that's why something like .01-.015 seconds-ish should be close enough

michbich
04-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Why? Without measurements I don't think you can back up that claim.

Furthermore, as this is theoretical, and guesstimates, and we don't know exactly how long it took for zak vetters paintballs to enter the breach, I think one or two sigfigs is all we need in the thousandths of a second order of magnitude. And that's why something like .01-.015 seconds-ish should be close enough

I can't back my claim, but we can't claim it's exacly half neither. Of course the forces would be different, one is air driven while the other is spring driven...where am i going with this? I don't know.

temps
04-20-2008, 09:00 PM
I can't back my claim, but we can't claim it's exacly half neither. Of course the forces would be different, one is air driven while the other is spring driven...where am i going with this? I don't know.

If we assume that the dump chamber is completely empty by the time the spring takes into effect, then it should be easy to calculate the force the spring has, and the weight of the bolt and get a pretty accurate estimate as to the return speed/time.

That said, if I took a class in fluid dynamics I'm sure I could calculate the speed of the bolt by the force of the air on the circumference of the bolt.. ext. ext. to get the speed. Sadly I chose to go a different root in school so I cannot help.

questionful
04-21-2008, 12:31 AM
etc! sorry had to
This wouldn't be too fast for a high-speed camera would it? It would at least be very interesting to take some mags to a place that would let you mess around with high-speed cameras.

Can someone with electrical knowledge (I don't know crap) tell us how plausible it would be to turn the bolt into a switch? I think that would be the easiest way to test this.

Enemy
04-22-2008, 03:55 AM
tom knows this info and i believe it is buried in the depths of this fourm also i do know for a fact that the lvl 10 cycles slightly slower than the lvl 7... but in forms of distance and time only the vikings have a shorter stroke and time frame than the mags thats why they both are able to hit such insane speeds!!

also dont forget that stroke over time is important to acceleration and subsequent gs so take that into account for your project..

and sorry if my info is false.... im a little :cheers: