PDA

View Full Version : The post I thought I would never make

punkncat
04-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Guys I am thinking long and hard about retiring from the sport.

Maybe I am just finally succumbing to feeling sorry for myself, I am not sure. This past weekend I practiced with my team and realized that I am just not having any fun with this anymore. With the playing aspect.
I love this game so much and I think that has been my drive to try so hard to recover enough to play. The past several times of trying to play I have come to the realization that even before my injury my skill and ability were on the wane. The only thing carrying me at that time was the knowledge from playing for a very long time coupled with my physical ability. I still have the knowledge, but the disadvantages of being a 6'3" guy who cannot move and cannot hide behind most bunkers is catching up to me in a strong dose of reality.
I know that my current team has me on board for for honoring me as the player I was and person I am rather than the actually ability I bring to the field with me.

I dunno, I could go on and on about it. I have a lot of soul searching to do, and a lot of thought to put in before I decide. I know that I keep working at it I will get better. Not that I will ever be as I was before, that is unreasonable to believe. And I also know that if I quit now I will never know. The drive to be better is what is making me better. I have come an amazing way in the past few months and possibly will come that much further again. Not to mention how big a loss I would take on all my gear.

spectre184
04-21-2008, 08:07 PM
get out of tourney play and just play rec ball. That is what I did.

Either way, good luck :p

punkncat
04-21-2008, 08:12 PM
get out of tourney play and just play rec ball. That is what I did.

Either way, good luck :p

You know I have given that some consideration but I have to be honest. Rec ball just bores the hell out of me. Not to mention the sheer chaos of it nowdays. In a lot of ways I am out of touch with being on a field with a couple of dozen people...playing alone....lol

pmstc
04-21-2008, 08:15 PM
You know I have given that some consideration but I have to be honest. Rec ball just bores the hell out of me. Not to mention the sheer chaos of it nowdays. In a lot of ways I am out of touch with being on a field with a couple of dozen people...playing alone....lol
I'm probably going to play a few D5 GFOA tourneys this summer with my friend this summer.. we need more teammates. We're not out for blood, just a good time.
Your welcome to play with us unless your rank would bump us out of the beginner tourneys :p

VTLO910
04-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Don't give up bud... Like said above, just change your play...

You might even enjoy going to a local field and coaching some kids each time you go...

It IS the young that will carry on the sport, show them what it is like to have good sportsmanship and still have a good time...

drg
04-21-2008, 08:18 PM

What don't you like about rec ball? Maybe you need to find a different field and/or different style of play.

punkncat
04-21-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm probably going to play a few D5 GFOA tourneys this summer with my friend this summer.. we need more teammates. We're not out for blood, just a good time.
Your welcome to play with us unless your rank would bump us out of the beginner tourneys :p

Who do you play with?

We have made the first two GFOA events and have been playing the open division.

Not that I am interested in playing, no offense intended, just curious.

stupiddogg
04-21-2008, 08:20 PM

I hear ya, I have felt the same way over the last yr plus.....Ultimately what I decided is A) Ill play pump where honor is still around B) Ill play when I want, monthly , yearly WHO CARES.... C) I'll enjoy the sport for my reasons and not someone or some companies reasons.

So far it has worked for me and given me the time to find what else "drives" me like pb once did. I have learned I dont have to totally walk away.

Good luck in your searching

SD

Smoothice
04-21-2008, 08:22 PM
hmm.

I don't think quiting should be an option.

But something needs to change to bring the joy back to your game. I would vote for getting out of traditional tourney ball.

Perhaps invest your time and knowledge into giving back to the handi cappable community and paintball as a whole. Maybe put together some tournaments or activities or something for people that have suffered injuries that could/would affect there activities.

Imagine the joy you could bring to those who think they are unable to participate in this great sport because of their physical condition.

I think your knowledge and passion of the game can still be of use perhaps more so then you could ever imagine.

pmstc
04-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Who do you play with?

We have made the first two GFOA events and have been playing the open division.

Not that I am interested in playing, no offense intended, just curious.
Er.. I play on the Clemson Paintball team. I haven't been rostered much this year so I'm still ranked D5.
I figured D5 would be a way for you to cut loose and just enjoy yourself though, suit yourself :p

punkncat
04-21-2008, 08:28 PM
What don't you like about rec ball? Maybe you need to find a different field and/or different style of play.

To be completly honest because it is sloppy, unstructured, unruly, and no real challenge. Well unless you factor in the fact that its pretty much every man for himself and you cannot count on anyone watching your back, lol.
Seriously I have been playing against Rookie+ division teams for the past three years. Walking onto an open play field was (before I got hurt) like a turkey shoot. I am not trying to toot my own horn or anything, it (was) really just not fair to have a guy who played like I did on field with a bunch of rec players. Now that I cannot move around I sit behind home bunker and listen to them all run themselves out of paint cause I can't go get them anymore. And waste paint myself shooting at people that are too far away. I move so slow now that trying to come out from behind a bunker to actually go get someone is like giving them a free shot. Its kinda hard on the mind when you know how good you know how to be, and simply cannot physically pull it off anymore.

So yeah, to break it down. What sucks is that I still have a tourney player mindset and don't have the physical mobility to defeat a noob.

Warwitch
04-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Sorry to hear it. Maybe you just need a little time away to gain a new perspective. No doubt its been hard for you to focus. Perhaps paintball is a psychological crutch, no pun intended (for once). Distraction is usually not a good thing and could be keeping you from overcoming the mental aspects of your situation. You might even entertain the possibility of speaking to a sports psychologist.

I admire that you were so eager to get back in the saddle. But the sport will certainly still be here if and when you decide to come back.

afortuna
04-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Two words Cat..Back right.

those bunkers tend to be taller. This sport doesn't pay to play, but you will pay to play. Don't lose focus on why you enjoyed playing. I've recently sold off all of my equipment after having gotten back into the sport and regret it. I use to play, not for the dominance of my play (which wasn't half bad), but more for the social aspects of the game, a lot of which happened between games. Stay strong.

tippett
04-21-2008, 08:42 PM
The question every athlete eventually has to cross is when to retire and ride off into the sunset. Some do it to early and regret their decision, while some retire long after their ability has faded and are now a burden on their respective team. You would fall into the first catagory riding off to early don't do it man scale back your role play how you feel comfortable and shoot all those in your way.

The great thing about any organized sport is there is always a place for talented, honorable individuals even if it isn't on the field. If you love the sport but can not play at the level you are used to playing at consider coaching and influencing those new to the sport. If your team and others are offering to play with you then your skills and sevices have not dimished as much as you would like to think. Plus it sounds as though you are continuing to improve with practice which means you must have a passion for what you are doing otherwise why pratice. If nothing else don't stop playing until your heart isn't in it anymore or it gives out completly which ever comes first.

Good luck with whatever you decide, hope you decide to stick around.
tippett

drg
04-21-2008, 08:50 PM
To be completly honest because it is sloppy, unstructured, unruly, and no real challenge. Well unless you factor in the fact that its pretty much every man for himself and you cannot count on anyone watching your back, lol.
Seriously I have been playing against Rookie+ division teams for the past three years. Walking onto an open play field was (before I got hurt) like a turkey shoot. I am not trying to toot my own horn or anything, it (was) really just not fair to have a guy who played like I did on field with a bunch of rec players. Now that I cannot move around I sit behind home bunker and listen to them all run themselves out of paint cause I can't go get them anymore. And waste paint myself shooting at people that are too far away. I move so slow now that trying to come out from behind a bunker to actually go get someone is like giving them a free shot. Its kinda hard on the mind when you know how good you know how to be, and simply cannot physically pull it off anymore.

So yeah, to break it down. What sucks is that I still have a tourney player mindset and don't have the physical mobility to defeat a noob.

This is what I was afraid of, this is an attitude problem, mostly, that you can only fix yourself. Although you also should find a field where better players play rec.

punkncat
04-21-2008, 08:59 PM
this is an attitude problem, mostly,

No, I am sorry this
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/259/259802/pages/720242/leg.JPG
is not specifically a problem with my attitude...although apparently it is causing one.... :argh:

VTLO910
04-21-2008, 09:01 PM
No, I am sorry this
is not specifically a problem with my attitude...although apparently it is causing one.... :argh:

Yeah, you totally need to get rid of those BOBO Shoes...lol ;)

drg
04-21-2008, 09:04 PM
No, I am sorry this

I am aware of your condition and yes, you are facing an attitude problem. Basically you think you are better than you are right now. Note that the word attitude is not inherently bad, it simply means a way of looking at things.

Some players are perfectly healthy and never move from home bunker. Can you crawl okay? Maybe you could develop a new style of play where you basically play on the ground the whole game. Once you get to the snake your disadvantage is gone. Unorthodox but hey you can refine it on the rec field.

flyingpootang
04-21-2008, 09:05 PM
I also quit playing tourney awhile ago because I didn't want to loose out on my kids growing up. After that I faded away from paintball for a couple of years. I just started getting back into it a year ago and have to admit I have bought more markers over the past year than actually played. If my count is right I went about 3-4 times in 12 months. I too was bored with walk-ons when I started replying, but I found out if played pump or with a pistol I it was a bit more challenging.

SkinnyHare
04-21-2008, 09:06 PM
aw, hey, give the rec-ball another go. when you play for a bit and get 2 or 3 guys you hit it off with, it's a blast.

where i was, it was really disorganized for a while and had the whole "every man for himself" thing going on... really it was quite chaotic. after a few months everyone figured out who they worked well with and so you'd have 15 or 20 guys on each side that would break down into these little "mini teams" that had their own strategies and styles of play that worked for them.

my close buds and i, we gave the whole speedball/tourney thing a go and just really weren't happy with it. the pressure to play well and win eventually turned us off to the whole thing. we just weren't having as much fun because of the constant pressure to win, win, win. for us, rec-ball was just about going out to play for fun and not care who snags the flag or eliminates the other team... but organized play, that wasn't fun because it was all about performance and stats. with rec-ball, when we'd screw something up, no biggie, it just gave us something to laugh about in between games.

edit to avoid a 2x post...
http://www.paintballstar.com/pn/modules.php?op=modload&name=PagEd&file=index&topic_id=7&page_id=415

i only bring up Dale 'cause he's cool. i spent many of my younger years playing on one of his fields.

edit yet again: not to make fun, but you really need to play with a http://www.creativeinvitations.net/images_0-a/19-0123.jpg on when you go to the field. yar! :argh:

punkncat
04-21-2008, 09:13 PM
I am aware of your condition and yes, you are facing an attitude problem. Basically you think you are better than you are right now.

This is something to think on for a minute.

drg
04-21-2008, 09:19 PM
This is something to think on for a minute.

And just to be clear, I don't mean that in a meanspirited way. It is probably especially difficult because the change occurred relatively suddenly rather than a gradual tailing off of physical ability. But the facts "on the ground" so to speak are that even though you consider rec ball beneath you, you are unable to compete at a higher level (right now), so it's a matter of adjusting your expectations and perspective.

d4m4don3
04-21-2008, 09:20 PM
No, I am sorry this
You're not the 1st.

http://www.peglegpaintball.com/about.html

I watched this guy play the huntington beach pump tourney. He moved pretty well and gave the opponents a run for their money. Don't be distraught fight on! :headbang:

drg
04-21-2008, 09:27 PM
You're not the 1st.

http://www.peglegpaintball.com/about.html

I watched this guy play the huntington beach pump tourney. He moved pretty well and gave the opponents a run for their money. Don't be distraught fight on! :headbang:

That is the 'Dale' being referred to above.

punkncat
04-21-2008, 09:37 PM
I have actually talked with and run into quite a few people that play with different disabilities.

Thanks much for all of your advice. I think for now it would be best for me to just give things a bit more time and consideration before I do something brash. Yesterday I pushed myself harder and longer than I had up to this point and am paying a high price for it today.

d4m4don3
04-21-2008, 09:39 PM
ahh didn't realize that until I read the rest of the thread. :rolleyes:

TnDeathInc
04-21-2008, 09:48 PM
pick up on a scenario team that plays recreationally. You have a spot on our team any time. I stopped playing tournys about the timei tore my hamstring, then i healed, then i had a daughter, and i wanted to play for fun again, no more practice except walkon on sat and sun. I think as with anything you need to vary itr up. there are even so old pros and current pros playing rec and scenario to break the monteny.

I feel the same thing with my taekwondo. I been doing it for 21 years come May. I have been the 2nd best in the nation, and i have been dead last, more of the later after tearing the hamstring and putting on the extra 30 lbs. but i had to change the way i think, and my master instructor told me this i think it may help.....

You dont have an electric guitar no more you body has changed you cant just wail on it, you have a differ instrument now, experienced one, one that has to be warmed up, a violin per say. Not to say you cant play a winning and great masterpiece, it just has a different tune, -as soon as you realize that the less time you'll spend restringing.

that may be a little garbled but i wanted to post tis to a good friend from my black berry

/hugs brother

mostpeople
04-21-2008, 09:52 PM
punk there are other types of paintball you can play

Why not join a more mil-sim oriented team?

I have a story for you, maybe you'll like it..

I was playing SPPL 2 years ago I think? And our team was pretty good, we placed somewhere in the upper part of middle. Regardless there was 1 team, that really worked together really had their **** down as far as teamwork - in fact we learned something from them that my old team uses to this day, they would yell out something like 'eagle 1' whenever they killed somone, to let the whole team know the count, and eagle 2 for 2 guys just killed, etc..

Anyways the team I am talking about had a guy who just LOVED the sport and the idea of teamwork, and paintball, and having fun - and those are the best kinds of players right?? Anyways the guy was maybe 300 lbs, not very mobile at all, and a big guy to boot maybe your height? Anyways he functioned as the team leader, he stayed back, and worked his way up with his crew, and he played as the heavy support guy. He had like 10 pods, an e-gripped A-5, and a rocket launcher with the 10 rds on it. This guy was decked out to play... but like I said not very agile/mobile/fast. This guy had so much fun though - he didnt have to run around, he didnt have to slide, he played the game with the skillset he was given, he led his team because he could read the field.

If I were you I would stop playing that speedball stuff - which is fun, and get into team play and or woodsball/recball. Go back to the sport of paintball, not speedball/X.

halB
04-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Been there. Done that. I'm 6'2. And I MESSED UP my left leg doing one fateful slide. It took me one full year of stretching and re-tearing the muscle before I got it back to where it was. I mean that thing was messed up. I couldn't push off. I couldn't run. You better believe I couldn't kneel or squat.

So I changed my game. I had always been a front player, and I became a mid player (still don't have enough money to be a back player.)

Now, I walk off the break. I don't run. I'm pretty good at longballing, so I stick around to lay down ropes and I also get to see where the other team goes. And then I nonchalantly walk to me bunker. I only do the standups. Well, I only did. My leg is better now (after one whole freaking year!)

You just need to adapt man. It ain't all about being a teenager who can leap from bunker to bunker at blinding speed. I'm no longer a teenager and I can't do that stuff anymore. I don't want to. Your problem isn't that you lost a leg (obviously that's an issue. I just don't know how to phrase that in a way that isn't insulting, because I realize that that statement is pretty heartless coming from a guy who still has both his legs.) Your problem is you're getting older! So adapt.

And try woodsball. Much more laid back.

magmonkey
04-22-2008, 12:10 PM
if playing paintball pushes you to recover more fully, don't give up on it. I was at a point with a shoulder and ankle injury that I thought I would have to call it a day, am I playing at the level I was?, no but I trying to play all of the nppl/osc pump events this year and I am having a better time doing it then I can rmeber having in the last 5 years

Keep fighting

halB
04-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Remember punk, winning is irrelevant! I mean, I had to quit Magic (yes, I'm a dork, get all the insults out of the way already) because I started playing it purely for money. I lost sight of why I like playing it - I like shuffling cards :)

Sumthinwicked
04-22-2008, 02:26 PM
many have played majic..... and punk :argh: are cool senario might be the way to go be a general or a special charactor???? think of the guy from "men of honor" that was a real story and a real person ! he could move better than most of the younger guys once he put his mind to it gl and if you ever need a leg to stand on i mean shoulder to lean on hit me up mind you im 31 and fat ;)

trevorjk
04-22-2008, 02:39 PM
come up to wisconsin where the recball fields are pretty damn good, and the recplayers USUALLY PWN (for lack of better word) the speedballers on the field. recball can be easy to extremely hard depending on who you play.

what ive found is that if you go to a recball field and hit it up with some of the regulars that you will have a blast. both on and off the field. but if you go to a recball field and play against first timers or the not-regulars then and only then is it a turkey shoot.

ive been in a similar situation with paintball, tourneys were no longer fun, and just did not have the passion for it anymore. after 2 years of playing maybe 3 times with some friends im now getting back into the sport. although i only play 4-6 times a year, i usually find my self going out on the field and working on it, taking pictures, helping out with ref'ing, and just teaching the new guys respect for the game.

:rofl: im out at my favorite field 3 times a month and only play 4-6 times a year :spit_take

kurtisqpublic
04-22-2008, 03:00 PM
come up to wisconsin where the recball fields are pretty damn good, and the recplayers USUALLY PWN (for lack of better word) the speedballers on the field. recball can be easy to extremely hard depending on who you play.

what ive found is that if you go to a recball field and hit it up with some of the regulars that you will have a blast. both on and off the field. but if you go to a recball field and play against first timers or the not-regulars then and only then is it a turkey shoot.

ive been in a similar situation with paintball, tourneys were no longer fun, and just did not have the passion for it anymore. after 2 years of playing maybe 3 times with some friends im now getting back into the sport. although i only play 4-6 times a year, i usually find my self going out on the field and working on it, taking pictures, helping out with ref'ing, and just teaching the new guys respect for the game.

:rofl: im out at my favorite field 3 times a month and only play 4-6 times a year :spit_take

Not trying to hijack but what field do you play at Trevorjk?
Also Punk. As everyone else is saying, don't give up! I agree with the post on attitude. right now you're mentally taking a hit due to a major life changing event. Work through the issue with a physical therapist that specializes in sports medicine and set up a plan to get yourself back on track. Don't push yourself harder or faster than what the professional says. Sometimes in our zeal to get back on top we can do more harm than good in regards to recovery.
~Kurt

trevorjk
04-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Not trying to hijack but what field do you play at Trevorjk?
Also Punk. As everyone else is saying, don't give up! I agree with the post on attitude. right now you're mentally taking a hit due to a major life changing event. Work through the issue with a physical therapist that specializes in sports medicine and set up a plan to get yourself back on track. Don't push yourself harder or faster than what the professional says. Sometimes in our zeal to get back on top we can do more harm than good in regards to recovery.
~Kurt

Paintball Sams in Racine Wisconsin. where the regular recballers walk on the pro tourny ballers everyday im there :headbang:

cerrik
04-22-2008, 04:23 PM
You could try to finda CQB field where 90% of the action occurs in doors. If you want to totally change your play style. But this would allow you to move slower, and crouching would be about as low as you would need to get.

Or you could try picking up a C-leg which can help with the running and speed aspect of your play. Haven't seen a pt. with a C-leg yet personally. But I could talk around to co-workers or call up prosthetists and see what kind of stresses you could put on the thing. I know there are several athletes who have opted for the C-leg so they could run again. Course this would cost mucho dollars, unfortunatly.

custar
04-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Several have mentioned milsim or scenario ball, and I will join in that suggestion but with a twist. Have you ever thought of being a tank gunner? In fact, I will go a step further. If you want to give it a try at OK D-Day (second week of June), contact me by PM. We have a tank that needs a crew, including a gunner or two. Unit registration is technically closed, but with your condition I can manage to have you assigned to a tank crew if you act fast. I can't waive the fees, etc, but I can place you in a vehicle so you can participate and shoot people. There is one catch; you will have to be German (but we have more fun anyway).

custar

neppo1345
04-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Seems to me that you're forgetting the fact that this sport is fun on and off the field.

Yeah, the tournament mindset is great when you need to win a tourny or practice for one...

But the real reason why I still play is because I can go out to a field with one or a group of my buddies, play a game, shoot the crap, play a game, shoot the crap...you get the idea.

I love being around the sport...even if I'm not playing.

If I'm too poor to play I go and take pictures and try to help the field owners. Yeah, its great for them...but its really great for me; I get to be around what I love.

You seemed like a helluva dude when I met you, not the type to call it quits.

going_home
04-22-2008, 05:58 PM
You want a challenge ?
Before you quit get yourself a good sniper and play some pump.
Personally I like the Series 6. 13ci tank and a Reloader II.
You have gotten bored thats all.
Get on stockclasspaintball.com and meet up with the pump group in your area.
I think you will be surprised how much fun you will have.
And to me, thats all paintball will ever be to me.
The only reason I play, for fun.

;)

Scott Hudnall
04-22-2008, 06:18 PM
I like SPECTRE's post. You need to get in touch with what thrilled you about paintball to begin with. Play some fun, good, rec ball. Have some dominating the kid-wanna-be's on the rec field with your mech 'mag. Just have a good time.

:cheers:

BigEvil
04-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Dont give up yet. Once the rest of life is in order, this will fall into place.

:cheers:

thegrayghost
04-22-2008, 09:29 PM
punkncat, take time off, get back into it, take time off again, and i'll bet you will get back into it...you have limitations you think now, wait until you get a little older, my friend, those limitations grow larger with age...play scenerio, play pump, change your style of play and movement....i'll bet paintball is in your blood as it is in mine...i do my style, you re-create your style and always remember, paintball is a fun sport, meeting people, etc...when you get super old, you will have a lifetime of fun stories, as i do....i have been playing 7 years now and started late in my life....i am entering the "winter session" of my life and will enjoy this sport forever, lololololo.....and you will too, my young friend.....

i will be 65 this year and enjoy everytime i can take out a youngster when they see the old man/grandfather coming at them, lolololol......memories, my friend.....

thegrayghost

wetwrks
04-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Hey dude, I walked away for several years and thought I would never come back. Yet here I am.

You need to remember that recovering from an accident and the loss of a leg will be a lengthly process. You need to hold the line and keep at it. Look back to when you were waiting to get your prosthesis and how long it took just to relearn to walk. Paintball will take a while. You won't get back to speed by surrendering now.

Keep the faith dude, it will get better.

Cold Steel
04-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Guys I am thinking long and hard about retiring from the sport.

Maybe I am just finally succumbing to feeling sorry for myself, I am not sure. This past weekend I practiced with my team and realized that I am just not having any fun with this anymore. With the playing aspect.
I love this game so much and I think that has been my drive to try so hard to recover enough to play. The past several times of trying to play I have come to the realization that even before my injury my skill and ability were on the wane. The only thing carrying me at that time was the knowledge from playing for a very long time coupled with my physical ability. I still have the knowledge, but the disadvantages of being a 6'3" guy who cannot move and cannot hide behind most bunkers is catching up to me in a strong dose of reality.
I know that my current team has me on board for for honoring me as the player I was and person I am rather than the actually ability I bring to the field with me.

I dunno, I could go on and on about it. I have a lot of soul searching to do, and a lot of thought to put in before I decide. I know that I keep working at it I will get better. Not that I will ever be as I was before, that is unreasonable to believe. And I also know that if I quit now I will never know. The drive to be better is what is making me better. I have come an amazing way in the past few months and possibly will come that much further again. Not to mention how big a loss I would take on all my gear.

I got 2 words for you, scenario paintball. It's too easy to get some buddies and go play in a scenario as a squad. The teamwork is still there. The challenge of playing with and against experienced players is there. The strategy and tactics change a bit, but that's a good thing considering the target-rich environment you're now in. The cool part is just getting back to playing for fun. Who knows, a less competitive environment might allow you to mentor some young players who need a little push from a veteran player.

You don't need to retire, just find a new niche (or dust off an old one).

CS

Gabriel
04-23-2008, 10:24 AM
You want a challenge ?

;)

I second that! From the looks of it pump is FUN!

I also think scenario ball would be up your alley. The special units like the GJ's and ghosts at D-day sounds like what you'd be in to.

Chrishew09
04-23-2008, 10:49 AM
You want a challenge ?

;)
Yes, pump is the way to go now a days.
I was in that same boat a few years ago, until my buddy build me a sniper, it introduced me to a whole new game.
Some of the best games I have played it with my 1999 STO sniper, just get out of that whole competition scene.

Most importantly don't give up, God loves you!!!

custar
04-23-2008, 10:59 AM
I second that! From the looks of it pump is FUN!

I also think scenario ball would be up your alley. The special units like the GJ's and ghosts at D-day sounds like what you'd be in to.

Did someone call? I can probably arrange that too.

custar
Sgt Major, OK D-Day German Army '08 and Sgt Major of Geisterjagers

electriceel125
04-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Is your name George? There is a man who plays CFOA with one leg named George is the reason I ask.

kurtisqpublic
04-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Paintball Sams in Racine Wisconsin. where the regular recballers walk on the pro tourny ballers everyday im there :headbang:

I was a regular at Dave's Splat camp for many years. I think I'm making the trek to Sam's big game this year, but so far I have not talked anyone I know into coming with me :(

PumpMag
04-24-2008, 12:30 AM
Try playing pump. It will be a whole New way for you to enjoy the game again, after the learning curve of course.

You'll be a newbie again. :)

Gabriel
04-24-2008, 04:05 AM
Did someone call? I can probably arrange that too.

custar
Sgt Major, OK D-Day German Army '08 and Sgt Major of Geisterjagers

man, I was pre-registered with your unit last year, but at the LAST MINUTE (literally... like the week before) my friend bailed on me.

I was so dissapointed... :(

PM me with info on this year's game and the gj availability please!

Lohman446
04-24-2008, 05:14 AM
Obviously I cannot begin to know what you are going through right now, so I have to relate the best I can.

Somewhere I got a reputation of being a better player than I ever was. It comes from a unique perspective on playing the game, unique attempts at breaking games open, and a little bit of luck. Somehow people remember the 10% success ratio and don't see the times that someone else playing in my spot would have been better for the team. Call it a lack of effort on my part, a lack of taking it seriously, whatever. I had great teams for awhile that could carry me. While I was an off field leader somehow the reputation carried to on-field where it was so not deserved.

Well, people are realizing my weaknesses. Am I a worse player than I was? Perhaps, I would say the game has changed and hindered my style. At first, watching players I had had a hand in grooming to the level they are at (and only a small hand) made me flinch. But I realized that I could make a niche out of it.

I found a niche though. Player development. I simply play on the "B" team and do everything I can to make the players around me better, to make them next years top players. With the turnaround in paintball I think I will always have that spot.

Perhaps there is such a spot for you? Perhaps its using your knowledge to coach. I don't know exactly. What I know is that I had to take an honest look at myself as a player - not the player that other people thought I was - and make decisions. I made the decision that I was not ready to work hard, practice, and make drastic improvements on my shortcomings. Perhaps I just couldn't. I found where my skill set and my desire to play and be part of a team best fit together, and I am as happy playing as I ever was.

rabidchihauhau
04-24-2008, 07:16 AM
Like few others here, I can directly relate to this. 15 years of nothing but tournament play, followed by another 5 not playing but still involved.

If you don't have the 'tournament mind-set', you might be able to talk about it, but you have no real appreciation for what it means, nor what it feels like.

You can suggest trying other formats, but those suggestions will fall flat for the basic reason that the people you're suggesting he now play with DO NOT have the tournament mind set. They may be fine players, they may be fun to be with, but they just don't think, feel or act in the way that you are used to.

They don't 'understand' what its all about.

Rec ball is and was done for me after tournament ball. What he said is right - not an attitude. You can't trust anyone on the field, there's no "team" out there.

"Team" is not just friends or good people to hang with. Its a single entity with a single brain that you can feel all around you. If you've never experienced it, you can't relate and you have no idea what its like to be on the field without it.

I've never experienced it with more than 15 some-odd players, which may be one reason why the larger scenario/mil-sim teams don't cut it for me either. It may not be possible for it to develop with larger groups, so suggesting that as an alternative won't work.

My experience with scenario also touches on the 'no trust' issue; I read all about these teams that accomplish so much and complete these missions and whatnot - I've yet to see it on the field. What I do see is a bunch of individual groups sometimes coordinating their actions, but more often than not just out there doing their own thing. That's not a friendly environment for a tournament player. Not a down on scenario, just an illustration that its not a substitute for tournament play. They are, after all, two different animals.

With all that being said, I'll second/third the suggestions that you coach. That's what I moved into when I no longer had the heart to give a game my all (and as a tournament player, if you aren't literally willing to die trying to win for your team, you don't belong on the field and you know it).

I found coaching to actually be as, if not more, rewarding than actually playing. The greatest moments occur when a player comes off the field and says 'hey coach, I did what you told me to and it worked!'. That, and players who move on to greater glory playing at the higher levels because you gave them the necessary skills.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Gabriel
04-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Like few others here, I can directly relate to this. 15 years of nothing but tournament play, followed by another 5 not playing but still involved.

If you don't have the 'tournament mind-set', you might be able to talk about it, but you have no real appreciation for what it means, nor what it feels like.

You can suggest trying other formats, but those suggestions will fall flat for the basic reason that the people you're suggesting he now play with DO NOT have the tournament mind set. They may be fine players, they may be fun to be with, but they just don't think, feel or act in the way that you are used to.

Rec ball is and was done for me after tournament ball. What he said is right - not an attitude. You can't trust anyone on the field, there's no "team" out there.

"Team" is not just friends or good people to hang with. Its a single entity with a single brain that you can feel all around you. If you've never experienced it, you can't relate and you have no idea what its like to be on the field without it.

I've never experienced it with more than 15 some-odd players, which may be one reason why the larger scenario/mil-sim teams don't cut it for me either. It may not be possible for it to develop with larger groups, so suggesting that as an alternative won't work.

My experience with scenario also touches on the 'no trust' issue; I read all about these teams that accomplish so much and complete these missions and whatnot - I've yet to see it on the field. What I do see is a bunch of individual groups sometimes coordinating their actions, but more often than not just out there doing their own thing. That's not a friendly environment for a tournament player. Not a down on scenario, just an illustration that its not a substitute for tournament play. They are, after all, two different animals.

With all that being said, I'll second/third the suggestions that you coach. That's what I moved into when I no longer had the heart to give a game my all (and as a tournament player, if you aren't literally willing to die trying to win for your team, you don't belong on the field and you know it).

I found coaching to actually be as, if not more, rewarding than actually playing. The greatest moments occur when a player comes off the field and says 'hey coach, I did what you told me to and it worked!'. That, and players who move on to greater glory playing at the higher levels because you gave them the necessary skills.

but don't forget pump tourneys!

punkncat
04-24-2008, 09:30 AM

You brought to words much of what I was apparently unable to do succinctly.

I actually have found myself gravitating towards coaching a bit when I go to the field. It is like I tell people, I can't do this myself, but try it and see how it works out.

I have pretty much decided that for now I am going to make no decision. I practiced a little too hard last week and it was the first time I had come back up against some of the players and teams we scrimmaged who are pretty much at a pro am level. They are really good and know to do a lot of the things that prey on the "little" mistakes and shortcomings players tend to have. I went home over tired, sore as hell for about half the week and pretty dejected about my performance. As I said, sort of feeling sorry for myself.
I think that I am going to continue to scrimmage a bit because if nothing else it is excellent therapy and a great motivational drive to make myself do things I am so far not capable of. I have come a long way in a short time all things considered. I got a little too down on myself, something that I need to make a conscious effort not to do in the future.

Not to mention there are some upcoming scenario games I want to make and a few people I hope I can "get my stuff" together to play ball with and against next year.

Thanks AO for all of your support and suggestions.

ThePixelGuru
04-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Hey punkncat, just wanted to throw my 2¢ in.

Don't give up on paintball, man - just do what people here are suggesting and reevaluate where and how you're playing. There are tons of formats, there's got to be something out there that fits for you. Whether it's a kind of field that makes running easier for you, a different format with a pace that works better, or a different role (like playing back or coaching), I'm sure you'll find something. Stuff changes, you just gotta roll with the punches and adapt.

Jaan
04-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Well, for what it's worth I got burned out on the game a few years ago myself. Mostly it was the blatant cheating. Like you it simply wasn't fun anymore. It was only until I played a pump game that I rediscovered my love for the game. Now, I can't remember the last time I shot a semi, I played all of last year with a stock class Phantom pistol.

I guess it's a bit like dressing up your wife in a schoolgirl outfit when you start getting sick of her after a few years. Change things up a bit lol.

ta2maki
04-25-2008, 04:04 AM
Get out. If it's not the most fun you can have anymore, then just leave.

There are many, many things to do in this life. Why stick around paintball if it's not fun? Just because it was something that you were passionate about and loved doesn't mean you owe the sport your time not having fun. You are alloted a finite amount of time on this earth. You already have things you have to do that aren't fun. Why waste the free time you do have doing stuff you don't even enjoy. Experiencing different and new things is what life is all about. Go do other stuff, you can always come back.

Gabriel
04-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Get out. If it's not the most fun you can have anymore, then just leave.

There are many, many things to do in this life. Why stick around paintball if it's not fun? Just because it was something that you were passionate about and loved doesn't mean you owe the sport your time not having fun. You are alloted a finite amount of time on this earth. You already have things you have to do that aren't fun. Why waste the free time you do have doing stuff you don't even enjoy. Experiencing different and new things is what life is all about. Go do other stuff, you can always come back.

it's not just the sport, it's the people too!

Beemer
04-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Hey punkncat, just wanted to throw my 2¢ in.

Don't give up on paintball, man - just do what people here are suggesting and reevaluate where and how you're playing. There are tons of formats, there's got to be something out there that fits for you. Whether it's a kind of field that makes running easier for you, a different format with a pace that works better, or a different role (like playing back or coaching), I'm sure you'll find something. Stuff changes, you just gotta roll with the punches and adapt.

I will add to that. Be Verstile, Modify, Adapt, Overcome. VMAO :cheers:

custar
04-26-2008, 11:30 AM
it's not just the sport, it's the people too!

I will second that. Some of my best friends are not local and I only met through paintball.

custar

rabidchihauhau
04-26-2008, 12:45 PM
I guess it's a bit like dressing up your wife in a schoolgirl outfit when you start getting sick of her after a few years. Change things up a bit lol.

If you really want to change things up - YOU should be putting on the schoolgirl outfit...