PDA

View Full Version : Attention Engineers

skyless
04-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Closed Project Compleated
Thanks you everyone for replying, it really helped.

I come here because i know how awesome automags are. I have a hard time not loging on and searching though all the sweet pics of custom mags. The amount of custom work is amazing its hard to even find 2 mags that look the same. What Im trying to say is that someone is making this stuff that i keep buying and i want to hear from those people, or anyone related to any engineering field.

I am doing a project for my into to engineering class, focused mostly on mechanical engineers but would defiently like to hear from any field of engineering. I have interviewed several local machine shop owners with walk thoughs of their facilities. I am gathering information about the work involved in an engineering career. The information will be presented in front of the class, with photos of shops and descriptions of work done.

Thanks for any help, here is a list of questions, if you could copy/paste a pm with reply i would be grateful.
If you do not wish to answer any of the questions and would rather just write a bit about what you do that is fine too, just looking to gather information, the more the better.

:cheers:

QUESTIONS :
All information is just for this project and will not be shared, except in front of the class.

Name ,shop name, location, and job title are optional but help with the presentation.

-Is there anything in particular that influenced your choice to pursue engineering?
-What field of engineering did you study? What field of engineering are you in now?
-What courses from school were most useful to you on the job? The least useful?
-What do you find satisfying/dissatisfying about your work environment.
-Describe what you do on a daily basis.
-Are there any special commitments to your job- e.g., travel, overtime, social events, frequent relocation?
-What do you like best/least about working as an engineer?
-Knowing what you know now about your profession, would you still choose to pursue it? What would you do the same/differently?
-What do you think makes a “good” engineer?
-What one piece of advice could you offer to prospective engineer?
-Any added comments about the transition from school to Job, work history, self employment, or the likes please feel free to do so.

angrysasquatch
04-23-2008, 05:20 PM
QUESTIONS :
All information is just for this project and will not be shared, except in front of the class.

Name ,shop name, location, and job title are optional but help with the presentation.

-Is there anything in particular that influenced your choice to pursue engineering?
My brother took the program I'm in before I did, talked about it a lot and I found it really interesting.
-What field of engineering did you study? What field of engineering are you in now?
I am studying Mech engineering technology.
I'm just on my week off, going into my first of 3 co-ops on Monday. Can't really say.
Too many empty chip bags around :p
Sleep for half the day, eat for the other half
-Are there any special commitments to your job- e.g., travel, overtime, social events, frequent relocation?
Gotta go to the crapper pretty often, that's a pain.
I'm pretty sure I've seen this question with the same wording and everything somewhere else.
-Knowing what you know now about your profession, would you still choose to pursue it? What would you do the same/differently?
One who can think like the poor buggers who have to make the part he designed.
-Any added comments about the transition from school to Job, work history, self employment, or the likes please feel free to do so.

Answers bolded, not sure I'm really the type you're looking for :p

I know we've got some real engineers around here somewhere.

skyless
04-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks for all the reply. Anyone else that would like to contribute is still welcome. Thanks again

warpedmephisto
04-23-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm still working on my degree in Manufacturing Engineering, but I'll help out as much as I can.

I've always been interested by mechanical and electrical objects, how they work, and how they were manufactured. I've been known for disassembling perfectly working items just to see how they worked.
I'm currently studying Manufacturing Engineering at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.
I'm still a student and have not finished out my curriculum but from what I can predict, I will most likely use concepts I've learned in Circuit Analysis, Mechanics of Materials, Statics and Dynamics. Least useful would probably be English, Music, Art, Speech and other GE courses.
Definitely without a doubt. Your mind is your greatest gift - use it to its full extent and you'll never stop learning something new.
Someone who not only knows how to analyze, decompose and arrive at a solution to a problem, but someone with the hands on skills who knows what a practical, economical solution is.
Keep your head up and don't lose sight of the light the end of the tunnel.
A great option for prospective engineers is self-employment, of which I have taken advantage of. Along with their degree a lot of engineers get the skills and knowhow of what it takes to make an operation run as smoothly and efficiently as possible. After their engineering degree a lot of people go back to get their degree in business so they not only have the skills to make things work, they also know how to run a business. Some engineers take advantage of this and contract themselves out to other companies for part-time work.

Hope that helps some. Good luck with the project!

cockerpunk
04-23-2008, 09:59 PM
I come here because i know how awesome automags are. I have a hard time not loging on and searching though all the sweet pics of custom mags. The amount of custom work is amazing its hard to even find 2 mags that look the same. What Im trying to say is that someone is making this stuff that i keep buying and i want to hear from those people, or anyone related to any engineering field.

I am doing a project for my into to engineering class, focused mostly on mechanical engineers but would defiently like to hear from any field of engineering. I have interviewed several local machine shop owners with walk thoughs of their facilities. I am gathering information about the work involved in an engineering career. The information will be presented in front of the class, with photos of shops and descriptions of work done.

Thanks for any help, here is a list of questions, if you could copy/paste a pm with reply i would be grateful.
If you do not wish to answer any of the questions and would rather just write a bit about what you do that is fine too, just looking to gather information, the more the better.

QUESTIONS :

Fluids, thats what more than anythign else drove me to mechanical engineering.
MIE, mechanical and industrial engineering. like a dual degree in mechanical and manufaturing/quality/safety engineering
still in school. more than anything else i have learned tho, its how you think, more than what you know that determines a good engineer. i have a mediocre GPA, and i have beat out several 3.5 and above students in projects, design, and internships
solving problems is the most fun thing a person can do. that, and turning something you thought about into something you handle, and that has a fuction is as rewarding as ever.
at my internship, i work. most of the time i wouldn't even call it engineering. one minute i might be tweeking someones solidowrks model, the next on the phone with someone about the properties of such and such parts we plan to buy from someone else.
minnesota my home state has a huge market for engineers. no reason i would ahve to relocate
the best part is what i was talking about before, when you come up with an idea that solves all the problems, and its painfully simple. the worst part, dealing with non-engineers
i wouldn;t do a single thing differently, other than study harder on all those classes i didn;t blow away early on in colege
as i said before, its the way you think more than anything else. sometimes i would consider it a personality flaw more than anything else. your just weird, you think a certain way, everything in your head turns to velocity diagrams and "constraint" becomes a word you use in daily life.
study hard, get good grades, and find a girlfriend before junior year, cause thats the last you will see women.
i am an upper division mechanical engineering major, a senior in years, but a juniorish in the program. i have used what i know to open a paintball custom shop, bought my own mill and lathe and working in the industry for 6 months now.

^^^^

a short lesson in engineering - http://youtube.com/watch?v=6qDSvfpaGiI

Chrishew09
04-24-2008, 09:38 PM

QUESTIONS :

Since I was little I liked tinkering and understanding who things work
Electrical Engineering
All the core's are usefull the gen-ed's do no good
Doing actual engineering is awsome, the politics that you have to deal with in a company are a pain
I design all types of power products from cradial to the grave
Not me personally but some engineers deal with all the things you mentioned
Yes, I love designing. I would have finished school right out of high school and not taked night classes
Be a good engineer can not be learned our tought it's a skill that some people have and some dont.
Dont expect to get rich in this profession...

Just my 2cents

Big'n slo
04-25-2008, 11:01 AM
My take

QUESTIONS :

Loved designing and building stuff
Mechanical engineering, ended up in Civil
Programming, Excel, Trig and Geometry. Least useful = English
I love seeing a job go from design to constructed without a hitch, I hate it when we're sued because a contractor cannot work in metric.
Roadway, bridge and site design
Overtime. Actually we refer to it as halftime, not many of us are hourly but we're expected to complete our projects on time and that can mean long nights and weekends.
There's always a challenge/ There's always a challenge.
-Knowing what you know now about your profession, would you still choose to pursue it?
Yes
What would you do the same/differently?
Wouldn't do much differently, but would have liked to finish schooling earlier
Commitment to perfection and knowing when your out of your area of expertise.
Brilliance will get you far but modesty will keep your friends.

PumpPlayer
04-25-2008, 11:51 AM
QUESTIONS :

*Real name withheld over the internet*
Systems Engineer
American Bureau of Shipping

I did it for the women. Chicks dig engineers. :rolleyes:
In reality, I'd like to say that engineering is more of a state of mind than a diploma on your wall. You go to school to gain knowledge, yes, but the larger picture is that you learn to "think like an engineer." There's a certain umami about engineering that goes beyond just what you see on the surface. In your whole life, you would be fortunate to come up with one great design. One machine, one device that is so effective at what it does that it makes all other methods obsolete. A paperclip is brilliant in its simplicity and effectiveness. I went to school to study that, to learn to apreciate and emulate this brilliant, simple design. Anyone can crunch numbers but to truly solve a problem is engineering.

Marine engineering on both counts.

I realize now that all of them were not only useful, but essential. You will always learn something valuable if you're open to learning it. When you discount the value of a class, you're only destroying your own ability to learn.

Office life has its obvious downsides. Just read Dilbert. As for what is satisfying? I'm living the dream, man. I waited almost 22 years to be an adult, to have a job, to solve problems every day. IMHO, we should teach our kids the joy of responsibility instead of shackling them with dependency.

Review piping systems, fire safety and tanks/boilers/pressurized vessels for compliance. Issue comments, approval, stamp drawings, etc. Client consultation and being the only person in the office who can brew a decent pot of coffee.

Yes. Travel to various shipyards to witness testing, construction, etc. Maybe 4-6 weeks a year.
No overtime. Or rather, no paid overtime. You mean people get paid extra for working more than 40 hours a week? :rofl:
SNA symposiums are awesome! Luckily, we in the marine industry still like beer.
Haven't had to relocate yet but if I had to I probably would.

The best part about being an engineer is being an engineer. You're the problem-solver. People come to you for help constantly. Least? Answering questionaires. Actually, it's email.

Yup, no regrets at all. I wouldn't have wasted money on that iPod I bought a few years ago. I never use that thing anymore. As for the same - deffinitely go to school for free! Student loans are for suckas.

Humility, honesty and a sense of humor.

Everyone on this Earth has something to teach to everyone else. Never be too self-important that you forget to learn. English class is not a waste of your time. As for anyone on the fence about engineering? Don't do it for any other reason than because you want to. You have to love the process. There's no shame in trying it out and quitting, either.

School is a terrible atmosphere to learn in. You're basically a slave, you have no rights, no freedoms, nothing to contribute back to the organization. You're a pawn to the school and they just want your (or someone else's) money. Don't make the mistake of believing that the real world is anything at all like school.

Be courteous, humble and, above all, dedicated to doing the right thing. Ethics and honor are everything and it's far more applicable than you probably think it is. Trust your team. Nobody does this by themselves. Never trust the government. They will mess up everything that honest, intelligent people try to do. Do only what you must to appease them.

Most importantly, have a hobby. I mess with paintball guns and other machines and I brew beer. There's more to life than your job and it all ties together. From brewing, I've learned about water quality, microbial growth and sanitation. That absolutely applies when I review potable water systems. Always keep your eyes open for what you might learn next.

Answers in bold.

cockerpunk
04-25-2008, 02:12 PM
http://www.shapeable.com/living-the-dream.jpg

MoeMag
04-25-2008, 02:39 PM

I wanted to be a pilot, but I'm too tall.

Aerospace engineering. I am finishing up my engineering degree, but I work with a research team developing new bio fuels, where I help design the hardware needed for the research. I got the position because I have a strong background in biology due to a personal intrest, who would have thought that horses would help me with a job.

Most usefull... solid model CAD class, machine shop labs, and english 101.

Least usefull... all that other stuff.

MOST USEFUL PART OF SCHOOL: Dealing with the admissions office... cause dealing with suppliers and contractors is just as bad.

That im working on something usefull.

Start off with a breakfast meeting with the rest of the team at a cafe close to the site about 9am. Discuss whatever needs to be done that day, show off what we got done the day before, and just make sure everyone is on the same page. A lot of brainstorming goes on here. Then I usually sit in front of a computer working on some parts of the build prints, improving or modifying them. meet up for lunch with everyone. Then depending what we are doing, I help with the build, go deal with the accounting people, or drive around town to pick up supplys for the rest of the team.
And thats pretty much it. Usually once or twice a month we meet up for a beer or three at the end of a project.

We attend lots of seminars. We get to go put on the suits, and go listen to what the other people in the field are up to. For the most part they are local cause people come to us, but we have made a few day trips out of state for some of them. It’s actually a lot of fun. Usually good people, and fairly casual atmosphere, and guaranteed a good lunch with the occasional open bar if some big time name is there.

Its fun. I get to build things. there is nothing cooler than be able to design something in the morning and by the end of the day, have a working part in hand... and by the end of the week, something really cool.

I like it. I really didnt expect ending up doing what I am. But its just one of those things that pops up.

Being a little crazy. Being able to tell someone who says that wont work to shut up, then show up the next day with a working prototype... or at least admit you were wrong.

School sucks. Its all about who you know, and how well you can talk to people... okay and a little bit of engineering. In industry... if you have a problem, someone else who is a specialist knows the answer. Learn to pick up the phone, take them out to lunch, and find out what they know.

When you walk onto the job from school, Thats when the real education begins.