PDA

View Full Version : PM Spam? WTF?

AutoMaggerIX
04-25-2008, 02:08 PM
I just received this PM today from James2:

Hi,
I'm new here, how's it going?

"Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: it transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural & spiritual, and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things as a meaningful unity" - Albert Einstein

---
James

Why did I get this? :mad:

Looper
04-25-2008, 02:36 PM
I just received this PM today from James2:

Hi,
I'm new here, how's it going?

"Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: it transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural & spiritual, and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things as a meaningful unity" - Albert Einstein
---
James

Why did I get this? :mad:

Dependent Origination: Everything has a cause. A momentary existence occurs as it does because of a previous momentary existence, but the cause itself is also momentary. Dependent Origination combines the doctrines of momentariness and relative existence and is why in the Second Noble Truth desire and ignorance cause each other. That relationship can be expanded:

1. ignorance (avidyā), causes
2. impressions (samakāras), which cause
3. consciousness (vijńāna), which causes
4. mind-body (nāmarūpa), which causes
5. the sense organs (s.ad.āyatana), which cause
6. contact with objects (sparsha), which cause
7. experience (vedanā), which causes
8. desire (tr.s.n.ā), which causes
9. clinging (upādāna), which causes
10. the will to be born (bhāva), which causes
11. rebirth (jāti), which causes
12. suffering (jarāmaran.a), which in turn causes
13. ignorance (avidyā).

Nirvān.a is thus not the removal of an ultimate cause but the simultaneous removal of all causes, all of conditioned existence. The interpretation of Buddhist doctrine discussed above, that "suffering" is really more like unhappiness or dislocation, puts forward the notion that our understanding of Dependent Origination (now often called "Interdependent Arising") enables us to adjust to the world and thus live a happy and normal life. This may be a reasonable Mahāyāna or Japanese interpretation, but the point of the original teaching (the Third Noble Truth) is that Nirvān.a is to be attained by the removal of the causes of suffering, which means the entire system of causation in Dependent Origination -- to be free of the world, not adjusted to it. The normal in this world is what the Buddha wanted to avoid.

Does that help...