PDA

View Full Version : PDA phones are crazy nuts

bornl33t
04-26-2008, 05:28 AM
So for those of you that didn't know I'm really nutty when it comes to phones. I use verizon as a carrier and have been increasingly irritated with their proprietary software that limits features and is not intutive in the least. My second to the last phone was a motorola which lent it self to hacking very well, but succumed to lack of durability like every motorola I've owned. My last phone was a flipshot, and while it was a good phone it was setup to cost me money for messaging etc.
Now I've been eyeing those PDAs for a while and decided to try one. I've been seriously missing out! In the 3 weeks I've owned this thing I've loaded WIFI locators, game emulators, google maps, even skype! This thing is incredible! Even though browsing websites is a little different it becomes natural in no time and some guy just created a flash driver so I can enjoy youtube.
I highly recommend you try one out! Heck, I'm posting this from my phone!

trevorjk
04-26-2008, 08:46 AM
i still hate verizon, but im not paying the phone bill so i guess ill live :(

Empyreal Rogue
04-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Which model did you get?

beam
04-26-2008, 05:55 PM
A lot of sites have PDA versions that are formatted to render well on the small screens. Shoot even AO has a PDA version...love it!

bornl33t
04-27-2008, 02:10 PM
samsung i760

My wife graduated collage yesterday and after two days of running around I managed to forget the camera for her stage walk. So I though what the heck I'll try the 1.3 meg camera on the phone and I'm actually impressed with the quality. I can't says it's comparable to a flipshot but it's gotta be one of the best 1 meg cameras I've seen.

Last night I got it to stream local radio!
Anyway, today I'm on a mission to find a torrent app for it ;)

chafnerjr
04-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Written from my iPhone :cheers:

BREAD_DA_PAINTER
04-27-2008, 03:25 PM
im a PDA adict also... I use att and for the last 6 months I have used the 8925 tilt pda and as u love it... I started using blackberries of different models when I first got into texting a lot, then I got the 8525 from att and have not looked back sence... this phone does more stuff than I will ever need it for... I do things I haven't done before just so I can use another feature on my phone... now how addicted is that..... im on my pda on the internet more than I am a pc.... I have become use to the smaller screen, and I like mine because it has a full slide out keyboard... with all other functions... I had been thinking of down grading mine just so I wouldn't be on it as much but I have changed my mind on that one...

this post was all from my pda....

bornl33t
04-27-2008, 03:45 PM
here's a couple for beam

http://www.e-sword.net/pocketpc/downloads.html

http://www.thestreamcenter.com/pda/?state=IA

I had to choose between the I phone from at&t of my sammy from verizon and I definitely made the right choose. Verizon is in the process of rolling out a 30$ a month unlimited data plan. It's available for certain smart phones already, we ppc users are crossing our finger!
I'm a cheapskate and would have never paid for cell phone data plans but I moved to the country and my cell phone is my internet access. I usually have it connected to the laptop but started to experiment and now use both regularly. Once quest gets out here I'll probably keep the data plan IF they can reduce it to 30$ as opposed to the 60$ I pay now.

drg
04-28-2008, 06:25 AM
My only complaint about PDA phones these days is the PDA hardware took a substantial step backward from the heyday of the power-PDA, ostensibly in the quest to make a smaller device/make room for the radios.

I especially decry the loss of high-resolution screens; my last standalone PDA had a VGA screen with dedicated 16MB 3D accelerator ... no PDA phone has even come close to that kind of multimedia power since. It also had fullsize SD and CF slots but I doubt those will ever re-appear on PDAs :(

My current PDAphone is a PPC-6700. Look into Orb and TCPMP ... fantastic stuff.

Oh! And the single most useful piece of software for Windows Mobile phones: WM5NewMenu http://www.saman-cz.com/ppc/index.html