PDA

View Full Version : Tom's Tech Tips

snoopay700
04-27-2008, 02:00 AM
Well i accidentally clicked this by accident and so i figured i'd read it again since i was bored, and on the one about barrel efficiency i was surprised to see just how off Tom was (and this isn't an attack on him, just correcting a mistake). He said that a ball experiences an acceleration of 50000ft/s^2 (or so i'm assuming that he meant that) and it experiences 1500 G's, and while the numbers aren't quite there, i found that the numbers are still pretty dang amazing. It's acceleration is 4500ft/s^2 and it experiences about 140 G's. I dunno, he invited someone to do the math, and i have nothing better to do, so i'm hoping i'm not the only one who finds these numbers fascinating and realize how extreme conditions a paintball experiences.

2BAD4U
04-27-2008, 02:32 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Dark Side
04-27-2008, 08:07 AM
He is telling you the Gforces involved in going 0-200 MPH in .2 seconds. Just imagine it. It is pretty extreme.

Old School 626
04-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Snoop,

You may want to include the variables that you used in your post and/or the equation. Sounds to be that you are using differing base assumptions.

AGD
04-27-2008, 10:53 AM
I bet your coming up with those numbers based on a linear acceleration. The accel is NOT linear. I was quoting those numbers off the top of my head so they could be off, but for sure the paintball accelerates at more than 140 g's.

AGD

snoopay700
04-27-2008, 11:13 AM
I bet your coming up with those numbers based on a linear acceleration. The accel is NOT linear. I was quoting those numbers off the top of my head so they could be off, but for sure the paintball accelerates at more than 140 g's.

AGD
Really wish there was a smiley banging it's head right now, because i didn't even think of that, i was using linear acceleration and under ideal conditions, but it would make sense that it wouldn't be linear. I really put my foot in my mouth on this one, i thought it was weird that my numbers were so off. Well i was hoping that you'd respond and give me some insight, so thanks for that.

AGD
04-27-2008, 11:22 AM
You are forgiven my child :) :)

But really, its good that you questioned it and bravo for actually doing the research. Of the thousands of people who have read about our research, your one of a dozen that have actually tried to look into the specifics of it.

AGD

snoopay700
04-27-2008, 11:24 AM
You are forgiven my child :) :)
:)

Yeah, i just did the math again for average acceleration and found that you were spot on. Oh well, i suppose we all make mistakes and i'm no exception.

warpig13
04-27-2008, 11:42 AM
:)
Oh well, i suppose we all make mistakes and i'm no exception.

Expect Tom obviously.

snoopay700
04-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Expect Tom obviously.
So it would appear, that's the main reason i've always trusted this guy's research on stuff and now will continue to do so.

DanMan
04-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Well i accidentally clicked this by accident and so i figured i'd read it again since i was bored, and on the one about barrel efficiency i was surprised to see just how off Tom was (and this isn't an attack on him, just correcting a mistake). He said that a ball experiences an acceleration of 50000ft/s^2 (or so i'm assuming that he meant that) and it experiences 1500 G's, and while the numbers aren't quite there, i found that the numbers are still pretty dang amazing. It's acceleration is 4500ft/s^2 and it experiences about 140 G's. I dunno, he invited someone to do the math, and i have nothing better to do, so i'm hoping i'm not the only one who finds these numbers fascinating and realize how extreme conditions a paintball experiences.
I calculated the spring constant for the spring in a lvl 7 bolt for a project im my physics class. so yeah I find this pretty cool too :headbang:

snoopay700
04-29-2008, 07:16 PM
I calculated the spring constant for the spring in a lvl 7 bolt for a project im my physics class. so yeah I find this pretty cool too :headbang:
Yeah, i've actually thought about doing something like that lol, for some reason i find this stuff interesting.