PDA

View Full Version : Had a great day today.....

punkncat
04-27-2008, 09:04 PM
I took some advice and decided to tone my game or should I say desire down some. I went out today and played some very low key rec ball. I mean REALLY low key. It was a slow day already because it was raining a little, and I went to a local field that pretty much specializes in rec ball and new players. There was a small party there of some kids who had all but one maybe played a few games. I asked if they minded if I joined in and they were ok with it.
I really enjoyed it because rather than actually playing much, I did a whole lot more directing and helping the new players make more of their game. A buddy that I rode down with took the other side and we both had one heck of a time.
I took my Angel G7 put it on semi and slapped a revi on it. I actually used less than 500 balls on field all day. I never carried a pack with and played about three or four games off one hopper full of paint. The Angel did really well. I am glad I got it back. I had forgotten just how much I enjoy that marker. Never even got around to pulling out my Mag which I had taken intending to use it all day.

There was another team whom we play against in the GFOA down just goofing off today as well. I joined in a few games with them as well. They had broken out their Spyders and such and were just funning around working on snap shooting and crazy moves. It was actually quite humorous when one of them actually tried to hop over the snake in the middle of a snap shooting contest between myself and he.....in another game with them, I had tried to move on one of the guys right as he was moving and we both suprized each other. He pops out and I am limping across the field, he does a double take like "what the heck is he doing?" right about the time as I am realizing he is not where I thought he was. We both started mowing at one another and we are both using old tourney paint so we are catching bounce after bounce, just shooting and having to look and see if anything broke....one of those had to be there moments I guess, but it was pretty funny at the time.

I am going to make this a habit for a while and just see if I can just have a good time rather than being concerned about performance.

KevinA
04-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Sounds like you had a damn good time, so does this mean that you won't be quitting?

michbich
04-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Glad you had a good time. So you decided to stick arround for a little while more? :cheers:

punkncat
04-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Sounds like you had a damn good time, so does this mean that you won't be quitting?

I have decided to wait a while before I make any decision on it. I am going to scale back my play some until I get a bit further along in my recovery. I think I have been overdoing it a bit and am setting unrealistic goals for myself. I am going to let it ride for a while and see where it goes.

sandfreestyle
04-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Playing a little walk on always helps me.

aqua_scummm
04-28-2008, 01:30 AM
I only play recball these days, its the only way to enjoy the sport.

This last weekend I made a run through, got one guy out, and him and his bunker buddy both shot me. I know I got one first, but the ref called me out and let them stay in.

I didn't argue it, I didn't protest, I didn't care. I'm not there to win, I am out there to have fun and do what I can do. If the ref saw something wrong, why raise my blood pressure about it? It's just a game.

I did mention it to the ref later, after play was done, not in a "you're wrong" way, but in a "I am pretty sure I got that guy out" way... and he was totally cool about it, admitting my run had kinda come at the wrost possible time and he didn't see much...

So yeah, people need to stop taking themselves so seriously. I've seen a few local teams almost get in phyiscal fights with walk-on renters over thinking each other was cheating, when neither was. It's a game.

KevinA
04-28-2008, 01:35 AM
So yeah, people need to stop taking themselves so seriously. It's a game.
QFT

Never played any tourney ball, but I notice alot of wound up people in rec play over here (could be that were on an island?)

mostpeople
04-28-2008, 01:41 AM
well im glad you had a good day today

I think due to your current situation your game should now use your previous experience, and knowledge to lead other people in rec/woodsball/scenario play. You can make a huge difference there coming out of the speedball scene.

Dont give up the speedball, but don't play it for performance either..

druid
04-28-2008, 02:09 AM
I took some advice and decided to tone my game or should I say desire down some. I went out today and played some very low key rec ball. I mean REALLY low key. It was a slow day already because it was raining a little, and I went to a local field that pretty much specializes in rec ball and new players. There was a small party there of some kids who had all but one maybe played a few games. I asked if they minded if I joined in and they were ok with it.
I really enjoyed it because rather than actually playing much, I did a whole lot more directing and helping the new players make more of their game. A buddy that I rode down with took the other side and we both had one heck of a time.
I took my Angel G7 put it on semi and slapped a revi on it. I actually used less than 500 balls on field all day. I never carried a pack with and played about three or four games off one hopper full of paint. The Angel did really well. I am glad I got it back. I had forgotten just how much I enjoy that marker. Never even got around to pulling out my Mag which I had taken intending to use it all day.

There was another team whom we play against in the GFOA down just goofing off today as well. I joined in a few games with them as well. They had broken out their Spyders and such and were just funning around working on snap shooting and crazy moves. It was actually quite humorous when one of them actually tried to hop over the snake in the middle of a snap shooting contest between myself and he.....in another game with them, I had tried to move on one of the guys right as he was moving and we both suprized each other. He pops out and I am limping across the field, he does a double take like "what the heck is he doing?" right about the time as I am realizing he is not where I thought he was. We both started mowing at one another and we are both using old tourney paint so we are catching bounce after bounce, just shooting and having to look and see if anything broke....one of those had to be there moments I guess, but it was pretty funny at the time.

I am going to make this a habit for a while and just see if I can just have a good time rather than being concerned about performance.

Punkn...I'm not trying to re-hash or harp on your loss but I think you have found your calling since your accident. I really mean that. You've been debating giving up all together but in my mind, you could be doing something else and this might be it. Give tech classes and safety speeches...teach them the ethics and tactics we once used. Show them that a disability won't stop the hunger for a passion. You can be their role model.

trevorjk
04-28-2008, 09:14 AM
now all you gotta wait for Punk is the time your helping out the 6 new kids on your team, and send them to a bunker saying that they will be ok. but as they move they get lit up. that is such a bad feeling :( :p

KevinA
04-28-2008, 09:44 AM
now all you gotta wait for Punk is the time your helping out the 6 new kids on your team, and send them to a bunker saying that they will be ok. but as they move they get lit up. that is such a bad feeling :( :p
I know this a horrible thing for me to be amused by, but... I just can't help but laugh at the thought of it.... :rolleyes: Something bad is going to happen to me...

DevilMan
04-28-2008, 10:00 AM

I'm with ya on that one Trevor!!!! And Yes Kevin chances are it something bad will happen to all of us.

I made it out with Z, MightyMike and a few others yesterday for some good recball play. And I know what you guys mean when you are out there and in the back you can see that if the kid would move up to the right bunker he'd be in safe and be able to push the other guy on the other side out into the open. But when you try to tell em/make em run up and they are scared and won't go and you finally get em talked into it and are like... "GO!! I"LL COVER YOU!!!" And they step out and catch a ball in a soft part you're like, "DOH!!! Sorry lil buddy..." :D And the chances of them listening to you again are slim to none.

Then you figure that you need to be up front trying to show them what to do and where to go and all but you never know where they are behind you... :D Some games I've played and been up or past the 50 and get tagged out and as I'm comin off notice that there are still guys back at the first bunker from the start station... (Mainly when Z is out there... :rofl: )

But BOT... Punk!!! Congrats man!!! And it's an evolution I think of what good PB'rs go through. Not saying that those that don't play rec aren't good PB'rs but it goes along the lines of there are people who RIDE motorcycles. And there are MOTORCYCLISTS. Some are just more into it than others. Glad you had a good day and hope that you keep on keepin on.

DM

JesseB
04-28-2008, 10:05 AM
stick with it man there is always something you can do in this sport.

pmstc
04-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Haha awesome. Out of curiosity, which field was it?

cyberave68
04-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Glad to see you found another way you can enjoy the game. Its nice to help out the little guys sometimes. And then to hear them talking to each other an saying they had a great time. keep it up Punky, you'll have your own Jr. scenario team in no time...lol

drg
04-28-2008, 02:40 PM
This is good to hear! I had a bit of a coaching-kids moment myself this weekend as well.

wetwrks
04-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Dude, that's funny. This is exactly what I was talking about. Play for the fun of it. Back off and enjoy the game and eventually you will get back up to speed. :clap:

thegrayghost
04-28-2008, 06:25 PM
punkncat, glad you had a great time...i play just about only scenerio, and enjoy it all...you are a leader/teacher and will be just fine...thegrayghost...

ThePixelGuru
04-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Good to hear you got out there and enjoyed yourself. Always sucks when someone loses something they enjoy due to injury.

grEnAlEins
04-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Good for you man. Glad to hear you were able to get back out on the field. :headbang:

aqua_scummm
04-29-2008, 12:16 AM
Just found out about your accident! Glad you're still playing, stick with it!

Have you read about pegleg/sugarstump/Dale Price yet? http://www.peglegpaintball.com/about.html He posts on MCB a lot under sugarstump, I am sure he'd be up for chatting if you need an ear

He also played pump at NPPL Huntington Beach...

Best of luck with the recovery, keep playing and having fun! http://www.printroom.com/ViewGalleryPhoto.asp?userid=robertarthur&gallery_id=1017584&tcount=412&scount=257

pyrodragon
04-29-2008, 06:48 AM
we have a saying on our team, "Play for the game not the fame" all of our members of our team help out with recuiting new players to the game, safety and having fun. it's fun pulling out our markers (which some run upwards of $700) and the kids jaws drop, especially when you hand it to them or even more is when their marker goes down and you loan them your main marker to play with. i'm nowhere near the best player in the world but if i give someone a chance to enjoy the sport i will in a heartbeat. just to give you a little background on myself, i am a type one diabetic. in the course of a day of recball i have to pay attention to how my body is reacting to the way i am playing. but in no way do i allow it to stop me playing unless i know its at it's point. i have pulled myself out of games because i am putting myself at risk. so i take a break, ref a few games or just relaxed and get ready for the next go round. sometimes the most rewarding feeling is knowing you had fun and you made another person day enjoyable.

punkncat
04-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Just found out about your accident! Glad you're still playing, stick with it!

Have you read about pegleg/sugarstump/Dale Price yet? http://www.peglegpaintball.com/about.html He posts on MCB a lot under sugarstump, I am sure he'd be up for chatting if you need an ear

He also played pump at NPPL Huntington Beach...

Best of luck with the recovery, keep playing and having fun! http://www.printroom.com/ViewGalleryPhoto.asp?userid=robertarthur&gallery_id=1017584&tcount=412&scount=257

Yes I am familiar with Dale, he is among a group I look up to a lot and hope like heck to be able to emulate.

I am glad to know that he posts on MCB and will certainly look him up. Thanks.