PDA

View Full Version : Wondering if I'm getting bolt stick

pbrules15
04-28-2008, 09:50 PM
I recently got a minimag, my first mag so I'm no genius. I've played a game or two with it, and once in a while, perhaps every 200 rounds or so the bolt jams in the forward position, or it will start leaking out the barrel for a while. As far as the leak goes, all I have to do is, shut off the air, gas it back up again and the leak stops (I'm using co2, all I have access to). Also, the leak quites down if I hold down the trigger, but it does not stop completely. For the bolt, I've got to degas it, remove the valve assembly, and re-position the bolt. Do I need to get a spacer kit and try new spacers? Or, perhaps the o-rings are old, and just need to be replaced. I plan to get a parts kit for it and replace all the seals, but I'm not sure if that would fix the bolt problem as well. Any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

-Ron

garbageman705
04-28-2008, 10:39 PM
If you hold down the trigger and it still leaks then I would replace at least the top teflon o-ring. Why stop there though, the valve is so simple even an 8th grader could get it apart and rebuild it. A parts kit would be a good investment, also, make sure you grease the spring pack and regulator adjustment nut threads after you clean it.

athomas
04-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Do you have a level 10 bolt or a level 7 bolt? What is the age of your gun?

It sounds like you are getting bolt stick.

On a level 10 it is most often it is caused by a carrier that is too tight. When you hold the trigger after a shot it will continue to leak for a few seconds and then eventually stop. If it continues to leak you have a bad on-off top oring.

On a level 7 it is often caused by a powertube spacer that is too short. When you hold the trigger, it will stop leaking almost immediately. If it continues to leak (psst - psst -psst like a lawn sprinkler) then you have a bad on-off top oring.

Both setups require a good bolt spring. A weak bolt spring can cause bolt stick, but it usually resets itself in this case.

pbrules15
04-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Do you have a level 10 bolt or a level 7 bolt? What is the age of your gun?

It sounds like you are getting bolt stick.

On a level 10 it is most often it is caused by a carrier that is too tight. When you hold the trigger after a shot it will continue to leak for a few seconds and then eventually stop. If it continues to leak you have a bad on-off top oring.

On a level 7 it is often caused by a powertube spacer that is too short. When you hold the trigger, it will stop leaking almost immediately. If it continues to leak (psst - psst -psst like a lawn sprinkler) then you have a bad on-off top oring.

Both setups require a good bolt spring. A weak bolt spring can cause bolt stick, but it usually resets itself in this case.

I've got a level 7 bolt, the gun is not too old, I would not guess over 3 years, but I do not know the original owner to see for sure. When I hold down the trigger, for the most part it stops leaking, however it does have a hiss every second or two.

Also, just to let you know, (note: on co2) if I turn the gun upside down and fire, I immediately get the problem, and the only way to fix it is to degas, and start over. So I'm thinking it's the liquid co2 getting in the valve. Perhaps a new Teflon will not help? I'm thinking maybe running remote will stop this from ever happening.

-Ron

Ruler_Mark
04-30-2008, 09:43 PM
a oring might be done for on the inside form liquid co2

athomas
05-01-2008, 07:05 AM
Turning the gun upside down probably does allow liquid into the gun which would freeze the top on-off oring. It sounds like the top teflon oring is bad and needs replacing anyway. If this oring is bad, it causes air to come into the chamber before the bolt is back. This could cause the bolt from properly resetting, especially with a weakened bolt spring or a powertube spacer that is a bit short.. You should replace the bolt spring too. It is a consumable item on mags.

My first fix would be the teflon oring.