PDA

View Full Version : What tank reg?

DanMan
04-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Ok, I know that the general consensus is that centerflag ajustables and max flows are the best tank regs for mags. However, I want a screw in but am unsure about the quality of the PEs at the local pb shop. I am currently looking at the myth and cp regs. I have a pneumag so that is why i am not as conserned about reactivity.
any thoughts?

d4m4don3
04-29-2008, 06:57 PM
The next best thing is cross fire or guerilla air at the moment. Nitroduck is in limbo, Centerflag disappeared and I can't really recommend smart parts as a principle.

DanMan
04-29-2008, 07:03 PM
so you are saying that the myth is a good buy? It is hp right?

punkncat
04-29-2008, 07:07 PM
The Myth is REALLY short so unless your asa sticks out the back so to speak you will have trouble threading it in. GREAT reg for the price.
Crossfire regs are nice.

DanMan
04-29-2008, 07:18 PM
so would you say that it can keep up with a mag ok? Also, my local store owner says that "A pure energy can keep up with an ego at 40bps" but I have heard that PEs are not that good with mags, so who is right?

visor
04-29-2008, 07:21 PM
The Myth Reg outputs at 650PSI so it might not be a great choice for a mag.

DanMan
04-29-2008, 07:34 PM
The Myth Reg outputs at 650PSI so it might not be a great choice for a mag.

NOOOOO :cry: :cry: :cry:
there goes that idea
so a hp crossfire is the best bet then?

sdawg
04-29-2008, 08:29 PM
I got an e-mail from GA in December 2007 stating that their high pressure Myth regs output 800-850psi.

visor
04-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Well nobody I know has a Myth that is anything but 650PSI. They are considered mid pressure. I will e-mail GA tomorrow to see if things have changed.

Hexis
04-29-2008, 09:05 PM
I have had a lot of luck with my Crossfire hp regs. I have a flatline 4500 and some old AA stuff. The CF is just as consistent (completely subjective: not actually tested), just not adjustable.

RA1N1ER
04-29-2008, 11:55 PM
nitroduck adjustable reg upto 900(or is it 950 ???)... been pretty lucky with one..

longi
04-30-2008, 12:13 AM
The Centerflag Hyperflow reg is excelent, if you hunt around for one you can still get them. They have one of the highest flow rates if not the highest flow rate of any reg. You'll be able to bounce the trigger all day long!!! There's still on available here...

http://www.airsoldier.com:8080/cgi-bin/mivavm?Merchant2/merchant.mvc+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AOS&Product_Code=CF-420&Category_Code=REGULATORS

Far more relaible than a PE reg. In 6 years of ownership my reg has never once given me any troulbe. In fact Tomahawk sell them as a rebranded reg. Mine worked a real treat in my Pnuemag until i moved over to an adjustable reg.

Enemy
04-30-2008, 02:30 AM
i have not enjoyed my PE reg when i put on my x mag but i havent tried using that gun sinc i bought my centerflag and crossfire... i will say this though the PE regs are just not up to the same quality as the crossfire and centerflags

on a side note it really is a shame centerflag dissovled.

xxkylexx
04-30-2008, 08:17 AM
Get a Crossfire or Centerflag 420. The PE regs blow...

B-Pow
04-30-2008, 09:21 AM
A quick note on PE quality, I lurked on Angel owners for a while and still ocasionally do. Those guns require a low output tank do to the design of the HPR. Some people were experiencing dammage and inconsistancy in their guns when using PE low pressure regs. They put the reg on an asa with a gadge just to check and some of the regs were getting in the range of 700-1000 psi output...when they were and are listed at 450psi output. That has been a regular problem for them and it's made me never want to buy their products again.

I have a crossfire, great price, amazing flow. Only complaint is that the gadge in the regulator is gigantic...to the point that I have to slide my rail ASA off my drop to screw it in then re-mount the ASA because the gadge hits the drop and won't screw in. Granted I use a CP micro razor...so it's not a large drop...and requires the user to remove the fill nipple cover at the very least with any reg. I've been looking to replace the reg with a centerflag but....they are AWOL, maybe I'll just pay some airsmith to change the gadge to something smaller...or gurilla air something.

Braxo
04-30-2008, 10:07 AM
What happened to Nitroduck? I'm looking to buy one of their regs with the drop-in adjustable kit, but I can't find the adjustable pins anywhere.

And also, can nitroduck regs fit on anytank? How about Smart Parts Micro max-flo? Do they all use the same threading for tanks?

bryceeden
04-30-2008, 11:43 AM
NOOOOO :cry: :cry: :cry:
there goes that idea
so a hp crossfire is the best bet then?

The Myth also comes in a HP that works great with mags. Crossfire and Pure Energy preform about the same and are both quite good, I've used both VERY extensively. Most of the Pure Energy problem storys are just like the Mag problem storys as in people just made them up or they come from old tanks befor all the bugs got worked out or just stupid people. People forget that they are a high pressure tank and require a LP kit to be low pressure they don't come LP.

I very highly recommend the Myth, awsome reg but it is short so the back of your ASA has to be atleast flush with the back of your grip.

criscoffey
10-27-2008, 10:21 AM
I had a crossfire which worked great but it broke when an idiot who was re-testing my bottle lost a piece from the inside. I was forced to buy a pure energy because it was the night before a scenario game and my RT has never shot worse. First 2 shots, great, everything after, terrible. The reg is high pressure because it can drive the RT but the flow cant keep up with successive shots. I am looking for a new tank now and I guess I will be going with another crossfire due to previous experience, the posts on this board, and the fact that centerflag is gone.

B-Pow
10-27-2008, 02:26 PM
I had a crossfire which worked great but it broke when an idiot who was re-testing my bottle lost a piece from the inside. I was forced to buy a pure energy because it was the night before a scenario game and my RT has never shot worse. First 2 shots, great, everything after, terrible. The reg is high pressure because it can drive the RT but the flow cant keep up with successive shots. I am looking for a new tank now and I guess I will be going with another crossfire due to previous experience, the posts on this board, and the fact that centerflag is gone.

You may not need a whole new tank. If your current tank is good call crossfire and see if you can get just the regulator and re-use your current tank. Might save a few dollars.

behemoth
10-27-2008, 02:46 PM

How is it the regs fault because some idiot lost something while re-testing (still not sure how that one would have happened, but whatever.)

Crossfire are good regs.

Myths make HP Spring kits.

Other guerilla regs are good.

Old Centerflag / Air America are good.

PE Regs suck, and now you learned this the hardway.

Ruler_Mark
10-27-2008, 03:08 PM
the new DXS regs preform good.

cf ftw.

my crossfire always blew out the burst disk monthly, im not kidding. they are good preformers but a bit heavy.

Myth's make that humming noise.

behemoth
10-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Crossfires have the output bursts on them.

Most tanks only have a burst if its overfilled.
CF's have another burst so that if the regulator fails, it wont pump 4500 into your gun.

Some kid had a myth take a dump on him, and his HPR blew up....

Another reason i wont rock a myth...

Spider-TW
10-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Myth's make that humming noise.
I love machines that make a little noise so that you can tell how they are working. When they stop humming, that can be bad. I still play with a crown point barrel sometimes just for the ping. :)

Ruler_Mark
10-27-2008, 03:59 PM

CF's have another burst so that if the regulator fails, it wont pump 4500 into your gun.

I know, it was the 1st disk the one that blows at 7.5k, this was for a 4500psi

B-Pow
10-27-2008, 04:21 PM

With Centerflag AWOL :cry: finding a nice high quality high preformance reg with excellent customer service is harder. However I have been satisfied with the crossfire product, and it has an output burst disk as well, much like the centerflag model. I'd have to check my tank at home to tell you when the output burst disc will blow (I think 1k maybe for the lp regs) but I am certian the input is at 7.5K for the 4.5k tanks.

DanMan
10-27-2008, 05:03 PM
wow, talk about thread resurrection! I ended up with the pe and have not had trouble, but i also have a pneumag, so the rt wasnt as important.

Dirge
10-27-2008, 06:19 PM
With a pnu, pressure isn't so much the concern, (so long that it is 800+) it's the recharge. Your feeding two regs. One is Very hungry and will steal air from the other (had this happen with a Dye). Glad to know the PE is a viable option.

criscoffey
10-28-2008, 12:40 PM
How is it the regs fault because some idiot lost something while re-testing (still not sure how that one would have happened, but whatever.)

Crossfire are good regs.

Myths make HP Spring kits.

Other guerilla regs are good.

Old Centerflag / Air America are good.

PE Regs suck, and now you learned this the hardway.

I do not blame the original crossfire reg for the first failure. I loved that reg and my RT was smokin when using that reg. :shooting: I just never should have let the local guy work on it. I also should not have bought the PE reg. Looks like its back to the crossfire. Thanks for the advice on trying to just get the regulator, I may give that a shot. Hopefully I can just send them my tank and let them do it. Thanks again for all the advice.

behemoth
10-28-2008, 02:16 PM
I do not blame the original crossfire reg for the first failure. I loved that reg and my RT was smokin when using that reg. :shooting: I just never should have let the local guy work on it. I also should not have bought the PE reg. Looks like its back to the crossfire. Thanks for the advice on trying to just get the regulator, I may give that a shot. Hopefully I can just send them my tank and let them do it. Thanks again for all the advice.

I would have made the person who wrecked my tank buy me a new reg, or fix it.

If they didnt, atleast take it and send it to crossfire for a rebuild?

madcrisis
10-28-2008, 08:51 PM
what are some goodsites to buy just tank regs? and do all tanks have the same threads forregulators?
?

B-Pow
10-29-2008, 10:27 AM
what are some goodsites to buy just tank regs? and do all tanks have the same threads forregulators?
?

All paintball specific regulators should have the same threading if I'm not mistaken.

As far as just buying the regulators, that is harder. The "saftey consensus" is that players do not have the training or intellegence to install/remove/service their own tank regulators. I agree because 14 year old jonny paintball should not be trying to be a armchair airsmith when his experiment could severly dammage or kill someone. Most companies will sell one if you eather call and tell them you are having an airsmith do the swap, or they will let you mail the tank in for work..if that dosn't work have the airsmith that you would have do the work call in. I won't try to remove my own tank regs if they have never been removed before because I lack the tools to safely get if off from how the factory mounts it (torque or a locking compound like lock-tite).

Basically getting a tank regulator with the degree of annomity that the internet provides is frowned apon and none of the companies I know of will do it. Call up and ask what you need to do to get one.

behemoth
10-29-2008, 11:06 AM
?

I think Compulsive sells Just regs, i could be wrong.

Call the company of the reg you want, and ask how much for a reg, solo.

And yes, threading should be standard.

StygShore
10-29-2008, 11:33 AM
call up crossfire, take advantage of thier reg swap program - problem solved

Styg

Pneumagger
10-29-2008, 11:54 AM
I would have made the person who wrecked my tank buy me a new reg, or fix it.

If they didnt, I'd hide the body and then send it back to crossfire for a rebuild?
fixed

Spider-TW
10-29-2008, 12:24 PM
call up crossfire, take advantage of thier reg swap program - problem solved

Styg
ftw. That deal is tempting on a PE that isn't giving me trouble and is only half way to hydro.

criscoffey
10-30-2008, 06:27 AM
I just talked to someone at Crossfire and they said their standard high pressure tank is preset to about 800 PSI but if I called in and ordered one directly from them, that they could customize the output pressure up to 900psi at no extra charge so it would be perfect for the RT. He said if it ends up a bit too low or too high, that I could ship it back to them again and for about $10 the could customize it again. How is that for customer service. They will also swap regulators on an old tank for you if you send it in.