PDA

View Full Version : New Bob Long Marq Engine

bryceeden
04-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Well, Bob has finnally released the new Gen 2 Marq engine. It is designed to nearly double the shots per fill and enable the Marq to shoot close to a case off of a 68/4500 fill. It also claims to reduce recoil, although given that the Marq has no real felt recoil I don't know how it would.

Here are some pics, Its compleatly redesigned(the new engine is the one on the right with the metal bolt)

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff17/legpress83/DSC03941.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff17/legpress83/DSC03943.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i160/alphanu22/BobLong/Motor06.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x309/fuel83/marq-new-engine.gif

I haven't used one yet, but the Bob Long forums now resemble here when the level 10 came out. Its suppost to be amazing.

surfbum
04-30-2008, 02:35 PM
i just ordered mine yesterday, from what i've been hearing, its well worth the money

Artimis
04-30-2008, 04:20 PM
I've had mine since NPPL HB. It is noticeably more efficient..........there is a difference in the sound signature as well. It is a bit quieter and makes more of a "ping" sound (they also added a rear bumper to the ram which accounts for this).

I don't notice any difference in kick as far as the amount. However, the weight of the new engine is different. The moving mass is centered around the bolt so it does have a different feel to it when firing. I wouldn't say more or less in terms of how much kick, just the location of where you mostly feel it.

One thing is for sure, the change in moving mass will cause the gun to bounce like crazy if you aren't using a decent trigger return spring or magnet........I don't see how it is possible to go only with the microswitch and no spring anymore. Your debounce would have to be ridiculously high. Then again, I'll have to see if that is still the case when my CF trigger gets here.

Chronobreak
04-30-2008, 05:52 PM
improvements are nice but sometimes i have to wonder if this kinda of stuff is an afterthought and discovered with tuning and playing with things or if they plan future upgrades so your buying more than a base marker.

not accusing anyone of anything just food for thought

bryceeden
04-30-2008, 06:38 PM
improvements are nice but sometimes i have to wonder if this kinda of stuff is an afterthought and discovered with tuning and playing with things or if they plan future upgrades so your buying more than a base marker.

Given how different this design is I don't think it was discovered thru tuning, as for the other options I don't know.

pump
05-02-2008, 08:24 AM
wow almost like a nelson power tube

what did the old one look like internally?

bryceeden
05-05-2008, 09:49 AM
wow almost like a nelson power tube

what did the old one look like internally?
The old one is the one with the black bolt, the one on top in the pic of the two exploded.

l8p
07-31-2009, 03:20 PM
I was talking to Bob Long Direct, man they are busy with the Victory. It is a small shop, 1100 paintballs per 68/45, ain't bad for a tourney marker. I'm sure the Proficiency evolved thereafter, in their pursuit of eXcellence. My 2 cents.

Newt
07-31-2009, 07:38 PM

I have no problem with planned obsolescence. Nearly every profitable car/bike/paintball/software company engineers that into their marketing plan. The product they're selling is not necessarily a car/bike/paintball/software, but the simple idea that you have the latest and greatest.

Nobody forces people to keep spending money on new stuff. If you're like me, you happily drive a '97 car and shoot an automag that was made before you knew what paintball was.

That said...
Having done a LOT of R&D for my own company, my guess is that Bob Long had a better idea, and he's making it available. I don't know either system well, but this probably draws a lot of concepts from the new valve on his new Victory marker.