PDA

View Full Version : Body Finishes

dre1919
05-01-2008, 05:04 PM
What kind of finishes can be applied to a standard Minimag body? I'm assuming the only thing you can do is have it powder coated, isn't that correct? What exactly is the makeup of a Minimag body anyway? I've always thought of it as Teflon coated stainless steel, but I could very well be wrong. Anyone know?

Thanks,
Andrew

ElPanda
05-01-2008, 06:32 PM
99% sure its SS

also 99% sure you cant anno SS, I think steel flakes when it oxidizes (which is a step in the anno proccess)

powder coating should be fine though

michbich
05-01-2008, 07:10 PM
I don't know about that teflon coated, maybe with the black bodies but definatly not with the grey ones. With the grey bodies, they are SS. You can't ano it. You can powdercoat or paint it. Be careful with powdercoat, it can add a little too much material and mess with the tolerances.

dre1919
05-01-2008, 08:11 PM
So you can actually paint it without it being truly ghetto?

Andrew

michbich
05-01-2008, 08:23 PM
I guess it depends on your painting skills.

pmstc
05-01-2008, 09:26 PM
It's bead blasted stainless steel. The black bodies were teflon coated.

You can get it powdercoated, but not anodized. Powdercoating is generally pretty cheap. I'd reccommend it over spray painting because most times that doesn't end up looking very nice. :p

dre1919
05-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm an artist, so the quality of the spray painting (to me at least) isn't what worries me. It's how well it sticks to the body and remains there. In other words, if it's going to flake off or have some weird texture or finish, forget that. I wonder if you could paint it with an automotive paint and then seal it with a clear coat?

Andrew

dre1919
05-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Another interesting thought: I'm assuming these bodies are No.9 Bead Blasted Stainless Steel. If so, could you take a design and acid etch it into the body?

Andrew

dre1919
05-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Anyone know where I could get a minimag body acid etched?

Thanks,
Andrew

LK-13
05-13-2008, 03:35 PM
i would recommend going to an auto-body shop and getting them to paint it.
that way you can get wild airbrushing and a pretty hard finish that will adhere to the metal.

dre1919
05-14-2008, 10:28 PM
So automotive paint can stick to it? My brothers have automotive paints, paint guns and a professional spray booth. I just didn't think it would stick to the body...

Dawg047
05-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Oh it will stick. It just won't be as durable as poweder coating but more durable than spray paint.

dre1919
05-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Well, that's OK. I don't plan on beating it against a tree or anything that will truly jack the surface up. :)

Thank all,
Andrew

dre1919
05-20-2008, 11:04 AM
BTW, I see what you mean about the paint on stainless steel. I bought my wife a stainless steel thermos from Wal-Mart that was painted with a gloss red enamel, then probably a clear coat. However, since they didn't primer it (or presumably sand it either) the red is already starting to chip off around the top. Good to know though for future reference.

Thanks,
Andrew

wrencher968
06-04-2008, 04:30 PM
I just noticed your thread and thought I would post my two cents worth. I found some stuff called Duracoat. It is a firearms finish, like paint, but it isn't. It is supposed to be much more durable then automotive paint, but it is still sprayed on. I haven't tried it personally yet, but I did order some for my son's well used 98C. I ordered their matte black finish. It should be here next week. I can keep you posted if you like. I had heard of it before, so I Googled the name and found their web site. They have a lot of different colors and they even have template stickers for camo and other designs. You should check out their web site. Here is the link www.duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/

questionful
06-04-2008, 05:37 PM
They're HUGE on duracoat over on the SO forums. On tippmanns (whatever metal that is) it works great. I would assume it works fine on steel too, but I'm not sure.

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/