PDA

View Full Version : soft spring to med spring ??

SR_matt
05-07-2008, 09:00 AM
hey guys quick question, im swapping my springs out and just want to know what a general adjsutment for my velocity that will get me into the general area so when i go play again i dont have to try and chrono for 30 mins.

i remember 2 full turns from something but i cant remember if it was for this or not

and yes i will be chronoing before i go play again im just trying to speed it up

thanks
-matt

finnmanpa
05-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Each spring has a different velocity range that is most efficient for a level 10 set-up.

You want to test your carrier and initial set-up using the smaller gold spring. Once you have determined the gun fires and doesn't leak then good, your carrier is set.

From that point chrono your gun. The spring you use should be the one that allows you to start shooting the gun at 20 fps less than your desired target velocity. Since most fields are 280 fps limit, and I keep my Mag around 276ish, I shoot to have my Mag start shooting at about 255-260.

(This may be different for you, the field you play at and your target velocity)

To test this start with the smallest spring in your gun, then drop your velocity down just enough to where you gun doesn't have enough input pressure to cycle. Bring up the velocity a little at a time till the gun fires consistently and measure that velocity FPS. This is the reading that should be around 20 fps lower than your desired average velocity. Test each spring in your gun so you know what spring will work effectively at your desired velocity for the day.

Example, I chrono to 276ish to 280 with my red middle spring, and my red middle spring starts shooting around 255 fps. That works great outdoors. But indoors, with velocities limited to 250, the red spring is too strong for my gun to work and I must use the shortest gold spring.