PDA

View Full Version : two classic valves with the same problem HELP!

trigger090
05-10-2008, 03:28 AM
Ok so i have to mag classic valves and from what i see when i take them apart they look correct but when i try to air them up they make a weird howling noise out of the fps adjuster. Im sure there is a quick fix to this problem but im semi new to mags so all advice would be helpful.

Thank You

georgeyew
05-10-2008, 04:40 AM
Check the regulator seats (http://www.airgundesignsusa.com/downloads/valveexplodedview.pdf) . When you take the valves apart, sometimes the seats do not sit perfectly flush anymore. If you have a spare seat, try replacing it. It happened on one of mine before.

Also check out this thread:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=220670&highlight=regulator+seat

kevdupuis
05-10-2008, 07:21 AM
I'd check the regulator piston and oring, it could be a bad oring and air is leaking past it. I think it would be a good idea for you to pick up a classic valve oring kit (here (http://store.airgundesignsusa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=7&categoryID=18) ) and to clean and rebuild the valves.

trigger090
05-10-2008, 12:32 PM
ok thank you guys i will try it and see what happens.

Beemer
05-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Did they work before you took them apart? How old are the valves? Whats the serial numbers on them? Just wondering.

How far screwed in is the velocity adjustment.

No offense but are you sure you reasembled correctly? Thats why I ask what was the original problem. First you have to verify it is together right. Here is a link to a blow up view of the classic valve. Use it as your guide. Make sure the spring pack and reg piston is right way in.

http://www.airgundesignsusa.com/downloads/valveexplodedview.pdf

Make sure everything is shiny clean inside and out. Make sure where the reg seat sits is clean.
Inspect the reg piston oring. Put a light coating of any grease on the spring pack and put a few drops of oil on the piston ring.

Dont worry about a new reg seat for right now. You will need to replace it later tho.

Once you verify assembly try it again. Dont screw in the velocity adj. to far to start. If nothing happens when you air up start turning it in.

Come to think of it try that first. Unscrew the adjustment some and try it. Maybe you just screwed it in way to far. Let us know. :cheers:

Oh ya.............Good link george, so good I posted it again.

trigger090
05-11-2008, 03:36 AM
ya its put together right and i did not screw the velocity adj in too far but it is still happening and one of the valves has three stars so i might just have to send it in.

Beemer
05-11-2008, 08:41 PM
ya its put together right and i did not screw the velocity adj in too far but it is still happening and one of the valves has three stars so i might just have to send it in.

Bah you wont learn anything that way. Whats the rest of the story on the valves.[history]
Did you buy them used. Does your reg pistons and spring packs look exactly like the one in the PDF link pic? Does the other valve have any stars?

athomas
05-12-2008, 10:03 AM
When you take the valves apart, if the regulator seat orings are broken in, they may leak if you put the valve back together without replacing them. If you don't touch or move the orings then you may be ok, but generally if there is any age on the reg seat orings, they will need to be replaced.

trigger090
05-12-2008, 03:32 PM
I did have one oring for the back part of the valve and now that one doesnt leak but there was no visible damage on it and the reg seat looks fine on both of them. I bought a big parts kit a while ago and it should be getting here soon so i will replace everything and see what that does. and as for the other valve having any stars, the answer is no so im kinda screwed if this doesnt work. as for the history of the valves they were both used and so i dunno cause i am an impulse buyer when it comes to craigslist and ebay!

P.S. I have gotten the three star valve to work and just waiting for my parts kit to come and i believe that the other will work. So thank you guys for all your help and answers to my pathetic questions.

athomas
05-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Mag valves can generally be fixed with just oring changes. That is the great thing about them. They don't have spots that wear out like other guns that have moving parts against aluminum.

Orings can be bad due to impregnated dirt even though they look fine. Plus, with age they can harden so that they no longer seal properly against a smooth surface.

As for the reg seat, it can look fine, but there is a circular groove where one half of the valve seals against it. Its this groove that leaks if you take an older valve apart and put it back together. With a fresh regulator seat oring, it is still pliable enough to reform, but older ones just leak when they don't line up perfectly with the original groove. That is why we always recommend replacing this oring when you take a valve apart if it is not fairly new.

trigger090
05-12-2008, 05:43 PM
you guys are amazing thank you!!!

Beemer
05-12-2008, 11:44 PM
That is why we always recommend replacing this oring when you take a valve apart if it is not fairly new.

Yes pay attention to this part. When all is good with new reg seat leave it alone. As in dont break the seal unless you have an issue. If you do have to break the valve because of an issue, start with new seat.

trevorjk
05-13-2008, 12:14 AM
when you turn the velocity adjuster further in does the air coming out of the back get louder and more forceful?

might be regulator pistons

nm, im slow and cant read :)