PDA

View Full Version : xbox controller as mouse

Hilltop Customs
05-11-2008, 12:54 AM
I use my computer in my home theater, and Ive gotten tired of using a mouse and having to have a surface to put it on. I was considring getting one of the mice with gyros or an USB to IR dongel for a remote.....but both those cost money, which I dont really have much to spare right now.

Long story short, I'm using a xbox controller as a moust for my home theater pc....and it is great, Its slightly slower than a moust from point to point, but the shortcuts are amazing. You can hotkey just about every button on the control for different commands, and you can have alturnate button layouts and switch between them on the fly. Couple that with a onscreen virtual keyboad and you dont need a mouse or keyboad at all(now for posting and stuff with alot of type, of course you can always use a keyboad)

Anyhow I'm just so happy with how well it works I thought I would share. I know there is a lot of old xbox controllers that are gathering dust, and this is a great way to use them. All you need is a controller and a usb cord(or cut the end off something) and some programs which I'm linking.

Connecting the controller is as simple as sinpping the usb cable and controller wire and color matching(best to solder, but Ive twisted/taped one be4 and its working to this day)

Driver(just install and select when adding the controller as hardware)
http://www.redcl0ud.com/xbcd.html#download

After connecting the controller and installing the driver...you must install the program to add commands:
http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/2/I/JoyToKey/JoyToKey.htm

To figure out which button number relates to which physical button on the stick, assign letters to all the buttons in JoyToKey, open notepad and click the buttons on the controller one at a time....depending on which letter pops up you can relate it back to JoytoKey and assign commands from there.

THe only thing I need to find out yet is some way to create a pop up bouble that says what button layout I'm in, but that shouldnt be hard since you can make it execute whatever you want.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I'm just so impressed by this, I'm surprised someone hasnt came out and marketed it. Surfing the net is easy, folder navigation is so fast cause all the controls are hotkeyed at your fingertips. I'm even thinking I'm going to replace my regular computers mouse with another controller.

Ninjeff
05-11-2008, 01:53 AM
the new Xbox 360 controllers are USB.

I love it.

Hilltop Customs
05-11-2008, 02:00 AM
yea they can be used with that joy2key software too, any gamepad works. All I have is wireless 360 controllers...they can be used with the usb dongle, but that costs money, this was free....and its hard to beat free.

Ninjeff
05-11-2008, 02:03 AM
ah i see.

I purchased a USB wired 360 controller for my pc. I dont own an xbox, but its great for games ported to pc, like Assassins Creed or racing games. I sometimes use it as a mouse when im lazy and want to lean back in my chair.

Hilltop Customs
05-11-2008, 02:31 AM
oh yea I know what you mean, I made a usb xbox controller back when I bought halo 1 for the computer, after playing so long with controllers I didnt like the keyboad/mouse as much. My home theater is in my bedroom, being in bed and using a mouse is just annoying.

Ninjeff
05-13-2008, 10:04 PM
oh, now for first person shooters there is NO substitute for a keyboard and mouse.

Still, im finding new fun applications for using teh 360 controller as an input device all the time. Most involve new and creative ways to be lazy. ;)