PDA

View Full Version : A comparison of the Triton and Logic "Hybrid" frames.

matteusz
05-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Let me start by saying I am heavily biased in posting this. I like rouge and feel he takes feedback seriously on his products. I sold the logic frames and worked with coolhand to get another run done and I like him too. I think they are both good to the automag community and want to encourage ongoing production of their stuff.

Due to the similarities between the two frames and my experience (although limited) with shooting both frames I think this review is overdue.

So first off is the form of these frames. They are both offset to be between a vert 90 deg frame and the traditional 45 angle. They also both have that nice humback form to fit in the palm of your hand. Both fit standard mag mounting holes. Both are aluminum. I think the similarities end there. The rest I will try to categorize and discuss in terms of comparison.

Triggers:
Logic: Massive flat blade style trigger. Sturdy and has predrilled holes for adjusting not only the trigger stop but also sear contact. Trigger cannot be replace with other mag triggers and no one has made anything different.
RPG: Standard automag trigger or you can add in one of Rouges triggers. Lacks the sear contact point adjustment and relies on adjustment of the sear rod.

Safety:
RPG and Logic use standard classic frame safeties. I did not supply them as a standard item when I sold the frames but sold them seperately.

Trigger Gaurd:
This is a preference deal really. If you like huge gaurds then the Logic frame will be more to your liking. If you love slots milled in so you can get your Long allens into the frame easier you will like RGP better. Only drawback with the Logic is you can't fit a foregrip in a classic rail without modification when using it. The RPG frame could crowd you and some may not like the looks of either one. To me it is 6 of 1 half dozen of the other.

Rail:
Logic has an integrated rail milled into in and 4 holes for mounting your asa (allowing for 3 possible positions I believe). Logic frames also come with a jam screw so you can slid an asa on and then set it on place.
RPG has no integrated rail only two holes and is milled out all around. I covered mine with a long rail and like it fine that way. On the Triton you are either adding a rail or screwing on a two hole inline asa.

Grips:
RPG comes with standard dye grips.
Logic doesn't come with em.

I haven't found a set that fits perfect on either frame. I am thinking houges are the best bet.

Fit:
Both frames work very well on about any mag. Again a user preference issue. As far as how they fit and feel in your hand, you don't have my hands so hard to say. I also haven't seen an older logic frame so I can only reference the one's I sold. These had an added feature of having the back edges (where your palm rests on the grip) rounded instead of square. This was a good example of coolhand taking in feedback from the community and making his product better.

All that being said I personally prefer the feel of the triton. The angle is just a little more comfortable and the rounding a little more natural feeling to me.

I also didn't have to do any work on the Triton's so I think they are easier to assemble. Then again anything someone else does is usually "easier!"

I wonder if the Triton's would exist if not for the UMF's. I also wonder if I should be adding in the inteliframe to the comparison. Anyway all in all mostly just some info on the two frames. I would love to know what others think of them. Given the current availability of the Triton's and limited supply of Logics I am fairly sure more people will eventually own Tritons. They are also not as expensive. I am curious what you all think?

If anyone turns this into a Logic vs. RPG thread and starts bashing I swear I will hurt you in some lasting way (ok just sic mods on you and be angry). Both these guys do great things for us. We should remember they are people first and producers of goods second. More importantly to me we should encourage them to keep making stuff and to make it better for us by honestly looking at what it is and how it does or doesn't meet our needs.

Ok what did I miss and what do you all think?

robertsr1811
05-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Pictures.

Caveman Robert can't read and would like some pictures. :)

ThePixelGuru
05-11-2008, 08:33 PM
If I were going to get one of these frames, it'd be the Triton for two reasons.

1. I could put it on my classic rail with a foregrip.
2. I could put other triggers in it.

I'm no fan of Rogue, but there's nothing wrong with his products.

mobsterboy
05-12-2008, 10:13 AM
not having felt the triton I feel like I'm at a bit of an unbalance for comparing them. But I will say I was extremely surprised when I held the Logic frame. It was very comfortable, I loved the trigger and I was dying to make some sort of pneumag or EP Mag out of it, although it did just fine in mech for me. What i like best about Logic stuff is that its got quality and people (well except goinghome for a while there) dont try and get an arm and a leg for it in resale.

SithSteve
05-12-2008, 12:44 PM
I recently got a UMF and I also have a Chimera frame. Now, I know the Chimera is a 90* frame where the Triton is "hybrid," but the trigger guards are the same (from what I've seen). Unless you have a PneuMag or another walkable configuration, finger space shouldn't be an issue. However, I find that the UMF has TONS of space to accommodate whatever shooting style you might have. One main drawback is that huge trigger guard comes with a price. As matteusz stated, you are limited as to what type of rail you mount this beast on (mine is on a RPG-RT style rail). The Triton is much tighter which allows you to mount it to just about anything out there, plus you'll still be able to have room for a foregip.

Another difference is finish. The UMF I have came anoed a gloss black finish... Same goes for the Chimera. The RPG frame wins in the "finish" category. The UMF seems to have a much "thinner" ano which gives it a sort of uneven look... Now, keep in mind that I have a VERY critical eye. Overall, the Chimera (again, I know it's NOT the same frame, but I'm sure it's the same grade of aluminum and ano) has a much smoother, deeper finish to it.

Last is price. If you are dead set on getting either one of these frames, be ready to dish out some $$$. Overall, the Triton might seem cheaper, but if you decide to add a Splinter or Viperblade trigger, all the sudden you're looking at between $150 and $170. The upside is that it comes anoed has grips, and has a lot of trigger options. On the other hand, the UMF has fewer options since you are stuck with the trigger it comes with. Mine had no grips, but that wasn't that big of a deal to me (just get yourself a set of Dye Stickies and you'll be good to go). The UMF also can be found in raw finish which is nice if you plan on sending your stuff out to get that hot ano you always wanted.

Overall, these are both excellent products and I would recommend either one. In the end, it all comes down to personal preference. As long as YOU are happy with YOUR marker, then that's all that really matters!!!

:cheers: