PDA

View Full Version : Well I finally went and did it...

kurtisqpublic
05-12-2008, 09:46 AM
After years in the sport back in the early 90s I took a break due to burnout on tournaments, etc. I've been getting back into playing over the last two years because my nephew has picked up some interest in playing. I held true to my old school roots the whole time. Well last week I was down at Paintball Daves to get some tank rings for a super old school nitro tank I have and I did the unthinkable. Walked in looking for tank rings walked out with an Invert Mini and a used Pulse loader! I went and bought an electro and I'm really liking it! But I do feel kind of guilty that may old cocker and Classic RT maybe sidelined by this new gun.

punkncat
05-12-2008, 09:48 AM
I really enjoy my Mini. It has been a great little marker, especially for the price.

kurtisqpublic
05-12-2008, 09:50 AM
I picked it up for the fun of it and it just felt right. I've actually had a hard time putting it down and the price was really right on the package deal.
Only problem is I can't bring myself to put up with the folks on the nation to get advice on the thing. Do you have any good advice or pointers?

punkncat
05-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Use an LP tank with it. Not because you have to, but because it will unscrew much easier. I have heard people say they just run the tank out and then unscrew it.

I am going to assume that you already have a decent cocker threaded barrel. The stock one stinks.

I really like the stock board, although you will find many that don't....the only thing other than the barrel that found really needs changing are the detents. Although I never have gotten around to changing mine.

I really can't think of much else except to clean and lube it frequently. Oh also IF you happen to start chopping paint, be mindful that the eye holes will allow paint to run right onto the board.

trevorjk
05-12-2008, 10:09 AM
I picked it up for the fun of it and it just felt right. I've actually had a hard time putting it down and the price was really right on the package deal.
Only problem is I can't bring myself to put up with the folks on the nation to get advice on the thing. Do you have any good advice or pointers?

sure :)

the gun stock is amazing! as for upgrades, there really isnt any.

best upgrade bar none for the mini.... New Designz V2 with Spring kit. there bolt with the blue spring makes the gun very soft on paint, and increases efficiency. but at the cost of rate of fire. but with that bolt and blue spring you can still easily reach 15-17bps

http://www.newdesignz.com/InvertMINI.htm
http://www.newdesignz.com/InvertMINI_2.htm

buy those here
pbgear for $50 (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=YaEY49iYOlQYfJCwA8zYS9I-xOGtPzUjl5w=?ProductID=_EbAqArbpeQAAAEYxcKhRIB5)

as for lube, get LURKER LUBE! (http://www.lurkerpaintball.com/lurkerlube.html) - hands down best lube for the mini.

there are some after market triggers - but TheBetterOnes (http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2627429) are apparently the best - also there are other brands, but everyone is raving about these triggers, and they are only $35

there are some aftermarket boards - but for $75 get the 7th element (http://www.theseventhelement.com/product/boards/mini.htm) board - same features as every board out there, but $25-$75 cheaper and comes with life time warrenty. excellent board

and a useful item for the mini. the New Designz Thread Saver. has an on/off purge for your tank to help save the threads.

pbgear $30 (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=YaEY49iYOlQYfJCwA8zYS9I-xOGtPzUjl5w=?ProductID=kXLAqArb8iQAAAEWlrNxB_4w)

Feednecks = ion/impulse threaded
Barrels = cocker threads
grips = mini specific, but there are plenty of styles to choose from

any other questions just ask

kurtisqpublic
05-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Yes I was thinking about getting a smaller and lower pressure tank. That way I could keep the high pressure tanks for the RT and Cocker. I've got some nice cocker barrels but my favorite, a custom D.A.C. barrel that a French player gave me at the Zap am open back in the day is too wide to fit the mini
:(
All my other cocker barrels are stainless (bought the gun way before stuff like the freak existed).

I take it the lube to use is Dow 33 or the stuff in the little carmex looking tin that came with the gun?

Spencer
05-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Because of this thread I am considering a mini over a PMR for a new backup marker..

How do Mini's compare to PMR's in loudness..

Or just answer this are they loud?

punkncat
05-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Dow works fine.

Nice info posted above.

trevorjk
05-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Use an LP tank with it. Not because you have to, but because it will unscrew much easier. I have heard people say they just run the tank out and then unscrew it.

I am going to assume that you already have a decent cocker threaded barrel. The stock one stinks.

I really like the stock board, although you will find many that don't....the only thing other than the barrel that found really needs changing are the detents. Although I never have gotten around to changing mine.

I really can't think of much else except to clean and lube it frequently. Oh also IF you happen to start chopping paint, be mindful that the eye holes will allow paint to run right onto the board.

to elaborate a bit. the stock board is great! however, there is no mechanic anti-bounce software on the stock board. and with the trigger being a H.A.L Sensor it is VERY easy to set the trigger to the point of full auto bounce. so with an after market board, you can get the trigger that super tight and not have bounce because of the anti-bounce software. ---- that is pretty much the only flaw of the stock board.

as for detents, they are alright. like on any gun, just alright. they get the job done. but if you want better get Kila Detents. pbgear = $25 for a pair - comes in all colors (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=eH1OhJK8I4dORdqUHHGOLJgax9I3jRMNe6g=?Pro ductID=c1zAqArbSHwAAAESjPQHibVO)

kurtisqpublic
05-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Much appreciated guys! I'm old and this new technology is kind of like showing a caveman fire! :D

To answer the question above. To me the mini is pretty darn quiet.

trevorjk
05-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Because of this thread I am considering a mini over a PMR for a new backup marker..

How do Mini's compare to PMR's in loudness..

Or just answer this are they loud?

it varies on what barrel you are using and how much porting there is. so its a tough question to answer, however the mini has a distinct sound signature. but you have to pay attention to tell the difference

the pmr is naturally going to be quiter with its true spool valve design. but its going to cost you more then a mini will after you upgrade the trigger frame and trigger like most PMR buyers do

trevorjk
05-12-2008, 10:21 AM
and kurtis, where in Wisconsin are you from? ive shot mini's exclusively for a year and a half now, and have bought one for the gf, and got all my buddies hooked.

so if you ever need any help, i work at paintball Sally's in Salem Wisconsin every saturday. and id gladly give you a free lesson on the mini :)

Spencer
05-12-2008, 10:21 AM
it varies on what barrel you are using and how much porting there is. so its a tough question to answer, however the mini has a distinct sound signature. but you have to pay attention to tell the difference

the pmr is naturally going to be quiter with its true spool valve design. but its going to cost you more then a mini will after you upgrade the trigger frame and trigger like most PMR buyers do

Funny I heard about 3 people so far say the PMR is much louder...

Im using a 16" Deadly wind barrel so it will be about as quitet as it can get, But I hate loud markers...

So its either a PMR or a MINI..

trevorjk
05-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Funny I heard about 3 people so far say the PMR is much louder...

Im using a 16" Deadly wind barrel so it will be about as quitet as it can get, But I hate loud markers...

So its either a PMR or a MINI..

well the differences in sound levels are very tiny. the sound signature though is where you can tell the difference. by all means they are not loud guns, but they are not the quitest.

kurtisqpublic
05-12-2008, 10:47 AM
and kurtis, where in Wisconsin are you from? ive shot mini's exclusively for a year and a half now, and have bought one for the gf, and got all my buddies hooked.

so if you ever need any help, i work at paintball Sally's in Salem Wisconsin every saturday. and id gladly give you a free lesson on the mini :)

Thanks Trev! I may take you up on that! I live in Milwaukee but I'm in the paintball Sally's neck of the woods a few times a week. More often Thursdays than Saturdays. In the past splat camp was always my home field but i think a may try sams soon so that would give me an excuse to zip down that way. Does Sam's do Saturday walk ons or are they a sunday only field?

trevorjk
05-12-2008, 11:04 AM
walks on on saturday and sunday. just pick a good day with good weather and you should get a decent game going. :)

the sunday the 25th ill be out at sams playing with a few buddys :) come on out then :cool:

kurtisqpublic
05-12-2008, 11:45 AM
walks on on saturday and sunday. just pick a good day with good weather and you should get a decent game going. :)

the sunday the 25th ill be out at sams playing with a few buddys :) come on out then :cool:

What are the paint prices like now? Are open game BYOP? What are the field fees like at Sam's now? Just trying to get a good feel. Daves I know what to expect... Sams I'd need some info.
Also if I bring some super noobs will they feel freaked out or will they be ok? What type of fees will they be up against for rentals and stuff?

trevorjk
05-12-2008, 12:05 PM
What are the paint prices like now? Are open game BYOP? What are the field fees like at Sam's now? Just trying to get a good feel. Daves I know what to expect... Sams I'd need some info.
Also if I bring some super noobs will they feel freaked out or will they be ok? What type of fees will they be up against for rentals and stuff?

on a normal open play day it is $25 to get in and it IS BYOP. however you can buy there paint for $75 a case.

as for noobs playing, they should be fine. as long as they KNOW that when they are hit, they are out. the regulars know 2-3 hits to get some one out... if they dont get out they will be bonus balled or get alot of trash talking. (but this is pretty much anywhere)

as for saturday and sunday the 24'th and 25'th

May 24th and 25th, Memorial Day Week-End

Only a Ten dollar field fee! Bring your own paint!

so $10 plus paint and air :)

Bolter
05-12-2008, 01:44 PM
I made a thread out of different threads I found on the nation.

http://www.p8ntballer-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=100899

you are welcome to browse, and PM me if you have any problems or questions. Im no expert, but I can solve most issues.

As for upgrades, there are loads, but they are much of a muchness really as the stock parts are so good! I recently won the AO fastest fingers competition by using the mini. My results with the tadeo board was noticeably lower than when I used the stock board. So I entered that video.

video at www.youtube.com/abolter

Spider-TW
05-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Oh also IF you happen to start chopping paint, be mindful that the eye holes will allow paint to run right onto the board.I will offer up a couple of observations of two team mates and maybe you guys can confirm or deny them. I don't have a mini.

First, one team mate took a direct hit to the front grip door and the paint ran into the board and shut it down. I think he is left handed and that may expose that side more. He also called them up and they sent him a new board, no charge.

Second, other team mate took his bolt spring off to clean it and put it back on upside down. It is designed tighter on the back than in the front, so the end of the spring dug a groove into the aluminum bolt. Looks ugly and needs to be smoothed out.

Are these real and/or common? The board problem seems common. The bolt problem seems odd. You would think they would seal that board compartment or maybe the aftermarket boards are conformally coated?

Bolter
05-12-2008, 03:13 PM
I believe the newer boards come coated.

As for the spring, it is conical and only goes on one way round. The other way = bad things to the bolt and paint. May need a new bolt if he gets problems.

Have heard of both these issues many times.

Spencer
05-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Because of this thread I am buying a MINI.. lol

kurtisqpublic
05-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Cool deal! :D

Spencer
05-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Got my mini, great little marker with my 16" Deadly wind barrel, very quiet, very fast..

I know this doesn't make sense but my mini shoots so fast with my gravity fed hopper, so much faster than the ion.. I mean its strange how fast it shoots.... Saved me 100$ on ahalo..

kurtisqpublic
05-15-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm assuming you are sencer fitch over on the nation? Those guys really get me with how uptight they are. Glad to hear the gun is working for you. I have my trigger tuned nicely and may get out to play a few games this weekend. I got a used pulse loader for $10. Super fast speed but it sure aint a stealthy piece of equipment! I have to say I'm lovin' my move to the mini too. Of course I still have my mech cocker and mag for backup.

Spencer
05-15-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm assuming you are sencer fitch over on the nation? Those guys really get me with how uptight they are. Glad to hear the gun is working for you. I have my trigger tuned nicely and may get out to play a few games this weekend. I got a used pulse loader for $10. Super fast speed but it sure aint a stealthy piece of equipment! I have to say I'm lovin' my move to the mini too. Of course I still have my mech cocker and mag for backup.

Yea thats me, they usually piss me off and make an *** out of me.. I hope to play with it this weekend.. May still be getting an Xmag soon. And agian I can't believe how fast it feeds with a gravity loader..

I know I sound stupid when I say that, but unlike any other marker I have used a gravity fed hopper with were you have to shake it, this thing just works so great with it. I will post a vid.

pump
05-17-2008, 05:48 AM
hey i highly recomend the NDZ TSO, i just got one yesturday for my duckbill bottomline pumps and i have fallen in love, also perfect for that super short myth reg