PDA

View Full Version : Flying up to TunaBall with Nitro Bottles...Help

mag79
05-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Ok, I am flying up to NYC this friday for Tunaball. I will be talking several Nitro Bottles with me.

Last time I flew with a bottle was about 3 years ago and had no problems with TSA, now I know everything is changing by the day with those TSA guys.

I've heard several people around here say that they had to remove the reg from the bottle so that they could look inside.

According to the TSA website you only have to remove the reg if you want to carry on the bottle, but its ok if you cehck it in.

Let me know if any of you guys have had any problems

This is the link to the TSA bottle info:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/compressed_gas.shtm

OEM Petey
05-14-2008, 05:27 PM
"Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carry-on ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside. "

to me it sounds like you must have it removed in either case (carry on or checked in)... thats how I read it though.

maybe someone who has traveled here will chime in soon.. or contact the airlines youre flying with.

TnDeathInc
05-14-2008, 05:40 PM
i have been burned once, even though i contacted southwest ahead of time, what i would d, just in case you get a barney fife TSA agent is ship the bottle to the event.

BigEvil
05-14-2008, 06:15 PM
i have been burned once, even though i contacted southwest ahead of time, what i would d, just in case you get a barney fife TSA agent is ship the bottle to the event.

Yeah dont chance it, remove the regs.

mag79
05-14-2008, 07:09 PM
"Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carry-on ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside. "

to me it sounds like you must have it removed in either case (carry on or checked in)... thats how I read it though.

maybe someone who has traveled here will chime in soon.. or contact the airlines youre flying with.

You're right, I read the damn thing wrong

Smoothice
05-14-2008, 07:39 PM
You're right, I read the damn thing wrong

I read it the same as you. Which makes us both equally :tard:

Now I know as well :cheers:

BAZOOKA_Boy
05-15-2008, 02:40 AM
if you need a way to remove the regs, shocktech makes this nifty thing that actually is made to remove them, its called the flight plan or something like that, I have one, too bad tunaball is too soon, otherwise I would take the regs off for you for free...

so good luck getting them off, if you have access to a mill, make a piece that fits over your reg as tightly as you can without scratching it, and mill a slot part way through so the fill nipple can be fit into, thats what you turn against, I know it sounded crazy like I was gonna break it at first, but it works great, and thats what is recommended anyway.

neppo1345
05-15-2008, 07:00 AM
orrrrr...go to your local shop and let them do it and let them have the liability of monkeying up your bottle/reg.

BREAD_DA_PAINTER
05-15-2008, 11:24 AM
I just removed a reg off of my 4500 by using a pipe strap and held tank with legs.. took alittle force but after the first twist it came off with ease...

gl...

varq
05-15-2008, 08:38 PM
i just removed crossfire reg fairly easily.. just take off the nipples and gauge, grab an adjustable wrench, put on reg and and turn the tank with your hands not the wrench and vuola reg is off safely

Rudz
05-15-2008, 08:49 PM
just a lil muscle

Oregon_pb_
05-16-2008, 10:44 AM
there is a company I won't name that makes regs that are screw off with ease, ie NO LOCTITE. It's something like parts, or brain, I dunno. :ninja:

if your interested in supporting them that is. :cuss:

TnDeathInc
05-16-2008, 01:34 PM
FYI if you have a nice tank cover thats thick like a dye or empire, what i have doine it just lock them in a vice and take a wrench. Never scratched a tank yet.