PDA

View Full Version : Non-Foamie LVL 10 bolt

dstud2000
05-18-2008, 12:16 PM
I am not sure how others feel but I have recently gone through a few foamies the past couple weeks and am getting a little troubled and frustrated. I was wondering of any possibility of a non-foamie lvl 10 bolt exists or might become a possibility....

jade_monkey07
05-18-2008, 12:26 PM
I am not sure how others feel but I have recently gone through a few foamies the past couple weeks and am getting a little troubled and frustrated. I was wondering of any possibility of a non-foamie lvl 10 bolt exists or might become a possibility....

try a diffirent glue to hold them on..i havnt lost one yet but i see how it could be annoying

dstud2000
05-18-2008, 12:28 PM
maybe a 2 part epoxy?

jade_monkey07
05-18-2008, 12:33 PM
that might work. theres a thread in here somewhere that specifies what works best. from memery i think it was just superglue, the thick stuff not the runny stuff. and they mentioned to rough up the face that you glue it to with sandpaper.

dstud2000
05-18-2008, 12:37 PM
thanks I will do a more thorough search, I just got really frustrated with it today.

BigEvil
05-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Clean the face of the bolt really well, if you dont they have a tendency to come off real easy. To attach them, I use a thick superglue (Zap or similar) that is available most anywhere. Try not to use the water thin type, the thicker stuff seems to work better for this.

FiXeL
05-18-2008, 01:57 PM
And one thing you really should not do with a foamie bolt is dry-firing. Somehow the foamies come off faster when you do that. I use instant cement for mine, and when i have to reinstall one i degrease the bolt tip and the foamie. Haven't shot one out for quite a while.

Old School 626
05-18-2008, 02:38 PM
When walking on the field a few months ago I asked Loguzzzzz the same question and the best answer is "none". I've run wihout a foamie for two days of play and have not broken a ball.

Earlier I tried thick super glue, two part epoxy and some other "household cement" cleaning the surfaces very well up to and including kissing it with a dremel to scuff the surface and .... any amount of dry fire would blow off the foamie.

dstud2000
05-18-2008, 04:19 PM
dry firing and foamie's don't like each other, well I guess it makes sense. Though I am going to see if Ken over at KPCS can make me a bolt that doesn't use a foamie or maybe modify the lvl 10 bolt to take a delrin insert in place of the foamie that uses a bolt to hold it in.....hmmmmm now that could be an idea :cool:

maniacmechanic
05-18-2008, 04:50 PM
When walking on the field a few months ago I asked Loguzzzzz the same question and the best answer is "none". I've run wihout a foamie for two days of play and have not broken a ball

same solution that I came up with , I've got quite a few Mags & shoot at least 2 different ones each weekend , some have foamies some don't , none of then break/chop paint , I don't seem to see a difference with foamie or without foamie

Hilltop Customs
05-18-2008, 05:22 PM
same solution that I came up with , I've got quite a few Mags & shoot at least 2 different ones each weekend , some have foamies some don't , none of then break/chop paint , I don't seem to see a difference with foamie or without foamie

same here, my ep mag has been fomieless for the better part of 2 years now, no problems, and I use some crappy paint too.

paint magnet
05-18-2008, 10:41 PM
dry firing and foamie's don't like each other, well I guess it makes sense. Though I am going to see if Ken over at KPCS can make me a bolt that doesn't use a foamie or maybe modify the lvl 10 bolt to take a delrin insert in place of the foamie that uses a bolt to hold it in.....hmmmmm now that could be an idea :cool:

That sounds about like the superbolt. It didn't hold up very well either.

senghing27
05-18-2008, 11:01 PM
wasn't part of the reason for the foamie was for "roll back"?

Ah, i remember the days when I had my mag and i would shoot the foamies across the field by accident and then i would ask tuna for a bunch more... Those were the days

dstud2000
05-19-2008, 06:48 AM
I believe the superbolt used a delrin sleeve over the stainless bolt which is why it was cracking, I am just suggesting replacing the foamie insert with a delrin bumper to prevent rollback like the foamie does, but drill and tap the bolt to screw the insert to prevent rollback. The other idea I had is just a whole new bolt that does not need a foamie.

paint magnet
05-19-2008, 11:31 PM
I believe the superbolt used a delrin sleeve over the stainless bolt which is why it was cracking, I am just suggesting replacing the foamie insert with a delrin bumper to prevent rollback like the foamie does, but drill and tap the bolt to screw the insert to prevent rollback. The other idea I had is just a whole new bolt that does not need a foamie.

You can get a "long-nose" bolt which doesn't need a foamie. I think all level 7 bolts now are the long-nose style...just stay clear of the aftermarket bolts like the ANS.

You should be able to pick one up fairly cheap on the forums from someone who upgraded to the level 10 and doesn't need it any more.

dstud2000
05-21-2008, 08:14 AM
thats the thing, I have a lvl 10 not lvl 7, so a lvl 7 bolt won't help me any.

marked74
05-21-2008, 08:24 AM
thats the thing, I have a lvl 10 not lvl 7, so a lvl 7 bolt won't help me any.
Anyone that upgraded to the lvl 10 should still have all the accompanying parts for the lvl 7, not just the bolt. And one of the springs that comes with the lvl 10 (at least with the lvl 10 kit I jsut bought a couple weeks back) is the same as the lvl 7 spring. I'm hanging on to all my lvl 7 stuff, both because I want to have all my original parts, as well as in case I need to go back to lvl 7 for some reason. But, I do now have three stock length lvl 7 springs. One original, one from the lvl 10 kit, and one from an RT parts kit I bought. So, if you get the carrier, bolt, etc., and need a spring - pm me I'll send one to you.

pmstc
05-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Leave your foamie off. It doesn't do much of anything.

I've never had mine blow off though, and I've been using LX since the beta testing.

dark blade
07-15-2008, 03:08 PM
sorry to revive an almost dead thread but i was just curious... would having a non-rollback bolt effect accuracy and consistancy at all? or just effect breaks

I was playing the other day and wasnt shooting too accurately even with a freak... however, the paint was 2-3 months old and was never anything special to begin with.

jade_monkey07
07-15-2008, 08:09 PM
the paint was 2-3 months old and was never anything special to begin with.:p

questionful
07-15-2008, 09:37 PM
would having a non-rollback bolt effect accuracy and consistancy at all?
No!! Only gnomes would cause anything of the sort. When the ball is in the breech having force applied on it, it doesn't matter what happened before! Closed-bolt, open-bolt, none of it matters in most cases.

Oh, and speaking of non-foamie L10's. . .

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z304/Qful/img_0830.jpg