PDA

View Full Version : phoenix body-what ype of aluminum?

Chronobreak
05-21-2008, 04:29 PM
for those of you who have annod your phoenix bodies what type of alum is it?

xmagterror has not responded in his thread yet

thefool
05-21-2008, 10:11 PM
alum mag bodies are all 7 series. They are a pain to anno well because of that. But they have to be cause of the stresses caused by the actual action of the gun.

rkjunior303
05-21-2008, 10:36 PM
which was why those IT bodies were junk - they were made with 6061.

maniacmechanic
05-22-2008, 04:01 AM
alum mag bodies are all 7 series. They are a pain to anno well because of that. But they have to be cause of the stresses caused by the actual action of the gun.

technically these are not " Mag " bodies but anyway ( unless you used a sluggo )
I would have thought the higher grades of aluminum would be easier to anno , due to the fact it is a higher quality metal
what type of problems do you run into when doing bodies

Chronobreak
05-22-2008, 07:25 AM
all the phoenix bodies i have seen annod have turned out excellent, the annoer just needs to know what type of alum to do it correctly.

thanks for the help as usual guys,

Loguzzzzzz
05-22-2008, 11:23 AM
The Phoenix and Ripper bodies were machined from 7075 aluminum. The Phoenix rails are 6061.

:)

chafnerjr
05-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Just for the sake of curiosity... what type of aluminum are ULE bodies made from (and by association PRG rogue and exile bodies)???

angrysasquatch
05-22-2008, 05:49 PM
This kind:

He's an anodizer, so I'm going to assume he's correct.

BAZOOKA_Boy
05-23-2008, 04:09 AM
its not nessicarly that they are a "pain" to ano, its more they they take the dyes at a different rate than other grades, I am even doing one now, as I type this, well its in the ano bath, but still, they take to the color so much faster than other grades, which is a good and a bad thing, good thing, its easy to make it black, bad thing, I have to do 2 colors, and make them match the rail :eek:

oh, and BTW, the Xvalves are the same 7xxx series alum as the body :D

PhoenixWolf
05-23-2008, 05:04 PM
It's also worth noting that the newer ULE rails are a higher-grade aluminum than the older non-ULE ones. You cannot have an old rail aftermarket milled to the same weight as a new ULE rail because they would lose their structural integrity. You can get fairly close, but the modern rail will always be lighter.

thefool
05-23-2008, 05:56 PM
its not nessicarly that they are a "pain" to ano, its more they they take the dyes at a different rate than other grades, I am even doing one now, as I type this, well its in the ano bath, but still, they take to the color so much faster than other grades, which is a good and a bad thing, good thing, its easy to make it black, bad thing, I have to do 2 colors, and make them match the rail :eek:

oh, and BTW, the Xvalves are the same 7xxx series alum as the body :D
Their a pain for more reasons than just the speed at which they take color, if you test the thickness of your anno youll see that if you ever anno them at with different alloys, they will have a different thickness. 7xxx and 2xxx alloys like to pull different voltages than the equivalent 6xxx piece for the same current density.

Also with color, because dyes are inherently mixed for some of them you start getting different shades if you dont go for a saturated color.

BAZOOKA_Boy
05-28-2008, 04:42 PM
oh yea, I know exactly what you ment, it takes the dye so much faster its rediculus, which is a great thing if your doing black, but colors take some patience I have found...

Xmagterror
06-01-2008, 08:50 AM
The Phoenix and Ripper bodies were machined from 7075 aluminum. The Phoenix rails are 6061.

:)

you are correct sir!!!!!!

AGD used 7075 for the slugs so shops could mill them to .055" wall thickness and they would still hold up. with that said the Ripper bodies are built like a tank and he phoenix design comes in 2nd. the only real wear point on the body is where the spring seats down in the bore...the stainless washer fixes that problem.

6061 works fine for unibodies. The Xmag was made from 6061 or 6063....one of the two.