PDA

View Full Version : JT Spectra problem

snoopay700
05-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Well i love my Spectras, but i may buy the rest of the invision set soon if i find that this is just a flaw with spectras (i bought the goggles before i started because my friend's dad said we could make our own mask, but rules also changed since the last time he played, so i've had a new set of invision goggles sitting around for about 5 years).

Ok, my first lens in my spectras got a small crack on the inside lens at the bridge of the nose, and it was only about 1/4 of an inch to 1/2 of an inch up the lens. I figured it wasn't a big deal, it still kept them from fogging. Then i pulled out my goggles and found i hadn't cleaned them in a month so i hurriedly washed them so i could go play, and they started fogging up like nothing else. Well after that little fiasco i decided to get a new lens. Well somewhere down the line that crack appeared in the same freaking spot, and during the big game a few weeks ago when i was carrying my mask some rain got in and in the later games the insides of the two lenses started to fog up. I'm just wondering if this crack is normal with people that have this mask, or if i've been doing something wrong, or what, because i remember seeing a guy who had a crack up the entire inside lens, and i at first thought his main lens was cracked down the middle, so i just don't know if this is a normal occurrence. If it is i suppose that i'll have to get the rest of the Dye mask, even though it's expensive and it doesn't have as wide of a field of view... :(

Sumthinwicked
05-25-2008, 03:05 PM
kill the spectra and get aflex ize / flex 7 or flex 8 the 10s are meh not so great the camo flex 8 is nice if you buy in a store or online in walmart they have the specrta camo one but its mighty ghetto in retrospect :rolleyes:

snoopay700
05-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Well my questoin is more about the lenses. I love the rest of the mask, and don't really have the money to spend on a different bottom for the mask if the lenses are still gonna crack, so i just want to know if it's a common problem, or what i can do to prevent it.

Sumthinwicked
05-25-2008, 03:45 PM
never happened to me

XMAG-XT00125
05-25-2008, 04:34 PM
I've only had this problem once in 10 years using spectra lenses and i would have to say it was my own fault due to the way i handled them when putting the lense back into the frame.
From what I've seen from the field spectras we have it comes down to ppl abusing them, dropping them etc which causes cracks also so maybe just a bit more care when handling them may be in order.
There is one thing I have noticed with my last 2 sets of thermals and that is that the rubber seal between the two lenses seems to have less sticking ability, letting the lenses part company and of course ruining the thermal ability of it...

snoopay700
05-25-2008, 05:04 PM
I've only had this problem once in 10 years using spectra lenses and i would have to say it was my own fault due to the way i handled them when putting the lense back into the frame.
From what I've seen from the field spectras we have it comes down to ppl abusing them, dropping them etc which causes cracks also so maybe just a bit more care when handling them may be in order.
There is one thing I have noticed with my last 2 sets of thermals and that is that the rubber seal between the two lenses seems to have less sticking ability, letting the lenses part company and of course ruining the thermal ability of it...
Yeah, thinking back i think it's how i put both of them back into the frame. I thought i handled them pretty gently too, argh. Do you have any tips on how to prevent this so that it doesn't happen in the future?

mtaylor
05-25-2008, 05:16 PM
This is the same problem I've had with a few pairs of (snow) goggles. I think the crack comes from flexing of the frames.

Sumthinwicked
05-25-2008, 05:27 PM
from what i remember about gogs in the store(working for the field) especially spectras mind u its been years but a hot water soak and soap helps ease them in the frame

snoopay700
05-25-2008, 05:34 PM
from what i remember about gogs in the store(working for the field) especially spectras mind u its been years but a hot water soak and soap helps ease them in the frame
YEah, since i have the older stiffer goggle frames they might be a bit too stiff and i'm just not good enough to do it with that frame. I'll figure something out in the end.